Harvard or Prison?

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
However, your comment about rolling old laws into new ones is something I hadn't foreseen. It is easily addressed.
Not really, the congresscritters are too sophisticated, and have too much discretion for anything like that to be practically enforceable.

There are far too many ways for the powers that be to circumvent things like this. The law can provide executive discretion - effectively the unilateral ability to make decisions about what's allowed - to a separate department. For example, the FCC can decide what it's going to allow to be broadcast independently of the legislature. Similarly, you could look into the 27th Amendment, which led the Congress to vote itself 'cost of living increases' rather than raises.

wolram
Gold Member
All one has to do to make the penal system work is to make the inmates work, a non profit making, or at least break even penal system is crazy.

All one has to do to make the penal system work is to make the inmates work, a non profit making, or at least break even penal system is crazy.
Sounds like a plan. If you can't find a job, rob a bank. Only bungle it so you can get a job. It's a win-win situation.

I'm afraid I have to go with having inmates fight two-on-two until one of them dies. It is much more humane and the government saves on electricity or chemicals. Also, this would enable us to start a betting game. Naturally, the matches would be settled before-hand to maximize government winnings.

wolram
Gold Member
Sounds like a plan. If you can't find a job, rob a bank. Only bungle it so you can get a job. It's a win-win situation.

That was my plan for retirement as the present system stands, but with a higher possibility of getting away Scot free.

jimmysnyder, how about a point system that legislature could be allotted to spend on each law they write. Say, 1 point for each word of a law, with 1000 points to spend. And bonus points awarded for especially effective laws and voter confidence.

Should come up with a spinner, too.

Last edited:
Yeah, kill off all them lousy pot smokers and jay walkers. That will make this a much better nation. The good news is that your prison population will decline. The bad news is that your murder rate will drastically increase. But at least it might save a few dollars.

Evo
Mentor
Yeah, kill off all them lousy pot smokers and jay walkers. That will make this a much better nation. The good news is that your prison population will decline. The bad news is that your murder rate will drastically increase. But at least it might save a few dollars.
Now wait a minute, are you saying that pot smokers and jay walkers prevent murder? :bugeye:

Now wait a minute, are you saying that pot smokers and jay walkers prevent murder? :bugeye:
If you killed off the jay-walkers in Phila., there wouldn't be anyone left except murderers. The murder rate would go way up, but only for a short while. After that it would be peace and quiet. I'm in.

My father when asked if he thought OJ Simpson was guilty responded, "I think it's a shame what it costs to prove your innocence these days."

Get rid of victimless crimes.