Harvard President Shows His Bias

In summary, the president of Harvard University has caused controversy by stating that men outperform women in math and science due to biological differences and that discrimination is no longer a barrier for female academics. This statement has been met with criticism and accusations of sexism. Some argue that societal biases and discouragement play a large role in the underrepresentation of women in these fields. However, others point to scientific evidence of differences in brain density and size between men and women. The issue of gender and intelligence remains a contentious topic.
I'll tell you the reason for fewer women than men in science--CHOICE. Choice is something that no one can ultimately control.

But one has to ask why a woman would make a choice - not to go into science. Do women choose an alternative path because they find something better or more rewarding? Or do they choose an alternative path because they are discouraged through indifference or harrassment or some other hostile attitude from male peers and/or superiors?

I have both seen positive and negative environments for women in science and technology. And I know for a fact that some organizations have allowed an environment so uncomfortable for women that the only choice for the women is to quit (although some stick it out). That is effectively 'coercion' and that is wrong. Thankfully, not all organizations are like that.

These days, the professional environment seems much better for women, but I can't be everywhere so I don't know how much better it is.

I have 'politics' in some large companies that woud make your eyes roll. All that is hidden from the public and shareholders. The best and brightest are not always promoted (and that goes for men too).

Back