Is the American Media Prioritizing Sensationalism Over Real Issues?

• News
  • Thread starter Tarheel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes discussions about the media's coverage of trivial topics instead of more pressing issues such as war and government corruption. One person expresses frustration with the media's focus on non-stories and wonders if Americans are too eager to be offended. They also mention being offended by various issues, including the war and government priorities. Another person defends the media's coverage, stating that there is a delineation between types of news and that major issues are still being covered. The conversation then turns to a debate about whether or not the media has turned a blind eye to certain topics, with one person citing examples and the other defending the media's coverage. The conversation ends with one person calling another a fool for defending the current administration.
Tarheel
I was appalled yesterday to see several major media outlets covering such bubble gum topics as "Offensive Abercrombie & Finch T Shirts".

With the war and corruption in government has the US Media dropped the ball or do people just not care?

I remember hearing a comedian say how he believes Americans are "Eager to be offended"
Is this what drives such non-stories into our Media other than things that really matter? IT OFFENDS ME! :grumpy:

I would be offended if my child were to come home from some godforsaken hell hole missing a leg or worse so G-Dubs buddies can make a few dollars.

I am offended that the Oil Companies just posted record profits.

I am offended that the US Government strong arms people that don't play along with their crooked "War on Terror" by exposing their loved ones and putting them in harms way.

I am offended that our Government does not have the well being of the common citizen as their 1st priority. (and they haven't for a looooong time)

But I couldn't care less if Abercrombie & Fitch sells a T Shirt that reads "I had a nightmare I was a Brunette" If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!

With the Media turning a blind eye to such injustices will America ever be able to WAKE UP?

Physics news on Phys.org
The American Media dropped the ball? Wait... when did they even have a ball in the first place?

Putting aside the stupidity of certain 'newsworthy' items, you have to realize there is a delineation of the news according to the scope of the program. Your local news station and newspapers are often going to carry trivial items, simply because there isn't a lot going on in your backyard unless you live in a major city. It's not like war-related and other international items aren't being covered. They are on the front pages and top segments of programs constantly. The problem there is with the quality of the coverage. Every program/paper seems to cover the same things while leaving out an awful lot that is happening.

Tarheel said:
I would be offended if my child were to come home from some godforsaken hell hole missing a leg or worse so G-Dubs buddies can make a few dollars.
I am offended that the US Government strong arms people that don't play along with their crooked "War on Terror" by exposing their loved ones and putting them in harms way.
I am offended that our Government does not have the well being of the common citizen as their 1st priority.
With the Media turning a blind eye to such injustices will America ever be able to WAKE UP?

Simply put, I don't know how you can say that the media has turned a blind eye to these topics. The 2000 mark on the death toll, oil company profits, and the whole Wilson/Plame issue have been all over the place. If you want nothing but these topics covered, then I guess they've dropped the ball for you, but it's not like these events are being ignored.

haha and after reading the OP, i wonder how people can say its the media who are the ones who super-sensationalize every fart in the wind. Can you be any more dramatic? Get off your soap box...

I hardly consider the things I mentioned as "farts in the wind" but I guess they are trivial for you.

Tarheel said:

Thats odd because you are probably at fault. Record numbers of people are driving. And of course, only 1 company reported that. Would you be offended if Microsoft posted record profits after releasing a new operating system to a country with a record number of computer users? Thought not.

Tarheel said:

1 case, sensationalism and opinion.

Tarheel said:
I am offended that our Government does not have the well being of the common citizen as their 1st priority.

0 cases, sensationalism and banter.

Pengwuino said:
Thats odd because you are probably at fault. Record numbers of people are driving. And of course, only 1 company reported that.

You're right, it's my fault.
I drove 40 million miles last fiscal qtr.
=OR= Gas prices were needlessly raised to over 3 dollars a gallon, using natural disaster as an excuse to empty the pockets of the working man.

Pengwuino said:
Would you be offended if Microsoft posted record profits after releasing a new operating system to a country with a record number of computer users? Thought not.

Huh? Thats not even remotely similar.
If Software suddenly became unreasonably overpriced, people wouldn't buy it.
It's not like you have to upgrade your OS once a week or your computer stops working.
No gas = No car = No work.
YOU HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE TO GAS.

Pengwuino said:
1 case, sensationalism and opinion.

Oh ok. 1 case is ok. I guess we should give them a stern warning as long as its only (1) case. I am going to rob (1) bank.
Are you insane?

Pengwuino said:
0 cases, sensationalism and banter.

Tell that to the people in New Orleans, or one of the parents of the 2,000+ soldiers that are *dead* because Iraq has WMD's... I mean because we are spreading democracy.

I find it rediculous that no matter the topic we can always count on Pengwuino to leap in and defend GW and his cronies tooth and nail.
That kind of blind allegiance is just what this administration needs.
I think you are a fool Pengwuino.

1. What do you mean by "soft" in regards to American media?

When we say that American media has gone soft, we mean that it has become less critical and more lenient in its coverage and portrayal of events, people, and issues. This can include sensationalism, biased reporting, and a focus on entertainment rather than informative content.

2. What evidence is there to support the claim that American media has gone soft?

There are several pieces of evidence that suggest American media has become softer in its coverage. These include the rise of clickbait headlines, the emphasis on celebrity gossip and reality TV, and the decline of investigative journalism. Additionally, studies have shown that media outlets often prioritize profits over quality reporting, leading to a decrease in critical and objective coverage.

3. Has American media always been "soft" or is this a recent phenomenon?

The term "soft" is subjective and can be interpreted differently by different individuals. However, many experts argue that American media has become increasingly soft in recent years due to the rise of social media, which has led to a focus on viral and shareable content rather than in-depth reporting. Additionally, the consolidation of media ownership has led to a decrease in diversity of perspectives and a homogenization of news coverage.

4. How does the softness of American media affect society?

The softness of American media can have a significant impact on society. It can perpetuate stereotypes, spread misinformation, and distract from important issues. It can also contribute to a polarized and divided society by only presenting one side of a story. Additionally, soft media coverage can undermine the credibility and trust in journalism, leading to a decrease in the quality of information available to the public.

5. What can be done to address the softness of American media?

There are several steps that can be taken to address the softness of American media. These include promoting media literacy and critical thinking skills, supporting independent and investigative journalism, and diversifying media ownership. It is also important for media outlets to prioritize ethical and responsible reporting practices and for consumers to actively seek out diverse and reputable sources of information.