Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anybody seen stuff like this before?

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-physicist-was-on-to-something-40-years-ago/tabid/817/articleID/233202/Default.aspx [Broken] ... is the headline.

The story is that a NZer had done an experiment 40 years ago that anticipated the FTL-neutrino thing ... there is a hint that the research stalled due to lack of funding because of a prejudiced scientific community.

I figure Doug Phillips (presented as a physicist, but with nothing to back it up) probably failed peer-review for a reason. This was not examined and nor was his original paper shown to anyone else for balance.

I kinda remember something like this from a while back. It looks like hes set up a Michealson-Morely interferometer where one beam passes through a rotating thingy with mirrors on it. It seems he should definitely see fringe shifts because he has time-varying path-differences but I cannot make out the details. [Just to be clear: the fringe shifts would occur without FTL.]

Has anybody else encountered something like this before?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted