Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone competed in scientific competitions?

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    In which? Have you taken any prizes?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2005 #2
    In my childhood when I was in class 8th, our teacher told us that we have to participate in the science competetion held by some government agencies. So he selected me and two other class fellows. The teacher told us that we have to make a solar room cooling system. I watched his idea and soon realized that he does not have enough potential to do this.
    What happened at the competetion was that he sprayed the dummy room with some kind of spirit to cool the environment just before showing to the judges and even they did not realized what was done to the apparatus.
    At the end of show we were awarded certificates for this project.
  4. Jun 8, 2005 #3
    I've never won anything in a scientific contest, but I have received a couple of prizes in design engineering contests somewhere in the deep dark past. I once received First in a microprocessor design contest (Motorola/EDN), in which my entry was for the implementation of a "Digital Differential Analyzer" (the digital counterpart of an analog computer - - these can handle some problems that are unmanageable analytically).

The other was for First in a Gate Array (mask programmable type) design contest for Gould/AMI/Computer Design.

5. Jun 9, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won some things in high school: there was the time I won a test tube that my chemistry teacher gave a silver coating in front of the class, that was for knowing the abbreviations for all the elements in the periodic table.

Then there was a time that I heated water in a paper cup to the highest temperature in class, I don't remember what I received for that.. I believe a chocolate bar.

There was a competition that all the students scoring an average of 9 or higher for their chemistry graduation would win something, me and another guy received an erlenmeyer filled with licorice for that.. our chemistry teacher was a great teacher :smile: it was fun having small competitions like that.

The last prize I won was in a poster competition, which got me all the way to Sardinia Italy :biggrin:
  6. Jun 9, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've had my share of competitions,we called them "olympiads".In HS,i've taken part in mathematics,chemistry and physics.Nothing too extraordinary,when it comes to results. But it was fun.Preparation for the competitions meant skipping classes on other (very boring) subjects,especially English and Romanian literature.:devil:

7. Jun 9, 2005 #6
    I was the national champ in physics back in 8th grade. That's about it.
  8. Jun 10, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I competed in the International Science and Engineering Fair twice, in 1994 and 1995. I won a 2nd grand award in engineering one year, and a 3rd grand award the next. My total winnings paid for my first car! :biggrin:

After high school, though, there aren't so many contests.... if you do well in university, you just get to continue to the next class!

- Warren
  9. Jun 10, 2005 #8
    i won a nobel prize in physics a few years back and bought myself a time machine made of a delorean..

actually i got first place in the science fair once rofl
  10. Jun 10, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I took second place at a regional "Invention Convention" in 4th grade by inventing a paint roller that pumps the paint directly into the roller, so that you don't have to continually dip it and roll it along the grating. Imagine my surprise when, several years ago, I saw a commercial for a similar product new to the market. It doesn't seem to have caught on much, but maybe I should have patented that one.
  11. Jun 10, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities for a science education device.

Edit: Disney was one of my competitors. :approve:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?