Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone considered an anti space ?

1. May 3, 2003 #1

wolram

Gold Member

has anyone considered an "anti space"?

i think there is an equal and opposit to most things in physics, has anyone considered an "anti space"?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its a basic property of math that most equations work exactly the same with positive and negative numbers. There is much debate however on the reversibility of physics equations in real life. Things like negative energy and anti-gravity don't seem to have a physical manifestation yet (that we have found).

In any case though, there are lots of negatives that do have physical manifestations. Anti-matter, for example.

Anti-space is a toughie because by definition anything outside our universe is by definition unobservable. But people are still thinking about them. Maybe "anti-space" is what is inside a black hole or wormhole?

4. May 3, 2003 #3

drag

Science Advisor

Like a total Universal opposite symmetry !
    Anti-Big Bang in a mirror, cool !

5. May 3, 2003 #4

wolram

Gold Member

its a mind game, if you think about the possibility of there ever was nothing, we could not be here, unless you have two opposits that cancel each other, but can be seperated to make a +,-. what other way is there for our univers or us to exist

6. May 3, 2003 #5

drag

Science Advisor

No offense, but that was REALLY funny !
    I mean, you claim existence out of nothing -
    which is a totally mystereous and paradoxical
    concept that doesn't seem to have any possible
    reasonable explanation. And yet, you limmit that
    paradoxical existence with laws of reason.

Yeah, yeah... I know - if such things make me
    laugh I should probably get out more...

Peace and long life.

7. May 4, 2003 #6

wolram

Gold Member

it wasnt suposed to be scientific drag, but for the bb to happen there must have always been somthing, my sugestion, that maybe we live in a bubble in "null space", that is say a combination of + space and -space that is neutral.its only when an anomaly occures that seperates the two that the space we know exsists, absolute nothing is an imposibility, the above is just one way to seemingly have nothing, but obviously there would have to be energy:smile:

8. May 9, 2003 #7
    An opposite to space?

In a sense Momentum is an opposite to Space, or rather to position. In Quantum Mechanics it is the Fourier Transform quantity related to positiion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?