Has anyone here ever been abducted by aliens?

1. If so, please share your experience.

2. jcsd
  3. megashawn

megashawn 496
    Science Advisor

I don't know if I was abducted, but I do remember on glaring instance where I lost about 6 hours.

I just purchased a new car stereo to install in my 280z. I had installed so many before that time, I could do a decent install job in under an hour. My friend and I went to the local riding/hang out spot, and started working on the install.

We got there just before dark, which, at that time of year was around 8:30 pm.

When we finished up and went back to town, it was 2:30am. It did not seem like that much time had passed, and as I said, I was in a habit of installing stereo systems in around an hour.

I don't really think I was abducted, but we toyed with the idea as an explanation. Really, I still can't give a good reason for it.

edit: in the words of Cartman "Damnit I do not have an anal probe"
  4. I had a friend who used to sleep (or maybe hes was being abducted by aliens never could tell lol) with his eyes open with a very strange expression on his face, the expression was stranger after more marijunana he smoked. But seriously I heard that alot of americans (I might well be wrong!) have some sort of abduction/angel experience far more than any other area why would this be! could it be because something in the enviroment is predisposing them to something like epilepsy ?
  5. Yes, in a manner of speaking. I was abducted from my room and showered by a group of dorm mates dressed as aliens.
  6. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,094
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once got drunk with some illegal aliens. Then I think I lost my car for about six hours.
    Irol likes this.
  7. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No. No one has ever been abducted by aliens.
  8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,094
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Has anyone here ever been abducted by aliens?

No one here knows and admits that they were abducted by aliens.

Besides, if I were abducted by aliens, this is about the last place that I would post such a thing. What does that tell you? :wink:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  9. I haven't even seen one before.
  10. Some scientists have suggested that many alien abduction experiences are caused by a phenomenon called sleep paralysis. I experienced this properly for the first time about a week or so ago, while feverish from tonsilitis and I can see how some people might come to that conclusion.

I would describe the experience as being halfway between waking and sleep and accompanied by a total inability to move and a sense of anxiety and paranoia (understandably) - many people hallucinate figures around them with hostile intent. In my case, it seemed that someone threw the duvet over my face in an attempt to smother me. It was like dreaming I was awake when actually I was still sleeping. I managed to wake myself up after a minute or two and could confirm that no aliens had tried to smother me. I had had some other visual hallucinations earlier that night.
  11. The same thing occurred to me many times. I don’t know how to call it, subconsciousness? When I got into that stage, I felt like I’m paralyzed and in the first few that I’ve experienced, I saw (not exactly but I though I saw) shadowy figure approaching. But it occurred to me many times that later I realized that those images are created by fear in my mind. What causes the fear, I don’t know. What I do know is that when I was in subconscious state, I felt very sacred, I heard noisy sounds (gets noisier as I loose my body control) and I realized and said to myself “this had happened before!!!” but couldn’t move or do anything.

But I think this experience is very different from the actual adoption of aliens. I don’t know cause I’ve never been adopted but those who claimed to be so may tell the difference.
  12. if aliens are clever enough to get here, then they would realise if they showed themselfs then a billion hippies would volunteer themselfs for examination!

ive never been abducted! i tihnk its a thing people say to gte attention, mostly yokels, who go "ahut" and have very very (i mean, VERY) little money to there name (but maybe a 21" TV, and a carvan)

13. When we fall asleep the brain
    shuts off all conscious control
    of our muscles. If it didn't
    everyone would sleepwalk, acting
    out their dreams. We are basically
    paralyzed except for breathing
    and heart functions.

Sometimes people start to wake
    up but their muscles don't kick
    back in. They become stuck between
    waking and dreaming, totally par-
    alyzed. The really strange thing
    is that you can open your eyes
    and see around the room. You
    know you're in bed, in your
    room, but you're paralyzed. I
    guess there is some residual
    dream process going on because
    alot of people create entities
    to "explain" the inability to
    move. This can just as well be
    aliens as anything else.

I woke up once to "realize" I was
    laying on my back on top of a
    malicious man who had his arms
    wrapped around my chest and was
    holding me down to the bed,
    sniggering in my ear. After what
    seemed like two or three minutes
    of this, he just evaporated.

My nerves were jangled and disturbed about it for a couple
  14. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,094
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Explanations like these may account for some or many claimed abduction experiences, however a very large number of abduction reports cannot be explained like this. Why do you think you can tell the difference between sleep paralysis but that others can't? I know when it has happened. I rather tend to think that alleged abductees are all liars, ill, or con artists before I buy into explanations like this.
  15. Keep a cool, level head and I will

One good reason I wasn't inclined
    to credit my experience with any
    reality outside my own mind is
    that there hasn't been any story
    floating around the past 30 years
    about "The Sniggering Man" or
    whatever he'd end up being called.

In addition this only happened once. Other bouts with sleep
    paralysis I've had were limited
    to not being able to move. I can
    imagine if someone had the same
    hallucination of being surrounded
    by vague aliens during several
    instances of sleep paralysis they
    would be more likely to credit the entities with an objective existence.

The third thing is it's too un-Occam's Razor.I just plain don't want it too be true because
    it unnecessarily multiplies what
    we have to deal with. Sleep para-
    lysis accounts for it perfectly
    well. Other people, in love with
    the idea there is life elsewhere,
    have no problem multiplying the
    possible explanations.

It's not so much that they're lying, as becoming victimized
    by their preference for an im-
    pressionistic view of reality.

Some percentage of these sleep
    paralysis abductees are caught in
    a different sort of psychological
    bind. The hallucination, as I can
    bear witness, is so utterly real-
    istic while it is happening that
    some people would rather claim it
    was real than face the alternative
    of not being able to trust their
    own sences. This is a bigger pro-
    blem than you would expect.
  16. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,094
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess this is hard for me to relate to since, as far as I know, reality has never betrayed me in such a way. I don't think I have ever actually hallucinated...except perhaps when I was on morphine in the hospital...at least I was told that I hallucinated but I don't remember a thing!

I do know one gent who, while he was very ill and with a high fever, saw demons dancing around his bed. Of course I have heard stories from the '60s as well. :wink:
  17. People assume that there must
    always be something "fishy" or
    "off" about hallucinations that
    will alert the experiencer to
    their true nature. More often than
    you would realize they satisfy
    the criteria for reality with any
    sence you use to test them.
    The lucky hallucinator will
    hallucinate something too out-
    ragous to be real, and will be
    able to put it into perspective.
    I knew a guy, sleep deprived for
    four days, who saw a huge white
    rabbit sitting in a vacant lot.
    He pulled the car over and told
    his friend to drive.
    People who hallucinate while
    they are also delusional usually
    can't tell the difference. They
    are viewing things from the same
    place we all go in our dreams
    where impossible situations and
    transformations can be accepted
    without a second thought.

18. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,094
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My work comes with occasional periods of incredible physical endurance - in the form of no sleep. Once after working a better part of 5 days straight - work 36 hrs, sleep 8, work 24, sleep 5, work 30 etc until you drop...which had better not happen before the system is running! Other people in the field have done the same or worse. On one occasion I was so tired that I couldn't remember which light is red, and which light is green. I could see the lights; but I could no longer make sense of the colors. This was the worst that I've ever had happen. However, I just remembered a guy who, after working nearly 100hrs straight, had a large piece of equipment break away and fall 40 or 50 feet; landing right next to him and missing by only a few feet. He told me that he just looked at the equipment and thought it was funny that it had landed so close to him. He knew he should be more upset but he just continued working. Later he noticed that nothing had ever fallen! Now that's a hallucination. Clearly some people can have waking dreams or something similar to this notion.
  19. In the movie "A Beautiful Mind", the mathematics professor..... Oh! I’m forgetting the name again! Anyway, the guy hallucinates all the time. Is it a true story that had had hallucinations in his entire life?
  20. Yes, he was schizophrenic, I don't remember his name either, but the actor was Russel Crowe.
    Anyway, I wanted to add that sleep paralysis is also known to cause hallucinations of bizarre/evil/disturbing sexual events, but thankfully I don't remember any of the details.
    Back to the original topic, my uncle MAY have been abducted. I don't have many details on that, he wouldn't tell me/didn't remember. All I know is that he woke up in the middle of the night, went to the bathroom, for reasons beyond me, used the bathroom without turning on the light, then saw a bright light through the window, and then remmebers waking up with his arm underneath him in and unusual and uncomfortable position. That's all I know the only thing that lends any credit to the story is that he and my mom have a history of paranormal experiences.
  21. Complex partial seizure with onset
    in the occipetal lobe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?