Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has Bill Clinton gone mad?

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bill Clinton’s remarks this week in Iowa are at odds with reality. It is such an easy thing to check, one has to ask “Why are you telling this obvious lie?”

The lie:
    The truth:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/06/19/clinton.iraq/index.html
    The Time Magazine Article
    He even contradicts himself in the same interview! (We went in there because He bought the Wolfowitz-Cheney analysis…” vs. “You couldn't responsibly ignore [the possibility that] a tyrant had these stocks.”)
    Well, this coming from Bill Clinton’s mouth, perhaps ‘truth’ is too strong a word…

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2
    By the Iraq thing I take it to mean all the pressure to get the inspectors back in (including UN and Congressional resolutions) and does not refer to Bush pulling the inspectors so he could attack without any proof of WMD's.

Just my take, what do you think?

Some fine lines being drawn here, might have to put on those reading glasses.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you serious? Do you think he is referring to inspectors?
    Even if he is, he contradicted that statement as well!

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
    I added some brackets (like this) to clarify how I've read what Bill said.

Bill Quote:
    "So I (Bill) thought the president (GWB) had an absolute responsibility to go to the U.N. and say, 'Look, guys, after 9/11, you have got to demand that Saddam Hussein lets us finish the inspection process.'

Bill Quote:
    I think he should have waited until the U.N. inspections were over

Bill Quote:
    That's why I supported the Iraq thing. There was a lot of stuff unaccounted for. So I thought the President had an absolute responsibility to go to the U.N. and say,

Bill Quote:
    So that's why I thought Bush did the right thing to go back (to inspections). When you're the President, and your country has just been through what we had, you want everything (WMD's) to be accounted for.

They didn't call him slick Willy for nothing.:cool:

6. Nov 29, 2007 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Bill Clinton hasn't gone mad, he's just a politician. I honestly believe that successful politicians play both sides so much that they honestly don't know what their own opinions are. And Clinton was a highly successful politician.

7. Nov 29, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would agree that Clinton is a master of duplicity.

8. Nov 29, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends on what you mean by "is".

9. Nov 29, 2007 #8
    Yep, he's a master... something. I think he'd have done equally well as car salesman.

10. Nov 29, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Clinton will be remembered as one of our most intelligent presidents, though certainly not the smartest. There IS a difference.

11. Nov 29, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He will certainly be remembered for his intellect and popularity, globally. It is really too bad that he couldn't keep his zipper up... or really that he didn't just fess-up and deal with it. He could have been great.

Alan Greenspan said recently that Clinton was one of the only people [politicians?] that he ever met who could not only keep up with him, but could even get ahead of him at times.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?