Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has biology ever predicted an organisms action exactly correctly?

1. Oct 7, 2003 #1
    Has biology ever predicted an organisms action exactly correctly?

meaning, has biology ever reduced an organism down to an equation, and had it work multiple times in experiments, and then singled out variables and applied them to other experiments?

if biology hasnt, how close has it gotten? on which organisms?

The root of my question here is: are single cells, or other small organisms determined?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a complex question. I can give you an example.

C. elegans is a small nematode worm. Every single detail of its cell lineage is know (about 1000 cells) researchers know exactly how the development of the organism will go from the moment of fertilization. This example has already multiple times the last week, so I am sorry if you've already read it :) Interesting is also that researchers know exactly which cells will die during the development.

I seem to recall computer programs predicting bacterial behaviour, but I not sure anymore what the trait was. And for the more complex traits the computers don't have enough capacity to calculate such things, doesn't mean it is not possible.

Interesting question though!
  4. Oct 7, 2003 #3
    thanks for the very important info.. Can you please give me citations so i can do further research? It would be VERY much appreciated.

Anyone else have relevating information?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?