Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has 'democracy of reality' been disproved

1. Mar 20, 2003 #1
    As the title suggests, from the outset this seems like a contender for the philosophy forum. I have posted it here because it does involve a real physics/psychology experiment and it's results (which I am not so sure of).

Basically, a lone observer unfamiliar with the two slits experiment is exposed to psychological peer pressure that leads him to believe he knows the outcome of a single photon passed through the experiment (which traditionally he can not determine). The electronic detection of the outcome which is later reviewed by the whole group is compared to the subjective peer controlled 'observation'.

It surely turns out that the electronic observation can not be manipulated by the intial human observers notional beliefs. And this disproves that reality is just a democracy of opinions with no absolutes?

But something tells me the whole experiment hasn't really proved anything...
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted