berkeman

Mentor
I was thinking another person might post about this:
They have :smile:

hilbert2

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is this the breakthrough of the century?
If it turns out that QC is practical for many purposes and allows the calculation of things that were impossible without it (like a determination of the equilibrium constant for the binding of an inhibitor molecule to an enzyme without doing an actual lab experiment), it may be the breakthrough of the century. However, with the current knowledge it's not even clear whether it's more important than the Higgs boson and gravitational wave findings that have also been done during the first 20 years of this century.

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I read that IBM seriously disputes their claim that they're quantum computer can do in a couple of minutes something that today's supercomputers would take 10,000 years to do. IBM says it would take about 2 1/2 days. Still impressive, but not what Google's claiming.

Thanks for posting the info and links. I heard about it a couple of days ago, but for some reason I didn't check it out further, I don't know why.

Maybe the achievement is in a superposition of being a small step and a giant leap. :smile: