Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has light wavelength compression been proven?

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    has there been an experiment verifying the compressing of light's wavelength by gravity? i thought i heard of one verifying light's wavelength lengthening (redshift) by the earth back in the 60's or something, i was wondering if we'd proved the compression(blueshift)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The X-rays emitted by matter falling into black holes were a prediction of gravitational redshift via GR. They have been observationally verified.

For earth, I don't know - not a lot of gravity here (relatively speaking).

4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    Is there any other way to speak about gravity? :wink:

5. Apr 12, 2004 #4

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good question! One of the early 'gravitational redshift' experiments was (IIRC) a 57Fe gamma Mossbauer effect, over a vertical distance of several (tens of?) metres. I don't know if the experimenters went on to put the source on a higher storey of the lab building, and the detector at a lower one ... :smile:

6. Apr 13, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, Nereid, the Pound & Rebka experiment you cite (the one performed at the Harvard tower) involved beams going in both directions.

- Warren

7. Apr 13, 2004 #6
    excellent, so obviously compression has been pretty well proved, thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?