Has PF gone lame?

• Thread starter Noja888
  • Start date
jtbell
Mentor
Hint - If you don't "get" Doc Al's joke, do a search for the word "fish" in the General Discussion forum. :wink:

(I've seen you around a lot, but don't remember seeing you in GD much if at all.)

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I had not noticed that the counter has a different function than just counting the number of posts on this site. Do members get a reward at a certain number of physics-related posts? :cool:
Nope, post counts are nothing more than a count of posts in the technical forums.

In terms of rewards/types of account we have:

- Gold memberships that can be https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken] or earned through Project PF Proliferation.

- Science Advisor medals awarded through nomination and consensus by current SAs and mentors for demonstrably high scientific knowledge used to significantly contribute to the site

- Homework Helper medals are similar to SAs but for homework

- Mentors are selected by other mentors for contribution to the site in terms of not only scientific knowledge but community spirit

- Admins are selected by Greg to http://www.2dsecurity.com/files/1680673/uploaded/Wire_Tangle.jpg [Broken] 25/8 to keep the site functional

- Annual awards are awarded via member nomination and voting each winter for a variety of topics

Last edited by a moderator:
I first would like to say I am a huge fan of this site. I have been on here for 3+ years and enjoy the content that I cannot get much anywhere else. But over time the rules and closed threads have become less open to new ideas and non-crackpot concepts. I can smell a crackpot a mile away. (i work with alot of salesmen in the machine tool industry) I look to this site when I need clarity on a concept or my thinking is on the right path. I have a good sense of the people with real knowledge on this forum and always look up to them with great respect. Has the direction of this site changed for the better in your opinion? Or what would you like to see more here? Moderators please weigh in and I ask all to be respectful in their opinions. Thanks.
Yes, most of the time I have also been a huge fan of this site, and the discussions have both helped me and allowed me to help others a lot. However, I did not notice much change over the almost 2 yrs; and I certainly see no reason for your suggestion that PF has gone lame. And neither did I see evidence that the direction of this site changed for the better.

Very recently the suggestion was given and accepted to add more precise motivations/explanations for locking to already locked threads, but it is unclear if that suggestion is put into practice.
- https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4062887

BTW there are for me more important issues with this site (mentioned in that same thread), but those are far away from your topic.

Hint - If you don't "get" Doc Al's joke, do a search for the word "fish" in the General Discussion forum. :wink:
(I've seen you around a lot, but don't remember seeing you in GD much if at all.)
:uhh: :confused: I found a lot of jokes on Newbees, but still don't have clue - now I feel like a newbee. :tongue2:
And yeah I rarely come here or there because those are hidden beneath the bottom of my screen and I can't keep up with the science discussions anyway!
Nope, post counts are nothing more than a count of posts in the technical forums.

In terms of rewards/types of account we have:

- Gold memberships that can be https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken] or earned through Project PF Proliferation.

- Science Advisor medals awarded through nomination and consensus by current SAs and mentors for demonstrably high scientific knowledge used to significantly contribute to the site

- Homework Helper medals are similar to SAs but for homework

- Mentors are selected by other mentors for contribution to the site in terms of not only scientific knowledge but community spirit

- Admins are selected by Greg to http://www.2dsecurity.com/files/1680673/uploaded/Wire_Tangle.jpg [Broken] 25/8 to keep the site functional

- Annual awards are awarded via member nomination and voting each winter for a variety of topics
Thanks for that great summary! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
[..] BTW there are for me more important issues with this site (mentioned in that same thread), but those are far away from your topic.
PS: the main issue I had concerned ethics and I was at the point of abandoning PF because of it. However, just now PF is measurably improving on that for me essential point. Thanks folks! :!!) :smile:

Borek
Mentor
PS: the main issue I had concerned ethics and I was at the point of abandoning PF because of it. However, just now PF is measurably improving on that for me essential point. Thanks folks! :!!) :smile:
Interesting. As far as I can tell nothing has changed on our side, we use exactly the same set of rules we used before.

Interesting. As far as I can tell nothing has changed on our side, we use exactly the same set of rules we used before.
Rules are merely an incentive for conduct. The use of the same rules doesn't guarantee the same application, which is subject to the discretion of the Mentors. In general, rules can be differently interpreted, bent, not applied, unfairly applied, or inconsistently applied*. For a negative example, see Russia; and for a so-so example, see Wikipedia. Anyway, that is again another topic. In my experience (which is of course just a sample) PF certainly has not "gone lame". :tongue2:

*addendum: moreover rules do not (and cannot!) regulate all possible conduct - for example the guidelines do not require fair (honest) presentation of facts.

Last edited:
anyone know a physics forum with quality people where one can discuss more "off the wall" ideas? pm me svp

cheers
wolfie
xx
A search engine. You can write anything in the search box.

Oh... No "hello". No "welcome to the forum", no manners, no etiquette, no pleasantness.
I doubt doing this will get you any of the above. You can view things positively or negatively. From your record of number of posts, all you have done here in the forum is complain? I am not an experienced member here, I only joined months ago. However I find lots of threads NOT locked and the ones locked are crackpot (crackpot as in, since you are wondering, are contents that have no support beyond scientific standards). I feel welcomed to the forums and the moderators are friendly enough. Check yourself, lots of replies from the old hands to the new ones start with "Welcome to PF". I don't know what you are complaining about.

berkeman
Mentor
I think that's a good post to end this thread with. :smile: