Has this happened to your camera?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation participants discussed issues with a digital camera, specifically problems with previewing pictures and potential overheating. They also discussed the importance of treating expensive equipment with care and the potential causes of the camera malfunctions. One participant also shared their experience with a low-quality pocket camera.
~christina~
Gold Member
Well, it was not fun yesterday.

I went to the zoo and when I arrived there my camera was working fine.
Then after I went to eat, I tried using it again, but could not preview the pictures I took.

I would press the preview button and the picture would show for 1 second and then flash before me, and promptly either disapear into a black screen or go dim (green and 1/5 of the original brightness- to the point of not being able to see the picture)

Started having a panic attack, sort of anyhow.

It's fine now, (I'm really relieved I didn't have to send it out for maintanance at a nikon dealer, because that would have took time) I think that this was caused by me placing it onto the railing on the outside of the seal pool that had become hot, because of the sun beating on it.

Could it have gotten overheated and become loopy for awhile and has this happened to anyone else with a digital slr camera or any other camera?

Physics news on Phys.org
~christina~ said:
Well, it was not fun yesterday.

I went to the zoo and when I arrived there my camera was working fine.
Then after I went to eat, I tried using it again, but could not preview the pictures I took.

I would press the preview button and the picture would show for 1 second and then flash before me, and promptly either disapear into a black screen or go dim (green and 1/5 of the original brightness- to the point of not being able to see the picture)

Started having a panic attack, sort of anyhow.

It's fine now, (I'm really relieved I didn't have to send it out for maintanance at a nikon dealer, because that would have took time) I think that this was caused by me placing it onto the railing on the outside of the seal pool that had become hot, because of the sun beating on it.

Could it have gotten overheated and become loopy for awhile and has this happened to anyone else with a digital slr camera or any other camera?
It could have been the heat. You don't want to overheat anything that's computerized.

Evo said:
It could have been the heat. You don't want to overheat anything that's computerized.

:frown:

but if something gets overheated, would it always get back to normal, or would it be fried for good?

~christina~ said:
:frown:

but if something gets overheated, would it always get back to normal, or would it be fried for good?
Depends on if the components become damaged.

If it gets hot enough it will be fried for good. I don't know how hot that would be. You might check your manual for operating environment requirements.

Christine, Manifacturers would define normal operating temperatures to be limited to perhaps 110 - 120 F. That is tested to be fine. No-one can really tell what will happen beyond that. You were lucky this time it seems. Of course there is a tendency to get a bit careless when familiar with the equipment. But really you should always threat that fine D40X of yours with utmost care as if it was the first time that you laid hands on it.

Andre said:
Christine, Manifacturers would define normal operating temperatures to be limited to perhaps 110 - 120 F. That is tested to be fine. No-one can really tell what will happen beyond that. You were lucky this time it seems. Of course there is a tendency to get a bit careless when familiar with the equipment. But really you should always threat that fine D40X of yours with utmost care as if it was the first time that you laid hands on it.

All my electronics take a beating. :eek:

Andre said:

:uhh: well if I threaten it with "care"...it should behave :wink:
but seriously, I always treat the camera with care, as it's an expensive piece of equipment.

Hm..well it is just fine today, and I shot a baby squirrel :smile:

~christina~ said:
Hm..well it is just fine today, and I shot a baby squirrel :smile:

hmm … obviously ok with squirrels.

Perhaps the clue is:
~christina~ said:
I think that this was caused by me placing it onto the railing on the outside of the seal pool that had become hot, because of the sun beating on it.

I think Feynman would say that the problem was … you didn't have a perfect seal. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … obviously ok with squirrels.

Perhaps the clue is:

I think Feynman would say that the problem was … you didn't have a perfect seal. :smile:

Of course..I know where the problem was..(not stupid):rolleyes:

Sometimes when I can't view anything on my screen, its because I've accidentally hit the 'display' button on the camera. If I push that button, I can see again! It's JUST AMAZING how that works! :ROFL:

oh yeah! DON'T SHOOT BABY SQUIRRELS!
...unless you plan to eat em... :biggrin:

I would think it might be due to low battery...

JasonRox said:
All my electronics take a beating. :eek:

Thats probably becuase unlike your camera, hers is very, very, very expensive.

My pocket camera is a piece of junk. :frown:

Last edited:
LOL, I wouldn't let some dumbass touch my camera (an Olympus E-500) and it only cost $800 with the two lens kit.

Cyrus said:

My pocket camera is a piece of junk. :frown:

Nah, my cellphone isn't anywhere near junk. The new Sony Ericson phone with the nice camera and all.

Most people are surprised it's still working.

Or my iPod! I don't put a case on it. Putting a case on it is dumb. If it can't take a fall to the ground, it's garbage. Anyways, I was walking and then being careless with my iPod, it ended up smashing into the ground. I just picked it and continued walking like nothing happen. A lady stopped me and was like... "How can you not freak out!? Is it broken? OMG, you don't even have a case on it!" ... just an iPod come on.

Last edited:
binzing said:
I would think it might be due to low battery...

no, it had 3 bars...which is the total it can have.

Cyrus said:
yes it is...
binzing said:
LOL, I wouldn't let some dumbass touch my camera (an Olympus E-500) and it only cost $800 with the two lens kit.
My Nikon was 800 something with 2 lens' as well. But adding my 70-300mm which is more than half that amount is painful to the pocket.

Last edited:
Yeah I want to get a telephoto. Olympus 4/3 mounting effectively doubles my zoom, so a 50-150 for example is the same as a 100-300 on a 35mm. They're sooo expensive though

~christina~ said:
no, it had 3 bars...which is the total it can have.

yes it is...

My Nikon was 800 something with 2 lens' as well. But adding my 70-300mm which is more than half that amount is painful to the pocket.

In life, you get what you pay for. You have one damn nice camera!

Id love to have a camera like that just becuase the images are so sharp. But its WAY to big to be used as an everyday pocket camera. HOWEVER, a few friends of mine have these new pocket cameras that take AMAZING pictures! I couldn't believe it.

JasonRox said:
Nah, my cellphone isn't anywhere near junk. The new Sony Ericson phone with the nice camera and all.

Most people are surprised it's still working.

Or my iPod! I don't put a case on it. Putting a case on it is dumb. If it can't take a fall to the ground, it's garbage. Anyways, I was walking and then being careless with my iPod, it ended up smashing into the ground. I just picked it and continued walking like nothing happen. A lady stopped me and was like... "How can you not freak out!? Is it broken? OMG, you don't even have a case on it!" ... just an iPod come on.

I got my ipod for free, and I don't use a case either. I like it exactly for the fact that its small. The case makes it so bulky its pointless in buying a thin device! BUT, it does cost something like $250 bucks, so I am not going to let it smash against anything. (I have a black 30G Ipod video). You should take better care of things you own.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
In life, you get what you pay for. You have one damn nice camera!

Id love to have a camera like that just becuase the images are so sharp. But its WAY to big to be used as an everyday pocket camera. HOWEVER, a few friends of mine have these new pocket cameras that take AMAZING pictures! I couldn't believe it.

I guess so, but I have to say that my camera is considered one of the "cheapest" of the high end cameras (slr's).

I have a normal everyday camera that I use because my other one really can't fit in my pocket/pocketbook etc, and it's a pentax.

I would also like to mention that where I live, people are thieves...or potential thieves. EVERY time I take my camera to the zoo people look at me and then look around to see if anyone is with me.:uhh:...is it because I look like I belong in high school??

Last edited:
Here's the trick christina. Keep your stuff in a ratty bag, then its less likely to get stolen while in the case. And seriously, when your using, no one is going to come up and steal it from you. LOL

binzing said:
Here's the trick christina. Keep your stuff in a ratty bag, then its less likely to get stolen while in the case. And seriously, when your using, no one is going to come up and steal it from you. LOL

Ya, funny...nooot. They see it when I use the camera in the first place and I seriously got more looks when I have my 70-300mm lens on my camera...

Maybe you should stop taking random pictures of peoples kids at the zoo then, creep.

Cyrus said:
Maybe you should stop taking random pictures of peoples kids at the zoo then, creep.

o:) maybe I will stop shooting people's kids...

but seriously who takes pictures of people's kids when you go to a "zoo."

What I was saying is that no one (except a really damn persevering thief) is going to follow you to see when you put your camera away and put your bag down, so a ratty ass case is a good defense.

binzing said:
What I was saying is that no one (except a really damn persevering thief) is going to follow you to see when you put your camera away and put your bag down, so a ratty ass case is a good defense.

I think I threw away all my "ratty" bags though...:rofl:

I do put my camera away when I leave the zoo of course.

Thrift stores...garage sales...

1. Has my camera stopped working suddenly?

No, sudden camera failure is not a common occurrence. Most likely, there is a specific reason for your camera not working, such as a dead battery or a damaged component.

2. Is it normal for my camera to take blurry pictures?

No, blurry pictures are not normal and could indicate a problem with your camera's lens or settings. Make sure your lens is clean and try adjusting the focus or shutter speed settings.

3. Why is my camera not turning on?

There could be several reasons for this, such as a drained battery, a faulty power button, or a damaged internal component. Try charging the battery or replacing it, and if that doesn't work, consult a professional for further assistance.

4. Can my camera get damaged by water?

Yes, most cameras are not waterproof and can be damaged by water. If your camera gets wet, immediately remove the battery and memory card and dry it thoroughly. It's also recommended to bring it to a professional for further inspection.

5. Why are my photos appearing too dark or too bright?

This could be due to incorrect exposure settings or a problem with the camera's light meter. Try adjusting the exposure compensation or using manual mode to adjust the settings yourself. If the problem persists, there may be an issue with the camera's hardware and it should be checked by a professional.