Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hate Obama? Why?

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So as not to derail other threads, it seemed best to start this one.

For those who do not like Obama, could you state specifically why? I am amazed by, for example, the angry women who think they won't vote for Obama under any conditions. Why? Why the vile and venom? What could he have possibly done to incite such anger?

Same is true for Republicans generally. I understand having reservations about his age and experience, but for these reasons, how can anyone possibly have so much contempt for the man as we hear from individuals and the media?

I am most impressed by people who don't even pay attention to politics, but still hate Obama. I have an uncle who knows about as much politics as I know about basket weaving, but he hates Obama. [course he lives in OC - need more be said?]

I am starting to think that the most vocal opponents are simply racists.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2
    Let me get the ball rolling with some honest criticisms:

He doesn't have enough experience in Washington and he's just blindly running into a minefield.

His message of "change" doesn't carry much substance, since he has rarely given any details.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Here's some comedy of the West Virgina variety to compensate:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c-q4MDQ0cDI

There was also one by John Stewart, but F'ing Viacom decided to be a whiny little B**** and take the video down.

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    I generally dislike all politicians. Obama exploits and manipulates just like any other politician. I'm not against voting for him, but I doubt he's the savior for this country.

5. Jun 19, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Some fraction of them are, for sure. I hang out with a bunch of bikers, and one of them (transplant from Brockton MA area) was at my house one day and started spouting off about what a shame it was that so many black people were moving into town. I turned the conversation to something else, and later I printed up an 8x10 photo of my father, wife, sister, nephew and his lovely daughter having a cookout at my house. My nephew is a Navy lifer, and he married a beautiful black woman with a daughter from a previous marriage. I hung that picture on the refrigerator, and the next time he dropped in and went to get a beer, he did a double-take. I said "That's my grand-niece and I love her." He has since (several years now) been on his best behavior, but I'll bet he won't vote for Obama under any circumstances.

6. Jun 19, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would also be interested in knowing how many Obama haters watch Fox News, listen to talk radio, or are members of an evangelical church.

7. Jun 19, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I'm an independent who shares some values normally attributed to liberals, and some normally attributed to conservatives. I have to hold my nose to vote for any politician, and I choose based on who I think might do the least amount of damage in areas important to me.

8. Jun 19, 2008 #7
    I watch FOX news, listen to talk radio, but don't goto church and I'm very much undecided.

9. Jun 19, 2008 #8
    Thanks for the laugh Ivan.

I can't imagine what people find not to like in Obama. He is young, vigorous, intelligent, and given what's been thrown at him, gracious. If he should win, I believe he will be a great President. Come to think of it, there's only one person in the country that would be better.

10. Jun 19, 2008 #9
    :rofl: Stop it Ivan.

11. Jun 19, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He wants to be president - that's enough to disqualify anyone.

Greg for president?

12. Jun 19, 2008 #11
    I do not hate Obama; I simply think he is unlikely to be a good President. I would be okay with seeing him on a ticket as Vice President, and believe that he may even have the potential to be a good President, someday, but today is not the day.

His foreign policy is naive and is likely to lead to almost as many problems as the man he would presume to replace. In my opinion, which I think is well-supported by fact, a decision to withdraw from Iraq before the Democratic government there is strong enough to maintain control, would be almost as bad of a decision as becoming involved in there. And what is Obama's plan, when the government inevitably fails, and a civil war breaks out, with the Sunnis being funded by the Arabs and the Shi'ites by the Iranians, when Al Queda can operate freely among the chaos of civil war? To re-invade Iraq!

As a registered Democrat, this will probably be the only time that I will not vote for the party's presidential nominee.

As for McCain, I respect him, though, like with Obama, I disagree with a big chunk of his platform, especially on domestic issues. Also, as a veteran, I am completely mystified by his decision to oppose increased GI bill benefits. I am certainly not happy with the fact that he will probably become President, though, a balance of power might be beneficial, especially since McCain, unlike Bush, is a moderate who is usually very willing to compromise. His opposition to Webb's improved GI bill is probably going to prevent me from voting for him.

I will probably write-in someone this year. I supported Richardson originally, and later Hillary, after Richardson dropped-out. I will probably write-in Hillary, as I have a feeling a lot of upset Democrats will.

The sparkle of light in this election will be that; whether the President be McCain or Obama, we are virtually guaranteed that they will be a much better Commander-in-Chief than the guy in the Oval Office right now, who is currently the worst President of the 21st century in my book, and I doubt anyone is going to be taking that distinction away during my lifetime.

13. Jun 19, 2008 #12
    I watch the Daily Show and rarely listen to the radio. One of my parents is Jewish; the other is Liberal Protestant, and I myself am fairly agnostic, but I certainly do not want to see Obama be the next President.

14. Jun 19, 2008 #13
    Correction, second worst.

15. Jun 19, 2008 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't have any dislike for him. In fact, up until March I genuinely liked him and had a very strong preference for him over Hillary (yeah, for me that's not saying much).

But, to use your word, I now have some serious reservations about him because:
    -He's extremely liberal.
    -He's nurtured and surrounded himself in a racist/anti-american culture.
    -He's too charismatic.

16. Jun 19, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you explain exactly what you mean by this? I recall you showed appreciation of some of his stances on Iran and/or Pakistan that you thought were quite reasonable and much unlike typical far-left rhetoric.

Edit: This may already be taking the thread off-topic. The OP is more about people that hate Obama than those that disagree with his positions.

17. Jun 19, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So then we can assume that you do one of the above?

18. Jun 19, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this about the church that he used to attend?

19. Jun 19, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't mind me asking: Why? Do you consider them to be reliable sources of information?

20. Jun 19, 2008 #19
    I don't, it's entertainment. With some news on the side.

21. Jun 19, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So then you view them as being more inline with The Daily Show, or The Colbert Report?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?