Haunted house

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
Dembadon
Gold Member
I've heard that defects in the tempering process can result in spontaneous breakage much later; esp if there are addtional stresses due to swelling of the frame and the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage
That glass (Borek's) isn't tempered, though. It's annealed. Tempered glass doesn't "run-out" like that, it shatters into a million little pieces.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That glass (Borek's) isn't tempered, though. It's annealed. Tempered glass doesn't run like that, it shatters into a million little pieces.
It sounded to me like that glass had a pretty bad temper.

Dembadon
Gold Member
It sounded to me like that glass had a pretty bad temper.
:rofl: You're dang clever, lisa. I worked at my dad's glass shop for 8 years and could've used that so many times.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That glass (Borek's) isn't tempered, though. It's annealed. Tempered glass doesn't "run-out" like that, it shatters into a million little pieces.
I thought all glass used for homes had to be tempered [in the US anyway].

Also, assuming it is annealed, couldn't other defects still cause the annealing process to fail; resulting in unwanted internal stresses?

Dembadon
Gold Member
I thought all glass used for homes had to be tempered [in the US anyway].
Not all; just glass in stairwells; in the ceiling; in doors; in openings that are a certain distance from a door or a certain height off the ground; in shower doors; and a few I've probably forgotten. :biggrin:

I'm not sure about Poland, though. :smile:

In the U.S. it is common to see older homes (1970's and prior) that have annealed glass where tempered glass should be, but this is because the laws were different back then. Nowadays, your home won't pass inspection if you aren't up to code. And, as a glass company, you are required to meet code, even if you're installing glass in an older home that wasn't up to code when you accepted the job.

Dembadon
Gold Member
[...]

Also, assuming it is annealed, couldn't other defects still cause the annealing process to fail; resulting in unwanted internal stresses?
That's a good question. I'm not sure, but I've never had a piece of glass that was stamped tempered turn out to be annealed. I think that would be a major liability for the manufacturer. My dad might know, he was a glazer for approximately 35 years. I'll ask him if I remember the next time I talk to him.

Just to be safe, pour baking flour all over the floor and paint big red Xs all over the walls. You might also want to cover the floor with tacs and potato chips and syrup.

Ghosts hate that stuff.

Just to be safe, pour baking flour all over the floor and paint big red Xs all over the walls. You might also want to cover the floor with tacs and potato chips and syrup.

Ghosts hate that stuff.
On the other hand, it sounds like fun for small animals, or some kind of fetish-wrestling. :biggrin:

Borek
Mentor
Convince Marzena to do so.

rhody
Gold Member
So Borek,

Did the suspect telescope have anything to do with the broken glass ?

Rhody... o:)

Borek
Mentor
I plan to interrogate the telescope shining a light down the tube.

I plan to interrogate the telescope shining a light down the tube.
Ooooh... an optical colonoscopy for optics!

Personally I have experienced a lot with ghost activity. If who ever it is wants your attention fear not they will be back with more calamity. You will just have to wait and see. Have you had a relative die recently? Perhaps one you were close too? There are many reasons activity can start and stop abrubtly. Is your house a new house or does it have history? Research may be in order. But if it is ghost activity you should deal with it. Happy hunting...

Personally I have experienced a lot with ghost activity. If who ever it is wants your attention fear not they will be back with more calamity. You will just have to wait and see. Have you had a relative die recently? Perhaps one you were close too? There are many reasons activity can start and stop abrubtly. Is your house a new house or does it have history? Research may be in order. But if it is ghost activity you should deal with it. Happy hunting...
Wow... you really need to read threads before you pour on the crackpot.