Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hausdorff Distance Proofs

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a compact set A[itex]\subset[/itex][itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex] and a point x[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex] define the distance from x to A as the quantity:

d(x, A)=inf({[itex]\left\|[/itex]x-y[itex]\right\|[/itex]: y[itex]\in[/itex]A})

Given two compact sets A, B [itex]\subset[/itex][itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex], define the Hausdorff distance between them to be:

d(A, B)=max(sup{d(x, B) : x[itex]\in[/itex]A}, sup{d(x, A) : x[itex]\in[/itex]B})

a. For any compact set A, prove that the function f : [itex]\Re[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex][itex]\Re[/itex] given by: f(x)=d(x, A) is continuous.

b. For any two compact sets A, B it's true that: d(A, B)<[itex]\infty[/itex]

c. For any two compact sets A, B it's true that d(A, B)=0 if and only if A=B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I handled part a. I'm just completely lost on b and c. Any help?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2
    The \left\ and \right\ should be norm.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    Edited for a typo.

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    For (b), you need to show that

[tex]\sup_{x\in A}{d(x,B)}[/tex]

is bounded and equivalently that

[tex]\sup_{x\in B}{d(x,A)}[/tex]

is bounded. Now, can you use (a) to show this?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    I got it! I really appreciate the help. I have one more question.

How do I show the following:

For any three compact sets: A, B, C we have a triangle inequality: d(A, C)[itex]\leq[/itex] d(A,B) + d(B, C)

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    Let

[tex]a(A,B)=\sup_{a\in A}{d(a,B)}[/tex]

(then [itex]d(A,B)=\max{a(A,B),a(B,A)}[/itex]).

Try to show first that

[tex]a(A,B)\leq a(A,C)+a(C,B)[/tex]

Thus, show the triangle inequality first for a.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook