1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hausdorffness -quotient space of a hausdorff space

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let (X,[itex]\tau[/itex]) be a hausdorff space and let ~ be an equivalence relation, so that all equivalence classes are finite. Prove: X/~ is also a hausdorff space.

2. Relevant equations
    Here's the definition of the standard topology of X/~:
    Let q:X-> X/~ be the function that sends x to [x] (its equivalence class). U is called "open" in X/~ if q-1(U) is open in X.

3. The attempt at a solution

Sounds like a simple enough exercise , but unfortunately I can't solve it.
    I started out of course with taking two distinct points, [x], [y] in X/~.
    We know that [x], [y] are finite.
    Now, at this point I'll assume [x] = {x} and [y] = {y}. It's not a necessary simplification, it's just going to save some messy writing... otherwise I'd have to deal with lots of sets and indexes. If I can solve it for this example I should be able to solve the general case (that [x] and [y] contain n and m elements each).
    My goal is to find two open distinct sets around [x] and [y] in X/~.
    We know that since [x] ≠ [y], x ≠ y. Therefore, we have two distinct open sets U, V in X around x and y respectively.
    That's the part where I'm not sure anymore what to do.
    I tried taking the obvious parallel sets in X/~ according to this definition:
    For a set U in X define: = {[x] : [itex]x \in U[/itex]}.
    So I would expect that and [V] would be the two desired sets in X/~. Unfortunately, I cannot prove that they are distinct, nor do I think it's necessarily correct.

Does anyone have an idea here?

Thanks a lot!

Tomer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted