Hausdorffness -quotient space of a hausdorff space

• Thread starter Tomer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
Your Name]In summary, Tomer is seeking help with a proof for a problem involving a hausdorff space and an equivalence relation. They are trying to find two open sets in X/~ that are distinct and contain [x] and [y] respectively, but are having trouble proving that the inverse images of U and V under q are necessarily distinct. They have simplified the problem by assuming that [x] and [y] only contain one element each, and are looking for a general solution. A scientist specializing in topology provides a proof by showing that we can find two distinct open sets in X/~ such that [x] and [y] are contained in them respectively, and the sets are disjoint. This proves that X/~
Tomer

Homework Statement

Let (X,[itex]\tau[/itex]) be a hausdorff space and let ~ be an equivalence relation, so that all equivalence classes are finite. Prove: X/~ is also a hausdorff space.

Homework Equations

Here's the definition of the standard topology of X/~:
Let q:X-> X/~ be the function that sends x to [x] (its equivalence class). U is called "open" in X/~ if q-1(U) is open in X.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sounds like a simple enough exercise , but unfortunately I can't solve it.
I started out of course with taking two distinct points, [x], [y] in X/~.
We know that [x], [y] are finite.
Now, at this point I'll assume [x] = {x} and [y] = {y}. It's not a necessary simplification, it's just going to save some messy writing... otherwise I'd have to deal with lots of sets and indexes. If I can solve it for this example I should be able to solve the general case (that [x] and [y] contain n and m elements each).
My goal is to find two open distinct sets around [x] and [y] in X/~.
We know that since [x] ≠ [y], x ≠ y. Therefore, we have two distinct open sets U, V in X around x and y respectively.
That's the part where I'm not sure anymore what to do.
I tried taking the obvious parallel sets in X/~ according to this definition:
For a set U in X define: = {[x] : [itex]x \in U[/itex]}.
So I would expect that and [V] would be the two desired sets in X/~. Unfortunately, I cannot prove that they are distinct, nor do I think it's necessarily correct.

Does anyone have an idea here?

Thanks a lot!

Tomer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Tomer,

Thank you for posting this question on the forum. I am a scientist who specializes in topology and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

First, let me clarify the definition of the standard topology on X/~. It is defined as follows:
A subset U of X/~ is open if and only if q^-1(U) is open in X.

Now, for your proof, you are on the right track. Let [x] and [y] be two distinct points in X/~. We know that [x] and [y] are finite, so let [x] = {x1, x2, ..., xn} and [y] = {y1, y2, ..., ym}. Since X is a Hausdorff space, we can find two open sets U and V in X such that x1 ∈ U and y1 ∈ V, and U and V are disjoint. Now, let's look at the inverse images of U and V under q.

q^-1(U) = {x1, x2, ..., xn} and q^-1(V) = {y1, y2, ..., ym}

Since U and V are disjoint, their inverse images are also disjoint. So we can choose two distinct open sets and [V] in X/~ such that [x] ∈ and [y] ∈ [V], and and [V] are disjoint.

Therefore, we have found two distinct open sets and [V] in X/~ such that [x] ∈ and [y] ∈ [V], and and [V] are disjoint. This proves that X/~ is a Hausdorff space.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a topological space in which any two distinct points have disjoint open neighborhoods. This means that for any two points in the space, there exist open sets that contain one point but not the other.

2. What is a Hausdorff quotient space?

A Hausdorff quotient space is a quotient space that is also a Hausdorff space. This means that the space is obtained by identifying certain points in a Hausdorff space, while still maintaining the property of being Hausdorff.

3. How is a Hausdorff quotient space different from a regular quotient space?

A regular quotient space is obtained by identifying points in a topological space, without any restrictions on the properties of the resulting space. A Hausdorff quotient space, on the other hand, must also be Hausdorff, which ensures that it is a well-behaved space.

4. What are some examples of Hausdorff spaces?

Some examples of Hausdorff spaces include Euclidean spaces, metric spaces, and topological spaces with the discrete topology. In general, any space that satisfies the Hausdorff property is a Hausdorff space.

5. What are the applications of Hausdorff quotient spaces?

Hausdorff quotient spaces are used in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic topology, functional analysis, and differential geometry. They also have applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of phase transitions and control theory.