Have any non Americans not heard of the music group Boney M?

• Music
  • Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Music
In summary, non Americans have not heard of the music group Boney M, while Americans have. Men at Work were a huge success in Australia, but had a tough time entering into the US market. However, their masterpiece "Land down Under" was a huge hit all over the world. Daddy Cool, a musical based on the music of Boney M, opened in London in October 2006.
jobyts
Have any non Americans not heard of the music group Boney M? Or any American heard of Boney M?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_M

I was quite surprised that none of my American friends ever heard of them. Boney M was a world hit in 70s and 80s. At the bottom of the above wiki link, they give the chart positions in various countries.

I was wondering it is a difference in the music taste or poor marketing?

Another one, "Men at work" from Australia. They were a huge success in Australia, but also had a tough time entering into US market. But their masterpiece "Land down Under"
() was a huge hit all over the world. Amazing song...

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
My folks listened to them a little bit in the 90s. I probably wouldn't remember them if they didn't have such a cool name.

ps I'm from Canada :0

I like some of their stuff. As catchy as it is, though, I'm a little sick of 'Rasputin'.
I'm also in Canada.

jobyts said:
Have any non Americans not heard of the music group Boney M? Or any American heard of Boney M?
I think they were more of a european hit.
Germans have a very weird taste in pop music.

I'm in the US and never heard of Boney M.

I never heard of them either, and I'm pretty heavily into music. Of course, I'm not into Pop, so that might be a factor. When I was traveling a lot, Men at Work got a lot of air-play - always that same hit single, it seems. In some parts of the country, radio is a wasteland. Maine is really bad, with the exception of WKIT - Steven King's radio station that plays rock and blues. The other big stations in the state are all owned by conglomerates and are programmed remotely.

This is my favorite Boney M.
"Never never change lovers in the middle of the night"

Don't look at the video, that's quite funny (especially the guy) compared to today's standards. But I would be surprised if you are into pop/disco music and do not like this beat.

Men at Work had a good sound to them. Always wish I could have seen them live. They have quite a few other songs which were good other than Down Under, like; Be Good Johnny, Underground, It's a Mistake, I Like To, ect.

Few people might remember the group, but I'll bet a lot more remember Rasputin. It was quite popular.

I too am Canadian. Is that a coincidence?

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/09-07/daddy-cool.html

Their popularity continues to this day with recent concerts in India, Israel, Russia, the United Kingdom, South Ossetia (yes Boney M performs in breakaway states), Lithuania (a New Year’s Eve performance for Vladimir Putin and 16,000 of his closest friends!), Bulgaria, and Poland. A musical based on the music of Boney M entitled Daddy Cool opened in London in October 2006. What I find most amazing is that Boney M is the only artist to have two of the top ten all-time best selling singles in the United Kingdom. Not even the mighty Beatles or Rolling Stones managed that accomplishment, only Boney M.

The contrasting lack of success Boney M attained in the United States is equally startling. Boney M’s highest charting album in the US reached 134th and their highest charting song reached only 30th. Some of Boney M’s most popular albums were not even available on compact disc in the United States until 2007. It seems that North Americans can add Boney M along with soccer on the list of international phenomenons they just don’t appreciate.

I see ...so it's not just US who don't appreciate Boney M, it's all north americans :)

jobyts said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_M

I was quite surprised that none of my American friends ever heard of them. Boney M was a world hit in 70s and 80s. At the bottom of the above wiki link, they give the chart positions in various countries.

I was wondering it is a difference in the music taste or poor marketing?

Another one, "Men at work" from Australia. They were a huge success in Australia, but also had a tough time entering into US market. But their masterpiece "Land down Under"
() was a huge hit all over the world. Amazing song...

Danger said:
I like some of their stuff. As catchy as it is, though, I'm a little sick of 'Rasputin'.
I'm also in Canada.

Damn y'all! I'd just gotten Rasputin out of my head. There go the next 7 years...

Another Canadian here and, yes, I've heard of Boney M. And not just their mega-hit Rasputin, (that was not the 90s) but On The Rivers of Babylon too.

Also, recently, my mother complained that their newly purchased vehicle didn't come with a cassette tape player, only a CD player. Further, she owns all of her favourite music cassette tapes and not CDs. I told her to send me a list and I'd download (legally) the albums (outdated word, yes?) and burn them to CDs for her. In her list was the Happy Christmas CD by Boney M.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

(She also wanted a Zamphir CD but I couldn't find that anywhere online. Thank heavens.)

I haven't heard of Boney M, and I'm certainly not going to listen to them after you refer to Land Down Under as an "amazing song." Thanks for the warning.

GeorginaS said:
Another Canadian here and, yes, I've heard of Boney M. And not just their mega-hit Rasputin, (that was not the 90s) but On The Rivers of Babylon too.

Also, recently, my mother complained that their newly purchased vehicle didn't come with a cassette tape player, only a CD player. Further, she owns all of her favourite music cassette tapes and not CDs. I told her to send me a list and I'd download (legally) the albums (outdated word, yes?) and burn them to CDs for her. In her list was the Happy Christmas CD by Boney M.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

(She also wanted a Zamphir CD but I couldn't find that anywhere online. Thank heavens.)

Cassette to MP3!
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5020866-1.html

And if you have some vinyl lying around:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FB44VA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(Okay, so the last one is kinda redundant, especially if you have a stereo-out on your record player, an adapter from Radioshack, and a line-in on your audio card).

I've always liked Boney M, and I'm from Norway.

MATLABdude said:
Damn y'all! I'd just gotten Rasputin out of my head. There go the next 7 years...

:tongue:

1. What is Boney M?

Boney M is a music group that was formed in Germany in 1975. They are known for their disco and reggae-influenced songs such as "Rivers of Babylon" and "Daddy Cool".

2. How popular is Boney M outside of America?

Boney M has achieved success in various countries around the world, including Europe, Australia, and South Africa. They have sold over 150 million records worldwide.

3. Have any non-Americans not heard of Boney M?

It is difficult to determine if there are any non-Americans who have not heard of Boney M, as their popularity varies in different regions. However, it is safe to assume that they have a significant fan base in many countries outside of America.

4. What are some of Boney M's most famous songs?

Boney M is known for their hits "Rivers of Babylon", "Daddy Cool", "Ma Baker", and "Rasputin". They have also covered popular songs such as "Mary's Boy Child" and "Brown Girl in the Ring".

5. Is Boney M still active?

The original members of Boney M have disbanded, but there have been various line-up changes over the years and the group still performs under the name "Boney M featuring Liz Mitchell". They continue to tour and perform their popular songs.