Have any republicans stopped buying Heinz ketchup?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential political implications of buying and consuming products from the Heinz corporation, which is owned by the wife of Democratic candidate John Kerry. Some participants expressed their opinions on whether or not they believe the Kerry family's purchases of Heinz products are a form of support for the campaign, while others argued that it is a personal choice and should not be taken to a political level. The conversation also touched on the topic of John Kerry's food preferences and how they may reflect on his understanding of regional cuisine.
wasteofo2
I just made a sandwich and put ketchup on it (Heinz), and thought to myself, "Wow, all these years of buying Heinz, my family's bassically been supporting the Kerry campaign even before it started." Which led me to wonder, have any of you republicans boycotted Heinz?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. I don't take politics to the personal level. I buy Ben & Jerry's ice cream too. And most of the music I listen to is to the Left.

Does it still count if you keep the ketchup on the right side of the fridge?

- Warren

Is this the same as sleeping with your textbook under your pillow?

wasteofo2 said:
I just made a sandwich and put ketchup on it (Heinz), and thought to myself, "Wow, all these years of buying Heinz, my family's bassically been supporting the Kerry campaign even before it started." Which led me to wonder, have any of you republicans boycotted Heinz?
No, I consider such actions to be pretty idiotic ("Freedom Fries?" gimme a break) - and I like B&J's iced cream too.

Who cares how companies send their money, its theirs after all.

B&J's ice cream is the best!

I'm just waiting for Kerry to pocket the campaign money, go on television and announce:

"I am no longer campaigning, in the usual sense. From now on ,I will be ordering you all to vote for me. If you do not, ketchup production will stop, and you will have to go 4 years with off-brand ketchup. My wife is a billionare, and because of this, so am I. We do not need anymore profit, we've been supplying the ketchup out of the goodness of our hearts. Please do not force my hand. "

At that point, I would vote for Kerry - I made the mistake of buying something other than heinz one time...worst ketchup ever!

It would be a very amusing political tactic.

Theresa Heinz owns only 2-2.5 % of Heinz. She has kept her money separate from Kerry's, other than one house that they own jointly. Heinz corporation, though donating to both political parties, has donated significantly more to Republicans than Democrats.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Theresa Heinz owns only 2-2.5 % of Heinz. She has kept her money separate from Kerry's, other than one house that they own jointly. Heinz corporation, though donating to both political parties, has donated significantly more to Republicans than Democrats.

Really. Seems rather odd considering that she is married to the Democratic candidate :biggrin:. http://www.johnkerry.com/about_teresa/

BTW, I heard her speak during the Democratic rally last week at NC State University, she has a fairly strong accent and slower in speech compared to the other speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding conservative criticism of Kerry for imagined ties to Heinz Corporation:

Although it is a sad commentary on the political culture that Heinz officials have to fend off suggestions that could lead to an ignorant boycott of its products, it may be that some on the left are piling the ketchup on their tofu burgers under the same mistaken impression of a link to the Kerry campaign. Those on the far right aren't the only stupid ones. Extreme partisanship drives everyone crazy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04091/293824.stm

loseyourname said:
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding conservative criticism of Kerry for imagined ties to Heinz Corporation:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04091/293824.stm

I really dont' thnk anyone here thought that Kerry, or his wife, have any real influence on Heinz as a whole.

Perhaps not on PF, but Heinz was getting protests. Maybe it hasn't been much of an issue outside of Pittsburgh.

When John and Ter-ay-sah Kerry have one of their late night snacks of pate de foie gras on crackers, do they reach for the Heinz ketchup or their cache of Grey Poupon Dijon mustard?

Since John was educated in Europe, he probabably has his own little off-brand Dijon mustard. The Americanized version that is sold in supermarkets is a joke to the French.

Are we honestly discussing what kind of mustard John Kerry uses in the politics forum?

loseyourname said:
Are we honestly discussing what kind of mustard John Kerry uses in the politics forum?
The point is, how many Heinz products do you suppose are in the Kerry pantry. I don't think many of the meals the Kerry's eat call for ketchup or gerkins. Do you remember Kerry ordering a Philly chessesteak sandwich with Swiss cheese and then compounding the error by eating it like a sissy. Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are meant to be scarf down with Chez Whiz. This man has no clue.

Robert Zaleski said:
The point is, how many Heinz products do you suppose are in the Kerry pantry. I don't think many of the meals the Kerry's eat call for ketchup or gerkins. Do you remember Kerry ordering a Philly chessesteak sandwich with Swiss cheese and then compounding the error by eating it like a sissy. Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are meant to be scarf down with Chez Whiz. This man has no clue.
There are few outside southeastern PA who understand the true nature of The Cheesesteak.

Robert Zaleski said:
The point is, how many Heinz condiments do you suppose are in the Kerry pantry. I don't think many of the meals the Kerry's eat call for ketchup. Do you remember Kerry ordering a Philly chessesteak sandwich with Swiss cheese and then compounding the error by eating it like a sissy. Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are meant to be scarf down with Chez Whiz.

As a native Philadelphian who has consumed at least 5000 cheese steaks I assure you, they do not involve cheez whiz. The original stuff used at "Pat's" looked like cheez whiz, but did not contain the 50% salt that cheez whiz has.
Also, it is not a cheesesteak sandwich. It is a cheesesteak. Or, as I always heard it, "Chistek, fry oyuh?" Which is mediterranean immigrant speak for,"You want a cheesesteak. Do you want fried onions with that?" When giving someone a cheesesteak, there is no time for extraneous words!

The evolution of the cheesesteak is truly a wonderous thing. I think the most dominant subspecies is now the provolone variety, though that may be an artifact of observation. I eat so many of them that the local proprieters might just assume that is the way they should be made. It could be that if I am not residing in your area temporarily, that provolone would not be dominant. I have had them with swiss cheese, and it is good for a change, but certainly not the best way to have it. Until you have eaten at least a hundred with "normal" cheeses, I wouldn't recommend swiss. It could warp you in some unhealthy way.

It could be said that there is no wrong way to eat a cheesesteak. IT WOULD BE WRONG! You people going to "Jerry's subs" and getting lettuce and mayonnaise on those ... those ... whatever they are they aren't cheesesteaks!
Njorl

Remind me not to bring up the subjects of cheese and sandwiches around anyone from Philadelphia.

Stay tuned for next week's episode, when our Galloping Gourmet (you do a lot of galloping after eating 5,000 cheesesteaks) chit chats with Rocky Balboa on his techniques for tenderizing cheesesteak beef.

Robert Zaleski said:
The point is, how many Heinz products do you suppose are in the Kerry pantry. I don't think many of the meals the Kerry's eat call for ketchup or gerkins.
Apparently, Theresa hands out packets of Heinze ketchup as a treat for trick or treat. Perhaps she gets a complimentary supply of ketchup packets?

kat said:
Apparently, Theresa hands out packets of Heinze ketchup as a treat for trick or treat.
And then writes the whole thing off as a charitable contribution. By the way Kat, did you mean to say trick instead of treat?

JohnDubYa said:
Remind me not to bring up the subjects of cheese and sandwiches around anyone from Philadelphia.
Beware the wrath of the scorned Philadelphian: my sister once ordered a "Cheese Steak" in LA and got a sirloin with a piece of cheese on it. She was none too happy.

It was her fault for not calling it a cheese steak SANDWICH.

1. What prompted this question about republicans and Heinz ketchup?

This question likely stems from the fact that Heinz is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, whose CEO is a well-known democrat and supporter of democratic causes and candidates. This has led some people to wonder if republicans would stop purchasing Heinz products as a form of protest.

2. Is there any evidence to suggest that republicans have stopped buying Heinz ketchup?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support the claim that republicans have stopped purchasing Heinz ketchup. While some individuals may choose to boycott the brand for political reasons, it is not a widespread or organized movement.

3. What impact would a potential boycott of Heinz ketchup by republicans have on the company?

It is difficult to predict the exact impact of a potential boycott on Heinz ketchup sales, as it would depend on the number of individuals participating and the duration of the boycott. However, Heinz is a large and diversified company with a range of products, so a potential boycott may not have a significant impact on overall sales.

4. How does Heinz's political affiliations and donations affect the quality of their products?

There is no evidence to suggest that Heinz's political affiliations and donations have any impact on the quality of their products. Heinz is a well-established and reputable brand known for producing high-quality condiments and other food products.

5. Are there any other factors that may influence a person's decision to purchase Heinz ketchup besides political beliefs?

Yes, there are many factors that may influence a person's decision to purchase Heinz ketchup, such as personal taste preferences, availability, and price. Political beliefs may play a role for some individuals, but it is unlikely to be the sole determining factor for most consumers.