Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I been poisoned?

  1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] Have I been poisoned?

    I've just found the most incredible cheese, camembert, except now my nose is stinging with ammonia (unmistakable), is this misfortunate? I didn't know cheeses have ammonia in them.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2
    I call dibs on your stuff when you die.
     
  4. Mar 17, 2006 #3

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Can i have your stereo
     
  5. Mar 17, 2006 #4
    I would drink some vinegar to counteract it.
     
  6. Mar 18, 2006 #5
    Why, is NH4+ less toxic somehow than NH3? That sounds almost reasonable. Anyway I have some very good vingear I've been meaning to drink for a while, it's just been sitting there.
     
  7. Mar 18, 2006 #6
    Don't drink it straight. Add ice and an olive.
     
  8. Mar 18, 2006 #7

    -Job-

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    You guys may be kidding, but i wouldn't mind a vinegar "shot" now and then. I love that stuff, mmm. :smile:
     
  9. Mar 18, 2006 #8
    I'm assuming you're all talking about the balsamic kind right? That stuff is delicious.
     
  10. Mar 18, 2006 #9
    I like vinegar but I don't believe I would want to drink a shot of it straight. Balsamic or any kind. Even the thought of a shot of Italian dressing is too much.
     
  11. Mar 18, 2006 #10

    Bystander

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    You're sure it wasn't used kitty litter?

    edit: Oh, all right --- cheeses are products of molds working on milk sugars, proteins, fats, you name the organic chemical --- some molds are "louder" than others as far as producing hydrazines, amines, and who knows what other godawful smells gourmets seek in cheeses. Brie, camembert, roquefort, limburger? I'd rather walk past a perfume counter than be in the same city block with these gourmet delights. Poisoned? Technically, yes --- EPA and OSHA both limit your exposure to less than you get cleaning windows, litter boxes, walking past Johnny on the spot. Actually imperiled your health? If you're allergic to mushrooms, you might wanta stick to something a bit milder, more processed, and cooked enough to be dead, like cheddars.
     
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  12. Mar 18, 2006 #11

    Monique

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    When your camembert smells of ammonia, it means it is well aged. The french would love it, but I'd say it's too close to its expiriation date (throw it out of your window).
     
  13. Mar 18, 2006 #12

    Astronuc

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    :rofl: Definitely a ribbon candidate this year!

    One could microwave the smelly cheese. :biggrin:

    As for mold's and cheese as Bystander mentioned, it might be a different mold spoiling the camember as opposed to the one added. Perhaps its time to 'through it out' as Monique suggested.
     
  14. Mar 18, 2006 #13
    Maybe in france you can get away with that, but we dont take our public streets as trash cans thank you! :rofl:
     
  15. Mar 18, 2006 #14
    Err, actually most of us do. :frown:
     
  16. Mar 18, 2006 #15
    That's becuase your in Baltimore. What a dump.
     
  17. Mar 18, 2006 #16

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    we don't?damn you 10 character limit!
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?



Similar Discussions: Have I been poisoned?
  1. Have I been banned? (Replies: 17)

  2. I could have been shot ? (Replies: 37)

Loading...