Is camembert cheese supposed to have ammonia in it?

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of a person potentially being poisoned from eating camembert cheese. Some suggested drinking vinegar as a remedy, while others joked about the situation. It was also mentioned that the smell of ammonia in the cheese meant it was well aged, but some advised throwing it out. The conversation also touched on the topic of mold in cheese and its effects on health.
rachmaninoff
[SOLVED] Have I been poisoned?

I've just found the most incredible cheese, camembert, except now my nose is stinging with ammonia (unmistakable), is this misfortunate? I didn't know cheeses have ammonia in them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I call dibs on your stuff when you die.

Can i have your stereo

I would drink some vinegar to counteract it.

zoobyshoe said:
I would drink some vinegar to counteract it.

Why, is NH4+ less toxic somehow than NH3? That sounds almost reasonable. Anyway I have some very good vingear I've been meaning to drink for a while, it's just been sitting there.

Don't drink it straight. Add ice and an olive.

You guys may be kidding, but i wouldn't mind a vinegar "shot" now and then. I love that stuff, mmm. :smile:

I'm assuming you're all talking about the balsamic kind right? That stuff is delicious.

-Job- said:
You guys may be kidding, but i wouldn't mind a vinegar "shot" now and then. I love that stuff, mmm. :smile:
I like vinegar but I don't believe I would want to drink a shot of it straight. Balsamic or any kind. Even the thought of a shot of Italian dressing is too much.

You're sure it wasn't used kitty litter?

edit: Oh, all right --- cheeses are products of molds working on milk sugars, proteins, fats, you name the organic chemical --- some molds are "louder" than others as far as producing hydrazines, amines, and who knows what other godawful smells gourmets seek in cheeses. Brie, camembert, roquefort, limburger? I'd rather walk past a perfume counter than be in the same city block with these gourmet delights. Poisoned? Technically, yes --- EPA and OSHA both limit your exposure to less than you get cleaning windows, litter boxes, walking past Johnny on the spot. Actually imperiled your health? If you're allergic to mushrooms, you might wanta stick to something a bit milder, more processed, and cooked enough to be dead, like cheddars.

Last edited:
When your camembert smells of ammonia, it means it is well aged. The french would love it, but I'd say it's too close to its expiriation date (throw it out of your window).

zoobyshoe said:
Don't drink it straight. Add ice and an olive.
:rofl: Definitely a ribbon candidate this year!

One could microwave the smelly cheese. :biggrin:

As for mold's and cheese as Bystander mentioned, it might be a different mold spoiling the camember as opposed to the one added. Perhaps its time to 'through it out' as Monique suggested.

The french would love it, but I'd say it's too close to its expiriation date (throw it out of your window).

Maybe in france you can get away with that, but we don't take our public streets as trash cans thank you! :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Maybe in france you can get away with that, but we don't take our public streets as trash cans thank you! :rofl:

Err, actually most of us do. :frown:

That's becuase your in Baltimore. What a dump.

cyrusabdollahi said:

we don't?damn you 10 character limit!

1. What causes camembert cheese to have an ammonia smell?

The presence of ammonia in camembert cheese is due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the aging process. As the cheese matures, bacteria break down the proteins and release ammonia as a byproduct, which gives the cheese its characteristic smell.

2. Is the presence of ammonia in camembert cheese safe to consume?

Yes, the presence of ammonia in camembert cheese is safe to consume. The level of ammonia is usually very low and does not pose any health risks. In fact, the presence of ammonia is an indicator of a well-aged camembert cheese.

3. Can the ammonia smell in camembert cheese be reduced or eliminated?

The ammonia smell in camembert cheese is a natural part of the aging process and cannot be completely eliminated. However, you can reduce the intensity of the smell by allowing the cheese to come to room temperature before consuming, as the ammonia odor is stronger when the cheese is cold.

4. How can I tell if my camembert cheese has gone bad?

If your camembert cheese has a strong, unpleasant ammonia smell, it may be a sign that the cheese has gone bad. Other signs of spoilage include visible mold growth, a slimy texture, or a sour taste. If you are unsure, it is always best to discard the cheese.

5. Is the presence of ammonia in camembert cheese a sign of poor quality?

No, the presence of ammonia in camembert cheese is not a sign of poor quality. In fact, it is a natural part of the cheese aging process and is essential for developing the cheese's flavor and texture. However, if the ammonia smell is overwhelming or unpleasant, it could indicate that the cheese has not been properly stored or has gone bad.