Is This the Correct Method for Finding dy/dx of y = ln(sin^{-1}(x))?

• Thread starter monet A
  • Start date
In summary, to find dy/dx for y = ln(sin^{-1}(x)), we can use implicit differentiation by first rewriting the equation as e^y = (sin^{-1}(x)) and then differentiating both sides using the chain rule. This results in dy/dx = 1/(sqrt(1-x^2) * (sin^{-1}(x))). Overall, this is a valid method, but it's important to be careful and avoid overthinking it.
monet A
To find dy/dx for

[tex] y = ln(sin^{-1}(x)) [/tex]

I did this:

[tex]
y = ln(sin^{-1}(x))
[/tex]

so

[tex]
e^y = (sin^{-1}(x))
[/tex]

and

[tex]
e^y \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {1} {\sqrt{1-x^2}}
[/tex]

then

[tex]
\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {1}{\sqrt {1-x^2} * e^y}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac {1}{\sqrt {1-x^2} * e^{ln(sin^{-1}(x))}}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac {1}{\sqrt {1-x^2} * (sin^{-1}(x))}}
[/tex]

I think that its all valid implicit differentiation but I m not 100% confident about it, please help.

:frown:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It looks fine to me, and the result checks out with ordinary differentiation. Which part were you uncertain about ?

You could have just as easily applied the chain rule but that seems to be fine :smile:

hypermorphism said:
It looks fine to me, and the result checks out with ordinary differentiation. Which part were you uncertain about ?

Just the validity of transferring y to differentiate both sides, I wasn't sure that I was differentiating the same equation, probably over thinking it.

Thanks heaps though because I think I am starting to become more capable with it but I don't want to be overconfident in mistakes.

:cool:

1. Have I followed the scientific method correctly?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to discovering new knowledge and testing hypotheses. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. As long as you have followed these steps and used reliable sources for your information, you have followed the scientific method correctly.

2. How do I know if my results are accurate?

Accuracy in science refers to the closeness of a measurement to the true value. To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise instruments, repeat experiments multiple times, and compare results with others in the scientific community. Additionally, peer review and replication of studies can help validate the accuracy of your results.

3. Is my sample size large enough?

The size of your sample depends on the type of research you are conducting. In general, a larger sample size is preferred as it increases the likelihood of obtaining reliable results. However, the sample size should be determined based on the specific research question and the level of statistical significance needed.

4. Have I considered all potential variables?

It is important to consider all potential variables that may affect your results. This includes not only the independent and dependent variables, but also any confounding variables that could skew your data. Careful planning and control of experiments can help minimize the impact of these variables on your results.

5. How can I improve my study for future research?

One way to improve your study for future research is to carefully document your methods and procedures. This allows others to replicate your study and build upon your findings. Additionally, you can seek feedback from other scientists and incorporate their suggestions into your research design. Continuously refining and improving your study can help further advance scientific knowledge in your field.