Unit Conversion in Bending Stress Calculations

• Thread starter cjm181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the bending moment and stress of a beam. The final answer for stress is in N/m^2 or MN/m^2 and the workbook uses Nm^-2 or MNm^-2 for stress. The conversation also explains how the units of stress are derived using the laws of exponents.
cjm181

Homework Statement

This is the problem I am working through. I am up to (b). I am struggling with the units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93763273@N05/8815418518/lightbox/

My question is, why is the final answer in N/m^2? and why does the workbooks list stress in the units of N/m^-2

the beam is 100mm wide and 200mm deep

Homework Equations

m/I=σ/y

σ=(my)/I

I = (bd^3)/12

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn out the bending moment diagram, and calculated a max bending moment to be m = 8.333kN. This is the same as other people attempting this question are getting. So I am happy with that.
y = 100mm or 0.1m

I = (0.1x0.2^3)/12 = 6.66667x10^-5m^4

so, σ=(my)/I

σ=(8333 x 0.1) / 6.66667x10^-5
σ=12499499.94 N/m^2 or 12.5x10^6N/m^2
or
σ= 12.5 MN/m^2 or 12.5 N/mm^2

Thanks,
Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
cjm181 said:

Homework Statement

This is the problem I am working through. I am up to (b). I am struggling with the units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93763273@N05/8815418518/lightbox/

My question is, why is the final answer in N/m^2? and why does the workbooks list stress in the units of N/m^-2

Are you sure the workbook isn't using units of Nm-2 for stress? {No slash}

Argh, yeah they are, so my answer shouldn't have a slash either? the units are MNm-2

So ignoring the slash in my question, can you explain the units to me and what is the -2?

Kr
Craig

cjm181 said:
Argh, yeah they are, so my answer shouldn't have a slash either? the units are MNm-2

So ignoring the slash in my question, can you explain the units to me and what is the -2?

Kr
Craig

Remember the Laws of Exponents? How 1/x2 = x-2 ?

umm you have confused me a little more now, Stress is force per unit area, so should the answer as I have written it be MN/m2?

Argh, think I have it!
a/b2 is the same as ab-2

so my answer is 12.5MN/m2 or 12.5MN m-2

haha was typing out my reply at the same time! thanks SteamKing for pointing me in the right direction!

cjm181 said:
umm you have confused me a little more now, Stress is force per unit area, so should the answer as I have written it be MN/m2?

Argh, think I have it!
a/b2 is the same as ab-2

so my answer is 12.5MN/m2 or 12.5MN m-2
Or 12.5 MPa

Just on this subject, if in σ=(my)/I we got (Newtons x Metres)/Metres4, then why do we end up with Newton/Metres2??

think I got it now, we actually have ((N x m) x m) / m4

so using
an/am=an-m

so it comes down to Nm2/m4 = N (m2/m4) = N/m2

1. What does it mean to have the right units?

Having the right units means that the units used to measure a quantity are appropriate and consistent with the physical properties being measured. For example, measuring weight in kilograms rather than meters would not be the correct unit since weight is a measure of mass, not length.

2. Why is it important to have the right units?

Havig the right units is important because it ensures accurate and consistent measurements. Using incorrect units can lead to incorrect calculations and confusion when communicating data to others.

3. How can I check if I have the right units?

You can check if you have the right units by comparing the units used to measure a quantity with the known physical properties of that quantity. You can also use unit conversion factors to verify if the units used are appropriate for the measurement.

4. What can happen if I use the wrong units?

If you use the wrong units, it can lead to incorrect calculations and inaccurate results. It can also cause confusion and miscommunication when sharing data with others.

5. Can I convert units if I realize I have the wrong ones?

Yes, you can convert units if you realize you have the wrong ones. Unit conversion factors can be used to convert between different units of measurement. It is important to check the accuracy of the conversion factor and use it correctly in calculations.