1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I solved this ODE correctly?

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y' + siny + xcosy + x = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    well, I've used Weierstrauss substitutions: siny = 2t/(1+t^2) , cosy = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2) , dy = 2dt/(1+t^2) where t=tan(x/2).

2/(1+t^2)dt + 2t/(1+t^2)dx + x(1-t^2)/(1+t^2)dx + xdx = 0
    2dt + 2tdx + x(1-t^2)dx + x(1+t^2)dx = 0
    2dt + (2t + x(1-t^2) + x(1+t^2))dx = 0
    2dt + (2t + x - xt^2 + x + xt^2)dx = 0
    2dt + (2t + 2x)dx = 0
    dt + (t+x)dx = 0

well, if I multiply e^x to both sides, it'll be an exact differential and after integrating I'll have:
    te^x + xe^x - e^x + C. after substituting t= tan(x/2) we obtain:
    e^x(tan(y/2) + x - 1) + C.

well, this is a problem that our professor gave in the last lecture for extra score in the final exam. so I wanna be sure that I've solved it and my method is correct.
    Is it correct if I substitute t=tan(x/2)? because the original problem is defined everywhere but after I use Weierstrauss substitutions then I should restrict x to the x's that are defined. (x=pi and -pi are obviously not defined now). Wouldn't that cause problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You should have an equation. Is it te^x + xe^x - e^x + C = 0?
    You can check your solution yourself. Differentiate your final equation implicitly, and substitute into your differential equation.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Yea. It's te^x + xe^x - e^x + C = 0. (I had written only the answer of the integration).

Of course, but that would be terribly tedious.

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

Mark44

So it's OK for us to do the tedious work of checking, but not you?

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    lol. I'm asking you to check if I've done it correctly. that means I'm asking others to see whether what I've done makes sense to them or not.

7. Oct 24, 2011 #6

Mark44

Who are you going to ask for a problem on a test? Checking your solution is a good habit to get into when you're solving differential equations.

8. Oct 24, 2011 #7
    well, that's a good advice. I checked my solution and it worked. but there is one question remained to be answered. There are points like x=pi where tan(x/2) is not defined. those points certainly need to be taken care of I think. How should I treat those points?

9. Oct 25, 2011 #8
    well, I realized that I'll have to treat the points of the form y=2kπ + π separately (because for such points tan(y/2) is not defined and I'm missing some solutions of the ODE for that reason). if I plug y=2kπ+π into the equation I'll obtain:

y' + sin(2kπ+π) + xcos(2kπ+π) + x = 0
    y' + 0 + x(-1) + x = 0 -> y' = 0 which means y = C.

Do I need to find what C is?

10. Oct 26, 2011 #9
    Any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook