Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have men been priced out of the dating market?

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    I want to preface this by saying that I'm not making a claim about the way things should be; I'm just saying the way they are. I know that I'm gonna get attacked by feminists who say I want to go back to making women second-class citizens. I'm not saying that.

Now, the first thing to understand is that, back in the old days, marriages were forged out of economic necessity for women. If you were a man who made a living in the old days, you wouldn't have any problem finding a woman. Today, women are making a living on their own, so their economic motive is to upgrade their lifestyle by marrying a guy who is making not just a living but a good living. I'd peg the number of men who make what is considered a "good living" to be around 10% or less.

Is there any hope for the other 90% of men who aren't making a good living? Do women have any reason to want them? Yes, only if these men have some genetic worth, that is, if they're good looking. And women have extremely high standards for what is considered "good looking" for men (They consider over 80% of men to be below average in attractiveness: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/), so I'd say that the percentage of men who can get by in the dating scene by virtue of being tall and handsome is also less than 10%. Why would women settle for anything less? If they want to have kids, which many do want, they can just go to a sperm bank and get Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome in the event that they can't be knocked up by him the natural way.

Bottom line: If you're not good-looking or rich, you're basically useless to women. Try online dating if you don't believe me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Wow, it all makes sense now! All men who are not good-looking or rich are useless to women. That would explain why only the rich and beautiful fall in love, have committed relationships, and possibly end up getting married. Hmm...wait...that's not even remotely how the world is now is it? It's not only the feminists who would find your ramblings offensive but rather anyone who engages in rational thought.

4. May 10, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the problem is not women, but online dating sites. Things like okcupid are free, but they don't have as much guarantees as other (non-free) dating sites.

5. May 10, 2013 #4
    Yes, you're right. A lot of men who aren't rich or good-looking get married. Because the women finally decided they had to "settle."

6. May 10, 2013 #5
    For the record, I've never tried online dating, but I've heard nothing besides horror stories by men who have tried it. I'd also say that it's an accurate representation of the real-life dating market, based on my observations: the average woman has tons of options, but the average man doesn't.

N84euBo.jpg

7. May 10, 2013 #6
    I think you're comparing women who want to find someone to marry with men who want to find someone to have sex with. It's apples and oranges.

8. May 10, 2013 #7
    This is so incorrect I don't know where to start.

Women want men who make them feel good about themselves. If you're good at that, money and looks are immaterial.

This sort of thing:

9. May 10, 2013 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

+1

Well said.

10. May 10, 2013 #9

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I consider myself the average male. What I find is that women don't tend to price men out, men just end up shooting themselves in the foot anyway. Guys want to impress a woman because they think if a woman believes they are awesome, she surely will fall for him. I'm not an expert, but I've always felt that that was the wrong approach, yet a common approach.

I do believe, based on looks, a lot of females will rate males lower than average. However, i've found that a lot of females will have a change of opinion on how good looking a guy is based on his character. Suddenly the dorky guy with a weird hair cut, is the cute guy with quirks because he is thoughtful and makes her feel like someone important.

To say you're useless to someone if you have a lower income or not good looking is completely missing the point on more key aspects of a relationship. The ability to make the person feel special, cared for, the ability to listen to her, remember important day, and be a good friend will win over more women than a guy driving up in his new shiny car.

Take it from a guy who married a model while driving a 1973 F-100 XLT. Yes 100 -_-.

11. May 10, 2013 #10
    Duh. But that doesn't make them attracted to you. It's not like some short, bald guy can just walk up to a supermodel and compliment her, then she'll suddenly gain an attraction to him. And in fact lots of women hate getting hit on by unattractive men because it makes them feel unattractive. If you're already attractive to them, however, then your expression of being attracted to them will make them feel good.

12. May 10, 2013 #11

Evo

I know lots of women that actually like men that aren't considered attractive by media standards, I'm one of them, my daughters are the same as me.

13. May 10, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I'm one of them as well :smile:

14. May 10, 2013 #13

Evo

:smile:

15. May 10, 2013 #14
    Was all that to just say that very rich, very handsome, very confident men have an easier go at getting first dates than other people?

16. May 10, 2013 #15
    I think who you are makes a bigger impact on a woman than what you look like.
    I agree that looks will get you in the door faster, but if you have a bad personality, then your looks don't really mean much.
    I know a guy who I think doesn't look good at all. He's actually kinda ugly. But he has the charisma and alluring personality that made me not surprised to see that he has a beautiful girlfriend who is making the majority of the income in that relationship. He works manual labor and she's a nurse.

17. May 10, 2013 #16
    Disregard females.
    Acquire currency.

18. May 10, 2013 #17
    I seriously don't know which universe you guys live in. I know so many boring, unintelligent, but good-looking guys who have no problem finding girlfriend after girlfriend.

19. May 10, 2013 #18

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

loooool oh god I'm dead this is too hilarious I love this meme

20. May 10, 2013 #19

MarneMath

Education Advisor

So because you find them unintelligent and boring other people do too? Who knew different people got along with different kinds of people for a myriad of reasons? Perhaps this boring idiot might just really be a great conservationist? Nah...that can't be it.

21. May 11, 2013 #20
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook