Have men been priced out of the dating market?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: what do you consider to be your personal observations?...that guys want to impress a woman because they think if a woman believes they are awesome, she surely will fall for him. +1
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a pretty face, but I'm flat broke. You can't have everything in life.

Lavabug said:
That's not what my 2nd grade teacher told me; I can have everything I want, that's what the education system taught me!

WannabeNewton said:
I can't see his face :frown: What if he isn't pretty :cry:

True beauty is on the inside...

dirk_mec1 said:

of his wallet!

dirk_mec1 said:
Boooo give me something I can actually work with man

WannabeNewton said:
Boooo give me something I can actually work with man

Ok, how about this:

All (feminist) women in my environment tell other women: "You don't need a man to be happy, living your life to the fullest and be independent makes you happy!"

Lavabug said:

I retract the first statement, apparently 48 women on social dating sites concur I'm ugly! There goes what was left of my self-esteem... and my account. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
dirk_mec1 said:
Ok, how about this:

All (feminist) women in my environment tell other women: "You don't need a man to be happy, living your life to the fullest and be independent makes you happy!"

Yeah, I think they're wrong about that. Considering the amount of time, resources and energy most people put into finding a life partner, and the number of studies out there that conclude that married people are happier than single people, I'd say that statement doesn't stand up to empirical verification.

Lavabug said:
I retract the first statement, apparently 48 women on social dating sites concur I'm ugly! There goes what was left of my self-esteem... and my account. :P

No-no-no, please don't put any consideration to faceless, anonymous opinions on the innerwebs! We know you here, and we like you a lot :smile:.

daveyrocket said:
Yeah, I think they're wrong about that. Considering the amount of time, resources and energy most people put into finding a life partner,
That time energy and resources is mostly spend by men...

and the number of studies out there that conclude that married people are happier than single people,
That does not mean that this holds for all pepole :)

I'd say that statement doesn't stand up to empirical verification.
Maybe somebody should make another paper regarding this subject.

lisab said:
No-no-no, please don't put any consideration to faceless, anonymous opinions on the innerwebs! We know you here, and we like you a lot :smile:.
You say that lisa because you can't see his face on PF

dirk_mec1 said:
You say that lisa because you can't see his face on PF

Absolutely. And the voters were definitely not faceless or anonymous!

I apologize for the cuss. :P

Baby youuuuu're amaaziiiiing juuuuust the waaaaaaaaay you aaaaaaaaaaaaare

Hmm, I don't agree to the OP. My first point being that not everyone equates marriage or even children, with the ideal bond. In fact, I'm not planning to get married for quite some time, until it becomes financial advantageous to do so. My boyfriend feels the same way. Being secular has it's benefits. We see it as a big hoopla about nothing.

I didn't accept my boyfriend's advances becuase he was attractive. He was the first guy I've ever met outside of other physics majors that when I said "I study physics" he was entirely honest. He said "I don't know much about physics, but if you listen to my talk of history, I'll listen to your talk of physics"

Rather than "Oh, I'm so sorry"

He's an okay looking guy, but he was unemployed for 2 years of our relationship. Did I leave, even though I'm an average female who could "find better"? Absolutely not. To me, a relationship is a friendship first and foremost. Sure you can love someone, but do you LIKE them. That's the real question.

Money doesn't make you more likable. Looks don't make you more likable. Those things make you more tolerable, more approachable--but at the end of the day, it's what's inside. If you can't be silly, talk for hours, hold one another and support one another, then what are you? And here's a newsflash, even "ugly" people can laugh and cry and smile.

I'm sorry about your difficulties in dating. But to make sweeping generalizations about the playing field with little more than anecdotal evidence and bias will get you no where.

Cheers

To me, a relationship is a friendship first and foremost. Sure you can love someone, but do you LIKE them.
Random fact, my wife and I were married for over a year before she decided to like me. It took me nearly dying =(.

HayleySarg said:
Hmm, I don't agree to the OP. My first point being that not everyone equates marriage or even children, with the ideal bond. In fact, I'm not planning to get married for quite some time, until it becomes financial advantageous to do so. My boyfriend feels the same way. Being secular has it's benefits. We see it as a big hoopla about nothing.

I didn't accept my boyfriend's advances becuase he was attractive. He was the first guy I've ever met outside of other physics majors that when I said "I study physics" he was entirely honest. He said "I don't know much about physics, but if you listen to my talk of history, I'll listen to your talk of physics"

Rather than "Oh, I'm so sorry"

He's an okay looking guy, but he was unemployed for 2 years of our relationship. Did I leave, even though I'm an average female who could "find better"? Absolutely not. To me, a relationship is a friendship first and foremost. Sure you can love someone, but do you LIKE them. That's the real question.

Money doesn't make you more likable. Looks don't make you more likable. Those things make you more tolerable, more approachable--but at the end of the day, it's what's inside. If you can't be silly, talk for hours, hold one another and support one another, then what are you? And here's a newsflash, even "ugly" people can laugh and cry and smile.

I'm sorry about your difficulties in dating. But to make sweeping generalizations about the playing field with little more than anecdotal evidence and bias will get you no where.

Cheers

It's more than just anecdotal. I posted a ref. to data supporting that people with higher income are more likely to marry--other people with high income-- than people with lower income, which are less-likely to marry (and, if/when they do marry they are much more likley to marry someone else of lower income).

Last edited:
Perhaps the claim about being married specifically can be disputed. But I think it's hard to argue that people in long-term relationships are less happy than people who are alone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23097143

Looks like I'm lacking in all of the things they point out.

Hence why I specifically stated happiness doesn't correlate with marriage. Sure, lower income people are less lilkely to marry. Female professors are less likely to have children--are they miserable?

So what if you marry someone with a lower income? I don't really understand the issue.

All I see is that people with equal stats marry one another. It's unusual to find someone leaping many levels above their "league". I'm sure this has as much to do with physical appearance as it does lifestyle, social circle, and interests.

If you put yourself on a path to success and display self-mastery, confidence, humor, and other positive traits you will begin attracting many more options. You're correct that good looks and financial status play a role, but this can be improved over time with proper diet, exercise, and education. Intelligence is also valued highly, use yours to improve your social skills, physical appearance, status etc in a way that is open and approachable and you will find yourself with no shortage of dates. Basically improve yourself and hustle.

WannabeNewton said:
It's not only the feminists who would find your ramblings offensive but rather anyone who engages in rational thought.

This, pretty much.

Justify it however you want, OP, but there are plenty of middle to lower class men who end in relationships with beautiful women. It's just you.

Also, real life is much different than online dating, OP.