Have trouble finding work (PhD in Materials Science & Engineering)

In summary, the individual has experience in mechanical testing and has authored or coauthored a number of journal publications, research proposals, and progress reports. They would be a good fit for a physical testing lab or for a company that manufactures products with a high failure rate.
AMEP_101
I am about to graduate with a doctorate in a Materials Science & Engineer degree. I have the following experience:

- Mechanical testing such as indentation and bend testing
- X-ray/neutron diffraction characterization (in/ex situ)
- Basic proficiency in MATLAB
- Data analysis and applied mathematical modeling
- Sintering and diffusion couple experiments
- Scanning electron microscopy
- Metallographic sample preparation

I have authored/coauthored a number of journal publications, research proposals, and progress reports. What job do you think that I would be suitable for? I can give more details if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Where are you located physically? Are you willing to relocate for work opportunities?

One possibility would be to work at (and eventually manage) a physical testing lab, like the ones we use for product failure analysis. There are a number of them here in Silicon Valley, and probably some near where you currently live. I'll see if I can find some representative websites to show you what I mean (back in a bit...).

EDIT / ADD -- It looks like a Google search on Failure Analysis Labs gives a good sampling of the kinds of labs I have in mind...

https://www.google.com/search?q=failure+analysis+labs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

:smile:

Welcome to the PF.

Thanks.

Where are you located physically?

I am in the U.S.

Are you willing to relocate for work opportunities?

Yes, very flexible as long as moving expenses are covered by the company.

One possibility would be to work at (and eventually manage) a physical testing lab, like the ones we use for product failure analysis.

Sure, sounds interesting. However, will I get the chance to publish? That is a big criteria for where I would work.

There are a number of them here in Silicon Valley, and probably some near where you currently live. I'll see if I can find some representative websites to show you what I mean (back in a bit...). EDIT / ADD -- It looks like a Google search on Failure Analysis Labs gives a good sampling of the kinds of labs I have in mind...

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-phd-in-materials-science-engineering.963565/

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Likes berkeman
AMEP_101 said:
Sure, sounds interesting. However, will I get the chance to publish? That is a big criteria for where I would work.
I think that you would want to look at the larger failure analysis labs then, especially those that are inside larger companies (like aerospace companies and similar). With a larger captive lab like that, you would be working on product lines (versus whatever customers brought into the lab for analysis), and you could probably plan your research activities to dovetail with your work by discussing the possibilities with your managers. There could be some proprietary issues involved, depending on the products you are working with, but there are also some patent opportunities if your work leads to improved processes or designs based on the failures you are finding.

Likes Klystron
AMEP_101 said:
I am about to graduate with a doctorate in a Materials Science & Engineer degree. I have the following experience:

- Mechanical testing such as indentation and bend testing
- X-ray/neutron diffraction characterization (in/ex situ)
- Basic proficiency in MATLAB
- Data analysis and applied mathematical modeling
- Sintering and diffusion couple experiments
- Scanning electron microscopy
- Metallographic sample preparation

I have authored/coauthored a number of journal publications, research proposals, and progress reports. What job do you think that I would be suitable for? I can give more details if desired.

So why did you give the title of this thread as "... Have trouble finding work... "? From this post, it appears that you haven't been looking. Don't you attend conferences with job recruitment? The APS March Meeting and/or MRS meetings should have been something you should have attended. Have you also talked to your advisor on job prospects?

Zz.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I think that you would want to look at the larger failure analysis labs then, especially those that are inside larger companies (like aerospace companies and similar). With a larger captive lab like that, you would be working on product lines (versus whatever customers brought into the lab for analysis), and you could probably plan your research activities to dovetail with your work by discussing the possibilities with your managers. There could be some proprietary issues involved, depending on the products you are working with, but there are also some patent opportunities if your work leads to improved processes or designs based on the failures you are finding.
Yes to this. If the opportunity to publish is a major priority for the OP, then he should avoid contract analysis labs. Most of the work done there is under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with the client: (1) the contract lab staff member cannot publish the results on his own; and (2) even if the client does choose to publish the results, the contract lab staff member is performing a service for a fee and (barring any special agreement) is not entitled to be listed as a co-author. In limited special instances, publication may be permitted. For example, a university professor may be acting as a consultant to the contract lab, and a contract lab staff member may collaborate with the professor on a research project. In this instance, publication will provide the contract lab with public relations (PR) value.

To OP: If you want to publish, you should try:

* Government R&D labs (pick projects not subject to security restrictions barring publication)
* Instrument manufacturers developing new instruments or applying their existing instruments to new fields
* Large corporate R&D labs developing new materials or processes or applying existing materials or processes to new fields. Once upon a time, there was a wide selection to choose from. But they have dwindled a lot due to the high expenses involved (and as many Megacorps have exited materials, device, and hardware manufacturing to pursue higher profit margins in software and services).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What job opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering?

Having a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering opens up a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, energy, and healthcare. You can work in research and development, product design, quality control, or technical consulting roles.

2. Why is it difficult to find work with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering?

Finding work with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering can be challenging due to the highly specialized nature of the degree. Many companies may not have specific job positions that require a PhD in this field, and competition for available positions can be high.

3. What skills are most valued by employers for someone with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering?

Employers value a combination of technical skills and soft skills in candidates with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering. Technical skills such as materials characterization, data analysis, and problem-solving are highly sought after. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and project management are also important for success in the field.

4. How can I improve my chances of finding work with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering?

Networking is key to finding work with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering. Attend conferences, seminars, and job fairs to connect with professionals in the field and learn about job opportunities. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience through internships or research projects can make you a more competitive candidate.

5. Are there any alternative career paths for someone with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering?

Yes, there are alternative career paths for those with a PhD in Materials Science & Engineering. You can pursue a career in academia as a professor or researcher, or you can work in government or non-profit organizations in roles related to materials development and testing. You can also explore opportunities in entrepreneurship, patent law, or science communication.