Have u watched anime before? How did u find it?

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
In summary: Naruto and Bleach. For my taste, I think there's a lot of good anime out there for everyone to enjoy. :) Almost all anime sucks. There we go.

What do u think of Anime?

• I am Anime Fan!

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Forget about it.....

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Never watched before

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
darkar

Physics news on Phys.org
darkar said:

If that is anime, no missed letters, then never heard of it.

Anime is some sort of Japanese cartoon tradition, I think.

animé is the Japanese word for animation and is used by the Japanese to describe all forms of animation. In the west it is used to describe specifically Japanese animation.
I find it really fun to watch. My favorite anime series are Samurai X and Card Captor Sakura.

siddharth said:
animé is the Japanese word for animation and is used by the Japanese to describe all forms of animation. In the west it is used to describe specifically Japanese animation.
I find it really fun to watch. My favorite anime series are Samurai X and Card Captor Sakura.

Well that's me just so out of it.

YES, i'VE SEEN ANIMÉ, AND i THINK IT HAS CRAPPY ANIMATION, AND THE WHOLE 'MAGICAL POWERS' TYPE THEME IS JUST KINDA DUMB...

oops, caps lock was on

i used to watch loads of anime. I loved sailor moon and watched it religiously when i was younger, (though i know die hard anime fans says that show doesn't count...) i also watched pokemon until it became really popular and they created that card game, that annoyed me. i watch some weird anime show on that gaming network... G4... something... i forget... but its weird. i hate dragonballZ and I've caught a few episodes if that Avatar show lately.

i like anime ok.

I love the naruto series and the samurai x ova and like bleach and gensomaiden saiyuki( god bless BT). i also liked some old series such as doraemon and ranma.But i hate goth-anime combinations( like hellsing) and drama animes(chobits) and robot animes.The humour in animes will be mostly lost on westerners , i think.

I have watched one called Trigun, at the advice of friends and my brother. I actually liked it, they have also suggested I watch another that is similar called Rurouni Kenshin (I believe that was how it was spelled).

I suppose it is nice for free time, but I would not say I am a fan or that I am against watching it.

Anime sucks. But, eh, I hate to generalize. . .

Almost all anime sucks. There we go.

My friends and I used to watch DBZ like maniacs when we were kids, but now..blah...I just find everything so corny and stupid. Every other weekend I'll download a Naruto and watch it though..but even this is getting really lame (I only got into it because the first 20 eps kicked ass).

For your information, Rorouni kenshin is also known as Samurai X.

DBZ is really long, and made it a bit boredom...It will be better if it were shorter.

Since u watch naruto, i would suggest u try bleach and onepiece, i find it quite nice also.

siddharth said:
My favorite anime series are Samurai X and Card Captor Sakura.
I would recommend u watch tsubasa chronicle, from Clamp also :P

IMO, there are a lot of genre in Anime, range from fighting, comedy, fiction, mecha, superpower, detective... Maybe u will find one u like under those categories.

And to my amaze, many ppl think anime is just for kids, and childish... :(

Ghost in the Shell is good. Cowboy Bebop was pretty good too.

Japan anime is surely much worse than US movies since their frames are slower although they have lots of ideas.
I sometimes watch anime, I like Hime, it is old but actually I did refuse to buy the DVD because there are still a lot of DVDs out there that are trully much better and worth my money. Some of my relatives also doubt if that DVD is girlish, I mean it is for girls only, :smile:

Last edited:
There is a huge range of styles of anime out there, in terms of content, realism, genre, etc. As far as movies go, I liked Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll. Serial releases such as Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, s-CRY-ed are also very good. Most of those I have listed are fantasy/action and marketed toward an older crowd, however there are many that are pure humor/comedy and/or tailored more for kids.

darkar said:
IMO, there are a lot of genre in Anime, range from fighting, comedy, fiction, mecha, superpower, detective... Maybe u will find one u like under those categories.

And to my amaze, many ppl think anime is just for kids, and childish... :(

Yeah, it amazes me too. There's so much variety. Adult Swim on CN shows some great anime (obviously geared towards adults). I've been watching Paranoia Agent. Really loving it. Witch Hunter Robin is great.

I love the silly style anime like Dragonball (probably my favorite anime) and One Piece.

I love Sailormoon most. Although it was shown long time ago, many people are still addicted to it nowadays :)

I kill a thread T_T

Yeah, ur sailormoon killed this tread :)

I am an anime addict (cartoon addict in general), time is short at hand these days otherwise, i would still be watching one of them anime's right abt now. I need to start behaving like a 21 year old soon *o*, worst still, i have to fight with my 5 yr old cousin bro for the remote control o(#_#)o.

-- AI
P.S -> I have watched a lot of animes, going from dragon ballz, rourini kenshin, hungry heart, pokemon (oh yes this too), Inu Yasha etc etc ...

This is pretty sad but I am actually going to Commic Con if few days at the convention center in san diego.

There is A LOT of crappy anime programs out there, but there are some good ones.

@Yomamma: Yeah some people think that the animation is crap. It isn't wonderful but it really isn't as bad as some hardcore artists like to make it out to be. Also the whole 'magical' powers thing is everywhere. You're telling me you've never liked any fantasy at all? Come oooon...Ghostrider?? You don't get much cooler than that ;)

I don't watch much anime myself but my friend watches a lot of it. The only animes I've actually watched are Samurai Champloo, Trinity Blood and Basilisk.
Samurai Champloo was pretty damn cool, Trinity Blood is pretty gay but I like the concept of the Krusnik and Basilisk is decent as well. Basilisk is meant to be like Naruto in a way. I don't like Naruto 'cause my friend showed me one small bit where some guy lost the use of both his arms. Then he had a knife in his mouth and killed 50 people without using his arms...just his MOUTH! Pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

yup champloo is cool.

and yeah sailor moon sux.

but naruto is actually very good but there are long strecthes of crap in between the good stuff.

Some anime will have you to think a lot and they will pass a lot of messages to us.

For instance, Saikano, which tells us how cruel the war is and how bless we are when there is no war, and how the humanity might affect our future.

Eeek, I finished this anime 2 days ago and now my mind is still thinking about the story...

Ahh anime-->well, I only watch three of them:
*Inuyasha
*Samurai Champloo (love the "Shiki No Uta" ending theme)
*Case Closed
-as for Trigun-->i saw it some times, it was kinda cool but got boring easily
(what's the deal w/those two girls following Trigun?)
-btw, I can't find Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin anymore on TV
-also, what is this show "Lupin the Third" I keep hearing about (on TV)?
-----------------------------
Anyway, I like anime b/c of the story/plots, a few of which seem quite interesting (or "mature" as someone called it)--->but too many anime shows predictable, boring, and childish

Last edited:
I don't like anime, but I like a lot of cartoons like Samurai Jack, Justice Legue, Star Wars: Clone Wars. All my friends like anime, but I think it's rather dumb. I'd only watch it if I was really bored. The only anime I remember liking was Speed Racer when I was like 6.

Anime for the most part, just looks stupid, some look better than others though. But I feel like the Japanese are making fun of me by making characters with HUGE round eyes. Even if the character is Japanese they'll have HUGE blue eyes and red hair or something.

I only seen the animes on AS, G4, or HBO but I've only seen one that wasn't littered with plot holes or plagued with stupid characters making stupid wacky faces (even in the so called "mature" series). That was Blood: The Last Vampire. Although not very deep, it was enjoyable and kept it's integrity.

I don't know what these people are smoking when they come up with this stuff. The main characters are always way too pretty (seriously sometimes I can't tell if someone is a boy or a girl). And they completely fail at making badass heros or villians. Half the heros are skinny, long haired, nancy boys. What ever happen to having real men as the heros, not ones that cry and b****h every second.

the only anime show I liked watching was onlina clled 'naruto' (i think?)

mainly, it was just funny. but I found the story to be good. (now you're questioning if it was anime)

I've seen quite a few anime that I liked. I'm not a huge fan though.
Some of the art is crappy but a lot of it is actually pretty good it's just much more simple in style. In the ones with good yet simple artwork they tend to pay more attention to the mood and the atmosphere effects. Some of the art that they use for backgrounds and the way they show things like water, mist, fog, dust in the air, and quite a few things like that are far better than american animation has ever done.

Dragon Ball is to be read in mangas imo. It is excellent... much less silly than the animations.

I voted 'yes' to the poll because although I have lost all interest in anime now, I have had a great time with it in the past. My favorite series and movies were

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - 98% (I rate everything by the way. I'm a rating maniac.)
2. Saber Marionette J - 97%
3. Serial Experiments Lain - 95%
4. Cowboy Beebop - 94%
5. Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 93%
6-7. Records of Lodoss War - 92%
6-7. Akira - 92%
8. Samurai X - 91%
9-10. Perfect Blue - 89%
9-10. Gundam Wing - 89%

Urgh... Eva rated top?
Eekk, that's the only anime that i don't like. Too depressing and sad, and the atmosphere is always as gloomy as it can... Afer watching the seriesn and the OVA, it makes u think like the end of the world :cry:.
Other then that, the most unbearable part is watching the spineless Shinji ... :grumpy: Ah well. personal opinion anyway :smile:

But since u like eva, i might suggest u watch Iriya no sora, UFO no natsu and Saikano/Saishu Heiki Kanojo.

I loved eva. Got really into it for a little while. There were are a lot of hidden messages and meanings throughout the series, references to poorly known biblical texts and things. There were a lot of really interesting discussions about it to.

Thanks for the tips darkar, I'm going to check those out as well.

Well, to find more related materials, try this website.. http://www.animenfo.com .

Search the anime and browse the related materials.

Hope u like this method ^_^