Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you accepted death yet?

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Here's my definition of 'Accepting Death': To accept death is to be ready to die, free from stress, anguish, or personal emotion. Personal emotion is limited to self inflicted emotion. A counter example to personal emotion would be emotion that one has because of someone else's emotion, i.e. crying because someone else is crying; I'm saying that you can have non-personal emotion even after accepting death.

I'm curious as to who actually has accepted death so far in their life. Please post if you have or not and your current age.

I'm 16, and I have to say that I have for myself. The way I see it, if I die today, one, I wouldn't care once I'm dead anyways because care is an emotion and you need a brain to execute emotion, two, I know that everything I once loved, loves me back, and three, I wouldn't care about the time I wasn't able to spend on earth, because see example one.

Edit: Post your age, and how long you have felt that way, and why.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    No.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    Edit: Post your age, and how long you have felt that way, and why.

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course not: I've not achieved nearly enough in my life!

6. Jul 16, 2008 #5
    I'm 28 and I should say the only reason I answer is because of a personal experience when I was 14 and thought I would die. That was a rational conclusion from the situation I was in. Before I had this experience, I would not have imagined what it feels like. I don't think it can be described, told or shared, you can only feel it. I'll try to describe it anyway since you ask. Of course I experienced intense stress and what comes with it. That lasted several minutes. But you can not just look backward, even if you know you are about to die : I had nothing to do except sit and wait, enjoy my physical pain, and after a while you come to see that the only thing that matters is the others left behind. I was not so much sad for myself as I was for the one I loved. My own mistake, supposedly leading to my death, would fill them with deep sorrow, and I cared more about that than thinking about all the things I would not live. I came to the conclusion that the worst would be I could not say goodbye, because I did not have anything to write.

Luck saved me eventually :smile: And today, we have cell phones ! We can talk about it, and everybody has heard that we need to enjoy every second as if it was the last one. I often think about the air I breath and what would happen if that was not granted anymore. It had little impact on my conceptions until I went through this. My mother went through a similar experience when she was 45. She described the same kind of shift.

7. Jul 16, 2008 #6
    I understand where you're coming from humanino, but I'd have to say that's because of pain, or 'personal emotion', as I stated. Also, I'm not saying that I want to die (heck no!), we only get one life, and it's fun for the most part; I'm certainly not saying that you should live for today, and not for tomorrow either. I am saying though, that if I ran into death, I'd be okay with accepting it.(as far as my definition of accepting death goes).

8. Jul 16, 2008 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

Nope, because I'm still alive! There were times in my life when I thought I was going to die or I'd prefer to die, but even at that times I felt that wasn't true. (It was like things that some people say they're going to do while they're pretty sure that they're not going to do them)

9. Jul 16, 2008 #8
    My post was not against this, but in favor of it. :smile: That probably means you are as rational as I am. I just wanted to point out that the feeling of this shift is difficult to share.
    Depression was not at all what I was subject to. I underwent an accident remotely from any human being and was stuck on the spot in a situation which would involve death in a matter of hours. Only two english tourists happened to come by and found me randomely.

10. Jul 16, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm going to hazard: stranded at sea?

11. Jul 16, 2008 #10
    Nice try :smile:
    It was in the mountains, and I knew my wounds were serious enough.

12. Jul 16, 2008 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, I got it from your post that depression was not your case!:wink: Anyway Glad that you survived and you're here with us now!:smile:

PS : hmmm...I'm not sure if my case's been depression as well becaus I thought I was going to die because of some sickness. Anyway that's different from yours where you were facing death seriously!

13. Jul 16, 2008 #12
    Oh, I misinterpreted your words
    Sorry :redface:

Thanks for your kind words !

14. Jul 16, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with you, humanino. When you were stranded and thinking you were going to die, you came to the conclusion that the only thing that matters is the people in your life. I came to this same conclusion when I was faced with being diagnosed with a terrible disease - luckily tests showed that I didn't have it (whew!). But an experience like that will stop you in your tracks and really teach you something.

I learned that I really, really don't want to die...as Dylan Thomas put it,

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

15. Jul 16, 2008 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Of course. That was my second. Not having anything to write with led me to believe you had no resources nearby. But afterward I realized you mentioned physical pain, which should have clued me in that you were unable to move far.

16. Jul 16, 2008 #15
    This is kind of off-topic but not completely, so I'll mention it to illustrate that I did not accept easily. I made something like 10 m (30 foot, probably I was imagining part of them) in 45 minutes before I decided I was just exhausting myself, plus the pain and additional harm of moving. I was several kilometers away, including sections I could not have crossed in this state. Only after those efforts did I began to accept my situation.

17. Jul 16, 2008 #16
    I'm rather young, and I haven't accepted death. Yet I don't fear death.

To fear death is to limit life, and every day is a good day to die. No day is a good day to throw your life away.

Granted, I've almost died 7 times...but still If i get hit with death, I want no regrets in the times before I die. Live in the moment type of thing I got going on..no risk no rewards..

I figure right before I'm about to die I'll reach a new plane of consciousness and be able to understand more than I've ever dreamed of understanding..Something will just like "click" for the long seconds/minutes before I die.

But maybe It'll end so fast I won't get to experience that... who knows?

Everytime I thought I was going to die, I've had a realization in which I was blind to before it. I solved a problem that was bothering me for the longest time once hahaha...

Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

18. Jul 16, 2008 #17
    Death is a reality few accept. More often than not, people hide behind religious beliefs, and insist they'll live forever. The educated person knows this is nonsense, but fear of death is far too strong for the majority of people. A classic example is the death of someone close. The survivor can sometimes be heard saying that the dead person isn't dead, but is instead “watching over us”. Or when a child is involved, he/she was “needed more in heaven”.

I would say I'm resigned to the fact of death. I'm not so sure I'd want to die right now, but the fact is that when death does come, it is very much out of our hands. In a way, we all die together. Everyone you know of today will be gone in 150 years, as will you. By then society will have long ago forgotten us, and there will be essentially no reason to believe any of us even existed. It's somewhat haunting to think about, but it's a testament to time, and it's relentless ability to carry away whatever it is we embrace.

Richard Dawkins said it well. We are just lucky to be here, as the odds of us being born in the first place were astronomically low. Just try to live a richly as possible during your remaining years.

I truly believe that life is all for nothing, but in a way, that can make it more exciting. It is matter of perspective.

19. Jul 16, 2008 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I know that I can live with the fact that I'm going to die. Does that mean I accept it in the sense that if I were offered a real opportunity NOT to die, I wouldn't be tempted by the offer?

Sure I would be greatly tempted, I only hope I would have the moral integrity to reject it if the path towards immortality required the deaths of others..

Fortunately, though, it doesn't seem to exist such horrible ways to immortality, either..

20. Jul 16, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know I would not accept such an offer. It would mean an eternity spent watching the people in your life die.

21. Jul 16, 2008 #20
    When I was fairly young, about 10, I was caught in a soupy muddy quicksand. I was alone and slowly began to sink. Instantly I recognized the gravity of the situation and began to struggle as much as I could. I fought for several hours screaming my head and slowly sinking all the time. I did everything that I possibly could, even though I realized it was impossible to pull myself out (it was a very thick kind of sink hole made of red clay). There was no relaxing and slowly working my way out, due to the nature of the nasty stuff.

Luckily, I was only a few miles from my house and my dad had decided to come look for me. He had to get a rope and tie it to a tree to pull me out. I had sunk all the way to my chest, and was still sinking.

Not once in that time did I think about any of my family or loved ones. My mind was completely focused on fighting with every once of strength that I had throughout my ordeal. And, now looking back, I think that I attribute my selfish line of thought to my young age, i.e. My mind was running on 'super-overdrive' if you will. Fully focused on survival.

Looking back on this, I came to realize that my life was more important to me than anything. And this had some very good implications.

I will never die willingly. I can know that for sure. However, I do not and will not, ever fear death. I know that once my brain activity has crossed a certain line, my conscious will cease to exist, and nothing will matter any more. You can not fear something that is nothing, there is nothing to be afraid of!

So if you can call that "accepting death" then I guess my answer is: Yes, 18.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?