Have You Accepted Death? Share Your Experience and Age

• Thread starter epkid08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, at the age of 14, I thought I would die and accepted it. I found the experience difficult to share, but I think it's important to understand that even in the worst of situations, a person can still be rational and accept death.
In his defense, "non-existence" is pretty difficult to fathom. If our mind thinks in the spoken language that we've developed to describe existence, it can be really hard to use it to describe nothingness. This is most obvious when talking to people who don't consciously bother with philosophy and also believe in an afterlife. Eventually, I begin hearing questions like "Well wouldn't that suck to just not exist?" and "Doesn't it make you sad to think that you just disappear when you die?" They don't understand that those questions are ludicrous, for reasons I don't need to explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Not existed in this present form" would be more appropriate way to put it since every one of us is 13.8 billion years old. Get over it granpa...:rofl:

Don't get distracted from the core of my argument, the key point I'm trying to make is just because you can't personally imagine something doesn't effect the reality of the situation.

lubuntu said:
just because you can't personally imagine something doesn't effect the reality of the situation.

If you imagine death to be a horrible, horrible experience... it will be.

If I tell you the ice you're about to put your hand in is actually hot coals, it will feel like hot coals because you imagined .. or "imaged" it as hot coals.

When you felt the ice your imagination was ahead of your senses telling you "this is hot coals", and your hand felt like it had been burnt.

Never say die.

What are you talking about? You seem to believe in some sort of metaphysical existence, my point is the universe doesn't care what you can imagine, you are going to probably cease to exist. Death isn't a state of experience, you can't imagine yourself out of it, I'm sorry.

lubuntu said:
Death isn't a state of experience, you can't imagine yourself out of it, I'm sorry.

Death is the act of dying. You're talking about after-death. Slightly different "experiences".

I still don't see your point, your logic isn't obvious.

I never made any conjecture about the "act of dying", it can be painful or it can be not, obviously it depends on the circumstances. That person was making claims that he believed he would survive his own death.

Last edited:
lubuntu said:
I still don't see your point, your logic isn't obvious.

I never made any conjecture about the "act of dying", it can be painful or it can be not, obviously it depends on the circumstances. That person was making claims that he believed he would survive his own death.

I see.

In any event... one can never "accept death" until death takes place. I, for one, am not waiting for it. Its simply part of life and that's the end of it... so to speak. :wink:

epkid08 said:
Here's my definition of 'Accepting Death': To accept death is to be ready to die, free from stress, anguish, or personal emotion. Personal emotion is limited to self inflicted emotion. A counter example to personal emotion would be emotion that one has because of someone else's emotion, i.e. crying because someone else is crying; I'm saying that you can have non-personal emotion even after accepting death.

I'm curious as to who actually has accepted death so far in their life. Please post if you have or not and your current age.

I'm 16, and I have to say that I have for myself. The way I see it, if I die today, one, I wouldn't care once I'm dead anyways because care is an emotion and you need a brain to execute emotion, two, I know that everything I once loved, loves me back, and three, I wouldn't care about the time I wasn't able to spend on earth, because see example one.

Edit: Post your age, and how long you have felt that way, and why.

Your definition borders on suicide, something your age suggests as well. Your criteria for "ready to die" implies death is available to anyone who has settled their debt in life, and they should just wait to accept it. Where is life for the sake of living? According to your criteria, no I have not accepted death. I fear it and know it is inevitable, but I would rather be living even for no purpose in mind. I'm 21.

Yes, possibly you would not care that you were dead when you were dead, I think that applies to everyone (assuming there is no afterlife). But you can't project your feelings in that state. Right now you are capable of emotion as your brain is presumably working. At your current state you profess to not minding death and use a future state as a rationalization. By your logic, you should have no fear of anything because you can use adaptation as an excuse.

[i only read the first post, this has likely already been put out there]

DaveC426913 said:
Quiet you. You're not fooling anyone you know. *thunk*

*thunk* Do you mean "dead right there" or drt for short?

Gokul43201 said:
A description by a neuroscientist of a near-death experience:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Make of it what you will.

It's really weird, I've kind of thought about the same ideas. I am 19 and I have accepted the fact that I will "die" but I'm going to live it out as long as I can even though I don't really like life that much. I have decided that I live for the soul purpose of creating art and doing other things to help people with problems and to help resolve problems. Also to "wake people up" to truth.

I'm 22 and I've accepted death :)

I accepted it from 15, as I realized I cannot stop myself from dying. Before 15 I didn't really think about it.

My genes have done a good job in stopping me from committing suicide :D
Otherwise I'd happily die tomorrow.

Maybe it sounds pessimistic, but I am happy, just that I have accepted death.

Jacob Perry said:
Also to "wake people up" to truth.
Careful with that "truth" thing. You wouldn't be the first teenager who knew everything and whose duty it was to share it.

That which was never born can never die...
Water wets it not...
Fire burns it not...
Wind blows it not away
(The Upanishads)

"Matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed..."

Hence, death is not a part of my reality. Transformation however is...

When I thought I was going to die I didn't have much problem accepting the idea. I remember thinking how funny it would be when they found me on the toilet. I remember thinking that I shouldn't think like that. Then I laughed at that thought. I just wanted to stop the anxiety. Death would have been preferable at that moment. Then I got better and didn't accept it anymore.

I'll worry about death when it finds me. I don't think it will be too difficult to accept at that moment.