Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you discussed Able Danger?

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Have you discussed "Able Danger?"

This slipped under my radar - I heard mention of it yesterday on NPR, and it sounds like a mess.

WASHINGTON — The Senate Judiciary Committee chairman said Wednesday that he would look into whether the Pentagon obstructed his committee by refusing to allow testimony from five persons.

They had been expected to testify Wednesday about a link between al-Qaida and four of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers — including leader Mohamed Atta — that a secret military unit named “Able Danger” is said to have uncovered more than a year before the 2001 attacks.

“I think the Department of Defense owes the American people an explanation of what went on here,” said Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican.

Here is a link to a bunch of headlines for your perusal.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=able+danger

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What do you know, you were listening to the same NPR program I was listening to.

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4
    The general topic has been discussed ever since 9-11. Here is a CBS report dated May 17, 2002, for example.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/16/attack/main509294.shtml

However, actually blocking critical information...this is done with full knowledge of possible consequences. A serious matter that will be quietly forgotten like everything else these days.

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Danger

Troubling indeed. You have a Republican, Rep. Curt Weldon (R-PA) requesting the investigation, "Able Danger" Team members in the military Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer and Navy Captain Scott Philpott, as well as J.D. Smith, a civilian contractor who worked on Able Danger, along with 3-4 other "credible" witnesses confirming Weldon's claims, AND you have "Fox News pundit Bill O'Reilly and others" who "have asserted that the Able Danger intelligence was suppressed as a result of 'the wall.''

These are unlikely sources for criticism of our government, unless it took the heat off of Bush and placed it on the 9-11 Commission and/or policies under earlier administrations such as...Clinton's? But if that were the case than why this?

If it's not sinister, it is fishy.

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6
    Air America was talking about Able Danger like 2 months ago...

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7
    I meant that I had heard of some of this stuff - but when five key people (out of six) were ordered by the Pentagon not to testify on Wednesday - this bumped the story up in my mind from something in the ballpark of "mess" (almost forgiveable, certainly human) to something in the ballpark of "coverup" (criminal.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?