Have you ever failed so badly?

• Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date
In summary: I kept failing in biology in 12th standard throughout the term including all the tests, midterm and mock board exam. I hated that subject. I hate memorizing. Professors encouraged us more and more to mug things up without understanding because they thought "we don't have much time and exams are coming". Of course we didn't have time because of so many bullshit tests. I did extremely good in Math, Physics and English but bio was a nightmare! I wasn't confident about the final exam but I had no choice. I can't believe I mugged up a lot of things and scored 66/100 in the final exam. I was so relieved!After that, thankfully I've never had to mug things up
Docscientist
If yes,How did you handle that failure ? Did you cry ? Were you angry ? Did you do something to compensate with it ? How did you deal with it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
If yes,How did you handle that failure ? Did you cry ? Were you angry ? Did you do something to compensate with it ? How did you deal with it ?
I kept failing in biology in 12th standard throughout the term including all the tests, midterm and mock board exam. I hated that subject. I hate memorizing. Professors encouraged us more and more to mug things up without understanding because they thought "we don't have much time and exams are coming". Of course we didn't have time because of so many bullshit tests. I did extremely good in Math, Physics and English but bio was a nightmare! I wasn't confident about the final exam but I had no choice. I can't believe I mugged up a lot of things and scored 66/100 in the final exam. I was so relieved! After that, thankfully I've never had to mug things up like that. But those failures made me realize that you can't expect everything in your own way. You have to do some things that you really hate but are really important. One of my zoology professors was very kind and his guidance really helped me get out of my bio-phobia. Thankfully, engineering has been really amazing so far.

Last edited:
Likes deskswirl, down to earth and Docscientist
cnh1995 said:
I kept failing in biology in 12th standard throughout the term including all the tests, midterm and mock board exam. I hated that subject. I hate memorizing.
Well,I've got to go through what you went through for the next two years except for the fact that I hate math.My failures have always been due to math.I'd work so hard but when I fail,It would put in distress.So I adopted this new strategy of working smart.It's working quite a bit.
As far as biology,I don't think it is totally about mugging up.In fact the process of understanding it is very difficult that people give up to mugging up.Did you study in CBSE schools or the state board or matriculation ones ? I think only state board schools encourage mugging up of biology as far as I know.

Docscientist said:
I think only state board schools encourage mugging up of biology as far as I know.
I was in state board, yes. Almost everyone in our class hated bio but we had some excellent professors for maths and physics.

Is this about school or failing in life or professionally? In some professions failure is not only an option, but sometimes you can do everything right and still fail: doctor, lawyer, engineer. You learn to just brush it off. I've spent weeks building pieces of software that just didn't work the way I thought it would and had to do the whole thing over. I usually just give myself a break: watch some tv, had a beer and get some sleep. I usually try to give myself an easy puzzle to make myself feel better.

00965986105ddadddd5b7593b98db790.jpg

Likes Merlin3189, deskswirl, down to earth and 6 others
Docscientist said:
I have failed MANY TIMES and am proud to tell you that I will probably be failing more in the future. So admitting your mistakes or bad commitments then forgiving yourself would help release your stress in the first place. How after many ups and downs, I have had more chances to learn to acquire new skills to polish my old ones in cleaning up my own messes and others to control myself better. No failure made would up one's self-esteem and create more competitiveness as well as conflicts within one's own surroundings, and then certainly come more physical and mental sufferings.

newjerseyrunner said:
... I've spent weeks building pieces of software that just didn't work the way I thought it would and had to do the whole thing over...
:smile: Been there done that! I almost always run into the same situation with my current project. It is tiring yet fun filled tasks to enjoy myself though.

"The bigger they are the harder they fall" describes ego.
Take failure as a needed tuneup of one's humility factor.

The Creator had his chance to make me infallible but to my considerable frustration He chose otherwise.

I learned the best way to handle a mistake is to promptly admit it, make any needed repairs or personal amends, then dig into the basic science of what i missed that allowed it.

That's why they call it "The School of Hard Knocks" ,
and that's my only advanced degree.

Likes gjonesy, deskswirl, Evo and 2 others
Docscientist said:

Everyone has, Eddie Van Halen didn't come out of the womb a guitar genius, Albert Einstein wasn't born knowing Special relativity. Trial and error is how we develop any talents we have. Babies crawl until they walk. you can look at failure one of 2 ways. 1. As a lack of ability and therefore a (failure) 2. A temporary lack of skill and an ultimate (attempt at success)

I have had my share of attempts at success, in many different areas. If it was something I was truly interested in, I kept trying until success was achieved. Everything else I simply consider a learning experience. A man is only truly beaten when he admits and excepts defeat.

Likes deskswirl, Evo, DennisN and 1 other person
Failures are excellent learning opportunities... :wink:

Likes deskswirl, Evo, OmCheeto and 2 others
DennisN said:
Failures are excellent learning opportunities... :wink:
Learning from a mistake = f( pain involved)

Likes gjonesy, deskswirl, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
Movie quote:

"Failure is the fog through which we glimpse triumph"

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison.

A PhD is an exercise in repeated failure until desperation drives to you try something you'd never normally do - and then you end up finding what works.

Likes gjonesy
dipole said:
A PhD is an exercise in repeated failure until desperation drives to you try something you'd never normally do - and then you end up finding what works.

I don't know much about advanced degrees
but that describes maintenance... and i suspect , most creative undertakings .
“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.”
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

old jim

Likes gjonesy
Whenever I feel defeated, I just turn on my ultra-cool smartphone and play a Led Zeppelin song on youtube.

Cried and got angry. Watch the simpsons at 6pm Reruns. Made me think life isn't so bad afterall. Some people in Life have it a lot worst.
I see youngsters today having no or little direction. It must feel bad. I once was in their shoes. Some of them are autistic, and or bipolar with or/wo children. I think what have I become. America's youth are on prescribed meds and or illegal meds. Which is scary. I know I am generalizing, but that is why some of them are un-hire-able. And they wonder why I do not hire them. They get jealous and angry. Throw rocks at me. Destroy my property. etc etc. Robots are coming. Driverless cars. Drones that deliver your mail/packages. Robots that will give you your meds. 50% of jobs in 2020 will be gig jobs. Scary. But maybe that is the way it is.

1. What does it mean to fail badly?

Failing badly means experiencing a significant and often negative outcome in a particular task, project, or goal. It can also refer to a complete lack of success or achievement in a certain area.

2. Can failure be a good thing?

Yes, failure can be a valuable learning experience. It can provide important lessons and insights that can lead to future success. Failure can also build resilience and determination.

3. How do you handle failure in a scientific experiment?

When a scientific experiment fails, it is important to analyze and understand the reasons for the failure. This can involve reviewing methods and procedures, identifying potential errors, and making necessary adjustments for future experiments.

4. Is failing a common occurrence in the scientific community?

Yes, failure is a normal and expected part of the scientific process. In fact, many scientific breakthroughs have come from failed experiments or hypotheses. The scientific community values the importance of learning from failure.

5. How can failure lead to success in scientific research?

Failure can lead to success in scientific research by providing valuable data and insights that can guide future experiments and lead to new discoveries. It also encourages scientists to think creatively and approach problems from different angles.