Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have You Ever

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    Have you ever studied from a subject, realized that you were lacking in some prerequisites, then started reading up on the prerequisites, and then realized that you have become more interested in the prerequisite subject(s) than the original subject?

I have. Years ago, I was very interested in general relativity, but realized I needed to learn more differential geometry to study it. So I started reading differential geometry, and then fell in love with differential geometry. Now my main interests are differential geometry and differential topology, and I don't think about general relativity as much as I used to. Also, a long time ago I was studying topology, but I realized I needed to study more set theory. Then I became very interested in set theory (though I still like topology very much now).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2
    It's inevitable in any self-studier's life.

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's like me trying to look up a word in a dictionary- often to ever get to it because I start looking at definitions of other words along the way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?