Exploring Prerequisites: How to Find a New Passion

In summary, it is common for self-studiers to encounter a situation where they realize they lack certain prerequisites for a subject. In such cases, they may start studying those prerequisites and end up becoming more interested in them than the original subject. This is similar to getting sidetracked while looking up a word in the dictionary and ending up reading definitions for other words along the way.
andytoh
Have you ever studied from a subject, realized that you were lacking in some prerequisites, then started reading up on the prerequisites, and then realized that you have become more interested in the prerequisite subject(s) than the original subject?

I have. Years ago, I was very interested in general relativity, but realized I needed to learn more differential geometry to study it. So I started reading differential geometry, and then fell in love with differential geometry. Now my main interests are differential geometry and differential topology, and I don't think about general relativity as much as I used to. Also, a long time ago I was studying topology, but I realized I needed to study more set theory. Then I became very interested in set theory (though I still like topology very much now).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's inevitable in any self-studier's life.

That's like me trying to look up a word in a dictionary- often to ever get to it because I start looking at definitions of other words along the way!

1. What are some ways to discover a new passion?

There are several ways to discover a new passion, including trying new activities, taking classes or workshops, talking to friends and family about their interests, and exploring online resources and communities.

2. How can I narrow down my interests to find a new passion?

Start by making a list of your current interests and hobbies. Then, prioritize which ones you enjoy the most and try to find common themes or connections between them. This can help you narrow down your interests and discover a new passion.

3. What if I don't have the time or resources to explore new activities?

Even if you have limited time or resources, there are still ways to explore new activities and find a new passion. You can start by setting aside a small amount of time each week to try something new, or look for free or low-cost classes and workshops in your community.

4. How do I know if a new passion will stick or if it's just a passing interest?

It's normal for interests to change and evolve over time, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to find a lifelong passion. Instead, focus on exploring new activities and see which ones bring you the most joy and fulfillment. If it feels like a passing interest, that's okay - you can always continue to try new things.

5. Can I have more than one passion?

Absolutely! It's common for people to have multiple passions and interests. In fact, having a variety of passions can bring more balance and fulfillment to your life. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to just one passion - embrace all the things that bring you joy and fulfillment.