Is Cr2Cl3 a real compound?

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
In summary, Cr2Cl3, or chromium(III) chloride, is a chemical compound used in the production of other chemicals such as dyes and pigments. It is primarily used as a catalyst in organic chemical reactions and has applications in various industries including textile dyeing, production of pigments, and glass. While it can be toxic in large amounts, it is not considered a major health hazard when used with proper safety precautions. It can be purchased from chemical suppliers or online, but proper handling and disposal methods should be followed to prevent hazards.
Panthera Leo
Have you heard of Cr2Cl3 ?

Does Cr2Cl3 molecule exist?

I have heard of CrCl3 but not Cr2Cl3 & can't find it on google !

Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org

As I'm not in lab, I can't (easily, at least) check CAS, but Webelements doesn't seem to have anything that matches -

http://www.webelements.com/chromium/compounds.html

There's CrCl2, CrCl3, and CrCl4, but no Cr2Cl3 listed, and it's not something which rings a bell in my memory. I'm not an inorganic chemist, though, so my memory on this point may not be the best.

1. What is Cr2Cl3?

Cr2Cl3, also known as chromium(III) chloride, is a chemical compound composed of two chromium atoms and three chlorine atoms. It is a dark green solid at room temperature and is commonly used in the production of other chemicals, such as dyes and pigments.

2. How is Cr2Cl3 used?

Cr2Cl3 is primarily used as a catalyst in organic chemical reactions. It is also used as a mordant in textile dyeing, and as a precursor in the production of chromium metal. In addition, it has applications in the production of pigments, glass, and ceramics.

3. Is Cr2Cl3 toxic?

Cr2Cl3 is considered to be toxic if ingested or inhaled in large amounts. It can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. However, it is not considered to be a major health hazard in small amounts and is commonly used in various industries with proper safety precautions.

4. Where can I find Cr2Cl3?

Cr2Cl3 can be purchased from chemical suppliers or online. It is also used in various consumer products, such as paints and pigments. However, it is important to handle and use this chemical with caution, following all safety guidelines and regulations.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with Cr2Cl3?

While Cr2Cl3 itself is not considered to be a major hazard, it can react with other chemicals to produce toxic or flammable compounds. It is important to handle and store it properly, following all safety precautions and guidelines. In addition, proper disposal methods should be followed to prevent environmental contamination.