Hypergeometric Functions Identities: n_F_n & (n+1)_F_n

In summary, the conversation discusses the identities and proofs for theorem 4.2 and 4.3, with one party asking for clarification on the validity of the proof and the other party mentioning that the identities are already known and can be found on a specific website. The conversation also briefly mentions a typo in the proof and the use of attachments for convenience.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Two multiple integral identities for n_F_n and (n+1)_F_n from my paper (unpublished) I'm curious if they are new as I've never seen them before but I'm not well read on p_F_q so I'm hoping one of you can give me a reference
See attachment for identities and proofs, if you find my proofs are incorrect in some way please post it. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• DirichletIntsPaper-pFq page.pdf
    330.5 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
If I read your notes correctly, theorem 4.2 is
##
_{n+1} F_n\left(\begin{array}\\ a_1, \ldots, a_{n+1} \\ b_1, \ldots, b_n \end{array}; z \right) = \Xi_n
##
and the proof of theorem 4.3 says
##
\Xi_n = _n F_n\left(\begin{array}\\ a_1, \ldots, a_n \\ b_1, \ldots, b_n \end{array}; z \right)
##
I don't see how that can possibly be true, since it would mean the value of ##a_{n+1}## in ##_{n+1}F_n## is irrelevant. I didn't attempt to work through the math, so I don't know if I just misunderstood something, or there was a typo or what.

jason

jasonRF said:
If I read your notes correctly, theorem 4.2 is
##
_{n+1} F_n\left(\begin{array}\\ a_1, \ldots, a_{n+1} \\ b_1, \ldots, b_n \end{array}; z \right) = \Xi_n
##
and the proof of theorem 4.3 says
##
\Xi_n = _n F_n\left(\begin{array}\\ a_1, \ldots, a_n \\ b_1, \ldots, b_n \end{array}; z \right)
##
I don't see how that can possibly be true, since it would mean the value of ##a_{n+1}## in ##_{n+1}F_n## is irrelevant. I didn't attempt to work through the math, so I don't know if I just misunderstood something, or there was a typo or what.

jason
One of your ##\Xi_n 's## is an ##\Omega_n## in the proof I posted. You probably read that wrong, but thanks for somebody finally posting on this, it's sad to compare the views of the post to the views of the PDF imho. Ouchy, an extra click or three... Thank you for taking the time to open the attachment.

Haborix said:
They are known. See here.
I submitted to that site the PDF in the OP and several days later that page appeared. Not going to speculate, maybe they saw my PDF and were like "oh, yeah those identities... let's add them." The second of those was a generalized version of what I had, but I didn't know it before reading that page. This is the email.

The site says they were added in 2001, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Haborix said:
The site says they were added in 2001, so I'm not sure what's going on.
IDK either, maybe they were there already and I missed them, to be honest I wasn't that hopeful.

benorin said:
One of your ##\Xi_n 's## is an ##\Omega_n## in the proof I posted. You probably read that wrong, but thanks for somebody finally posting on this, it's sad to compare the views of the post to the views of the PDF imho. Ouchy, an extra click or three... Thank you for taking the time to open the attachment.
Well, in your proof of 4.3 you state that ##\Xi_n## is the RHS of theorem 4.2. So I guess you define both ##\Omega_n## and ##\Xi_n## as the RHS of theorem 2. Seems like a typo.

anyway, I usually do not click on PDFs, either. They can contain malware/viruses, or they indicate something that is too long for the OP to type - either because it is a long question that will take tons of time to read and answer, or because the OP doesn’t care enough to bother typing the question themselves.

yes there was a typo in the proof of thm. 4.3 where it reads thm. 4.2 should be thm. 4.3. By the way, I already typed it up using MathType and MS Word and you know how much a headache typing up tex with so many indices and nested operands and stuff, I just printed to PDF and post as an attachment saved me an hour and a half of typing and reformatting that way, I hadn't considered people weren't opening it because of potential malware, thanks for the tip.

1. What are hypergeometric functions identities?

Hypergeometric functions identities are mathematical expressions that relate different hypergeometric functions to each other. These identities are useful in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems involving hypergeometric functions.

2. What is n_F_n in hypergeometric functions identities?

n_F_n is a hypergeometric function identity that relates two hypergeometric functions, one with n as the upper parameter and the other with n as the lower parameter. It can be written as n_F_n = (n+1)_F_n.

3. How are hypergeometric functions identities useful in mathematics?

Hypergeometric functions identities are useful in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems involving hypergeometric functions. They also help in proving other mathematical identities and theorems.

4. Are there any real-world applications of hypergeometric functions identities?

Yes, hypergeometric functions identities have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used in solving problems related to probability, differential equations, and series expansions.

5. Can hypergeometric functions identities be derived?

Yes, hypergeometric functions identities can be derived using various mathematical techniques such as series expansions, transformations, and recurrence relations. These derivations can help in understanding the relationships between different hypergeometric functions.