Have you tried hypnotism/does it work?

• Thread starter ninar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: It may not seem like these thing will happen to you but its quit possible. I have a friend who is quite intelligent a grad student. He is an alcoholic. He has cheated on multiple girlfriends while drunk. He has injured himself in many various fashions and has several permanent scars. He has set his hair on fire and laughed about it. He was kicked out of grad student housing for making too much noise, doing too much damage to the unit, pissing off all of his roomies, and having the police called on him too many times. And these are all things that happened when he still mostly had control of the
ninar
Have you tried hypnotism/does it work?

I need so badly for it to work for me... I have developed a really really bad habit of....... drunkdialing. And drunkSMSing. Otherwise, drunkE-MAILING, drunkAIMing, whatever is available. Even drunkthrowingeggsathalloween, if it counts? I just, I can't help it, it happens when I am already in another world.

Last week I woke up with my friend giving me a horrible side eye and pointing to her cellphone. I even sent an SMS after she told me I could NEITHER calls, nor messages because she had no air time. I sent it to MY OWN HOME. Not celphone, home. And it was from a premade draft.

Obviously, my intention is to contact *certain* guy. But its become pathological, and its out of control. Point is: hypnotism, does it work? Can I AT LEAST forget that number? Or maybe just forget that bad habit?

Btw last week I went to see a stage hypnosis show :P it was hilarious...

Physics news on Phys.org

Quit drinking and take a walk in a park.

Looks like you're drunkposting.

If you have a drinking problem, see a substance abuse counsellor. Hypnosis does not work if your expectation is that you walk in and someone waves a magic wand. It does work if you use it to reinforce heavy lifting you're already prepared to put in. Stage hypnosis is different from clinical hypnosis.

But you need a counsellor for alcohol abuse.

I have made such a big conscious effort to stop doing this. But it is just not enough, I wonder if anybody has had any experience... at least as an aid with an issue to work on... like cigarettes, stress?

I guess in general you can't expect to have much control under the brain-toasting effects of alcohol, but I mean, poor guy! The only way he is safe is changing his number... or email, fbook account, etc. :(

I suggest that you get psychiatric counseling in addition to getting treatment for alcoholism.

The behavior you describe is not normal or healthy and it's nothing to joke about. Seek professional help now.

Last edited:

marianiiina said:
I have made such a big conscious effort to stop doing this. But it is just not enough, I wonder if anybody has had any experience... at least as an aid with an issue to work on... like cigarettes, stress?

I guess in general you can't expect to have much control under the brain-toasting effects of alcohol, but I mean, poor guy! The only way he is safe is changing his number... or email, fbook account, etc. :(
Stop drinking alcohol.

Evo said:
I suggest that you get psychiatric counseling in addition to getting treatment for alcoholism.

The behavior you describe is not normal or healthy and it's nothing to joke about. Seek professional help now.

It may be part of my alcoholism but... I don't see it as a serious? Hasnt anybody had this experiences of wanting to text somebody after a few drinks?

marianiiina said:
It may be part of my alcoholism but... I don't see it as a serious? Hasnt anybody had this experiences of wanting to text somebody after a few drinks?
When it's a repetitive problem that you can't control, then you have a problem. Seeking counseling can hopefully help you stop this self destructive behavior. Definitely seek help with your drinking.

If you are unable to control yourself while you are intoxicated then you should stop drinking. That will pretty much fix your problem. Even if you are not to the point of being a severe alcoholic considering the issue you are describing it seems most likely that you will become one. And while harassing some poor boy may seem silly and laughable imagine waking up to find that you just had unprotected sex with someone you don't know because you couldn't control yourself while you were drinking.

It may not seem like these thing will happen to you but its quit possible. I have a friend who is quite intelligent a grad student. He is an alcoholic. He has cheated on multiple girlfriends while drunk. He has injured himself in many various fashions and has several permanent scars. He has set his hair on fire and laughed about it. He was kicked out of grad student housing for making too much noise, doing too much damage to the unit, pissing off all of his roomies, and having the police called on him too many times. And these are all things that happened when he still mostly had control of the issue. Currently he has a tendency to black out and wake up at bus stops and in parks not knowing what happened over the previous few days. This is a guy that you would think is a boring straight laced geek if you were to met him sober. It all started out with him occasionally doing stupid things while drunk because he couldn't control himself.

So take the issue seriously. If you are not a religious person I would suggest asking around about a program that caters to the nonreligious because AA will probably drive you nuts and you won't get anything out of it.

The Higher Power works for me. So did a week of vomiting, and meeting the Devil. Finding the right medication for me helped too. Hanging out with a new, sober crowd. Not the least, a world-class counselor. My long time friend who first turned me on to pot had recently committed suicide. Realize your social/asocial drug rituals.

You may be self-medicating an underlying psychiatric condition. Getting drunk to forget the irony that you're an active alcoholic? When sober, look back critically on your life. Any childhood abuse needs to be addressed by a professional. Examine your ethics. What is your purpose in life? You matter!

Hypnotism is just part of a treatment for those willing to change and for whom it works in the first place. You will probably have to stop completely and for good all unprescribed psychoactive substances. It may be the best thing you've ever done.

Loren Booda said:
The Higher Power works for me. So did a week of vomiting, and meeting the Devil. Finding the right medication for me helped too. Hanging out with a new, sober crowd. Not the least, a world-class counselor. My long time friend who first turned me on to pot had recently committed suicide. Realize your social/asocial drug rituals.

You may be self-medicating an underlying psychiatric condition. Getting drunk to forget the irony that you're an active alcoholic? When sober, look back critically on your life. Any childhood abuse needs to be addressed by a professional. Examine your ethics. What is your purpose in life? You matter!

Hypnotism is just part of a treatment for those willing to change and for whom it works in the first place. You will probably have to stop completely and for good all unprescribed psychoactive substances. It may be the best thing you've ever done.

I just want to say thanks to all your responses. Honestly, I never thought this would reveal I kinda may be an alcoholic. At first I thought it was just a very deep, concerning response to the situation with that guy... I just thought "no way, how can I ever control this if it lies in my sub-conscious?"

I all my sincerity, I was considering going to a hypnotist as an alternative approach, since I think therapy would be too "deep" for just wanting to forget a guys number/not call him. But yeah. I am just so used to be adviced to "drink it off".

"Drink it off" isn't a constructive response to anything. You're getting some really strong, first-hand, personal advice from some very intelligent, caring people here who know what they're talking about. Honest and for true, I'd take to heart what they're saying.

My roommate has a very bad habit of drunk texting/phoning when he is really drunk. My friends and I have hidden his phone on a few occasions and cut him off when it gets out of hand. This last time he had a sober moment when he realized that he was not behaving in a way that he wanted. He told me that he never wants to be thought of as "that guy" at a party or get together. He is not an alchoholic, but he has tendency to binge a bit to heavily given the right (or wrong) cercumstances.

I think that he has matured a little lately in his realization that what he was doing was something that he didn't want to define his life.

I myself drunk tested a few times a couple years ago and the last time that I did it I kind of "spilled to beans" to a girl I had known for several years. Needless to say, I set myself up for failure right from the start. The next day I felt so pathetic that I swore off the practice altogether. I didn't talk to the girl for nearly a year as a result and that is yet another regret that I am stuck with today.

I think the fact that you are reflecting on this while sober is a good first step, but I think that you enjoy drinking and will try to avoid the real source of the problem.

I think you know what steps you will have to take to fix this, but are you willing to take them?

A have 2 questions that will reveal if you are an alcoholic or not.

1. Do you drink every night/day of the week?
2. Do you feel the need to drink in the mornings?

If the answer is no to both of those then you aren't an alcoholic, merely an annoying bastard when drunk (which is a common side effect).

EDIT:

Actually I'm confused. You made 2 conflicting statements.
Honestly, I never thought this would reveal I kinda may be an alcoholic.
may indicates you are unsure if you are.
It may be part of my alcoholism but...
is more definate.

Have you been diagnosed as having alcohol dependancy?Your behaviour sounds remarkably typical of a student after a night on the beer, I know I spent 5 years doing precisely that. Many Americans would consider a typical UK student's drinking habits to constitute alcoholism.

Last edited:

xxChrisxx said:
A have 2 questions that will reveal if you are an alcoholic or not.

1. Do you drink every night/day of the week?
2. Do you feel the need to drink in the mornings?

If the answer is no to both of those then you aren't an alcoholic, merely an annoying bastard when drunk (which is a common side effect).

I think that might define someone that is a alcoholic (i.e. goes to meetings), but it would not necessarily identify someone who has a problem drinking or is a problem drinker. Some people are more susceptible to the effects of alcohol. I think she would fall into that category. She enjoys drinking, but when she drinks to much she does things that she regrets. She needs to practice not drinking as much.

There are people who shouldn't drink, then there are those who are alcoholics. I edited my post above after rereading the thread.

It's just that it does sound like typical drinking hijinks. My speciality used to be liberating road furniture, then attempitng to remember where I got it the next day to go and put it back.

It's only realyl a problem if s/he knows s/he wants to stop, but can't. If that's the case then its deffo alcohol dependency and he should see the doc about it.

xxChrisxx said:

EDIT:

Actually I'm confused. You made 2 conflicting statements.

may indicates you are unsure if you are.

is more definate.

Have you been diagnosed as having alcohol dependancy?

Your behaviour sounds remarkably typical of a student after a night on the beer, I know I spent 5 years doing precisely that. Many Americans would consider a typical UK student's drinking habits to constitute alcoholism.

When I said "it may be part of my alcoholism but...", I thought about this possibility only after I read the posts in this thread.

Obviously, drunktexting is pathetic. This is the first time I do this kind of things; to be fair, only after cerain event, and only towards a particular person. I think the probability of me doing that again dropped a lot within these days and even more in the next...

It's only realyl a problem if s/he knows s/he wants to stop, but can't. If that's the case then its deffo alcohol dependency and he should see the doc about it.

I think you mean both not be able to stop drinking and/or stop texting? I do drink a lot... but I don't have to...

I mean if you have to drink, that's a problem. If you don;'t then you arent an alcoholic.

The texting thing is juvenile, but ultimetely harmless. Stopping or reducing drinking will eliminate the texting problem.
btw are you a student?

xxChrisxx said:
I mean if you have to drink, that's a problem. If you don;'t then you arent an alcoholic.

The texting thing is juvenile, but ultimetely harmless. Stopping or reducing drinking will eliminate the texting problem.
btw are you a student?

I haven't drinked these days, probably because I am at my parents house... today I had the option to go back to the city where I go to college this weekend, but rather did not because my gf broke up with her bf... and I predict heavy drinking involved. Its sad how I fit into the category of 'that dumb age' :frown:

xxChrisxx said:

btw are you a student?

I do not necessarily agree with the definition but generally a person is considered an alcoholic whether they drink or not. Those in AA refer to themselves as alcoholics even after years of sobriety. Any person who can not control themselves while drinking is probably an alcoholic or, if you object to such a definition, are likely to become an alcoholic.

So if you have a drink and automatically want another and another until you are wasted you have an issue with drinking, call it alcoholism or not, and if the lack of self control spills over into other activities it only hints more strongly at an issue.

Not being able to control one's self while drinking is not normal. People use that excuse a lot and it is usually BS. It lessens inhibitions and people may tend to be less inhibited in their decision making processes but that does not mean that they have no control. Perhaps Marian didn't use the right word for what he meant but if anyone truly feels that they have no control while intoxicated that is a problem and they should not believe it is normal.

As an aside, I recently read a first-hand account from a relative of a person charged with a felony for harassing another through texting.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I do not necessarily agree with the definition but generally a person is considered an alcoholic whether they drink or not. Those in AA refer to themselves as alcoholics even after years of sobriety. Any person who can not control themselves while drinking is probably an alcoholic or, if you object to such a definition, are likely to become an alcoholic.
I've been looking round the dictionary and it seems there are conflicting definitions of alcoholism.

I've classed alcohol dependency as alcoholism, but alcohol abuse (and the subequent after effects) as something seperate.
Some include both, other its just the addiction part.
In the end it doesn't matter, definitons aside, I think we are basically in agreement; drinking should be a fun leisure social pursuit. If it's a problem in any way for the OP, he should stop. Simple. Also OP drinking when depressed or upset is a slipperly slope to go down.

Once in my life I was going through a very terrible depression (non clinical), I saw a newspaper ad about hypnotism. It said hypnotism helps to alleviate your extreme sadness. I attended a 1 day session.

Till the lunch break, I was getting an uncomfortable feeling that my heart beat keeps increasing on every hypnotic session. I assumed everyone else must be feeling the same. I told about this to some of the co-attendants in the lunch break, but they said they did not feel anything unusual.

In the afternoon, in one of the hypnotic sessions, I went really out of control. Usually at the end of the session, the master counts upto three, and ask everyone to open their eyes. In my case, I could not open the eyes. I was fully conscious, but all my muscles were so tight. My heart was beating like I just finished a marathon. I was holding a glass and I almost crushed it, just with one hand. The master and the whole classroom gathered around me, without a clue what to do. It lasted almost 5 minutes and then I came back to normal. I was asked not to do hypnotism and asked me to take rest till end of the day.

I read about a situation called hypnotic coma and it's a pretty dangerous thing. I think that's what happened to me. For most of the people, it should be fine. I was extremely sad those years, and I really wanted something or someone helps me to come out of it.

jobyts said:
In the afternoon, in one of the hypnotic sessions, I went really out of control. [snip] I was holding a glass and I almost crushed it, just with one hand.

How does one "almost" crush a glass?

GeorginaS said:
How does one "almost" crush a glass?

:biggrin: I tried the whole weekend to almost crush a glass (to cause just some crack marks, without breaking it). Apparently I can't do it anymore. Every glass I tried, I just shattered those into pieces...

The alchohol abuse thing definitely has a cultural slant - I tend to agree with xxChrisxx as I'm from the U.K - drinking to much and doing stupid stuff is pretty typical here when you are young. I think most of Northern Europe is similar. I think it would be very easy for a young person who has been rejected and is behaving a little pathetically when drunk to get the erroneous idea that they have some sort of serious mental/substance abuse issue. Before you know it they'll be 40 and will have spent half a million dollars on treatment for something in reality needed the person just to leave off the booze for a bit until they get over it.

daveg360 said:
The alchohol abuse thing definitely has a cultural slant - I tend to agree with xxChrisxx as I'm from the U.K - drinking to much and doing stupid stuff is pretty typical here when you are young. I think most of Northern Europe is similar. I think it would be very easy for a young person who has been rejected and is behaving a little pathetically when drunk to get the erroneous idea that they have some sort of serious mental/substance abuse issue. Before you know it they'll be 40 and will have spent half a million dollars on treatment for something in reality needed the person just to leave off the booze for a bit until they get over it.

Well, I think that's the point. If someone is trying to undergo hypnotism to stop doing a behavior they are ashamed of doing when drunk rather than just deciding maybe they shouldn't drink so much, it really does suggest there's more of a drinking problem than just a doing silly things when drunk problem. If someone can't even attend a party where drinking is happening because they know they will not be able to turn down the drinks and will resort to foolish behavior, that is an alcohol problem...or really bad choices of friends if they don't respect your decisions to not drink and keep pushing it on you when you try to tell them no.

Either way, it sounds like the first thing to do is just avoid those situations where a lot of drinking happens and stay sober until you're back in control of either your drinking or your behavior when drinking, and perhaps only have one or two rather than gettings smashed to the point of losing all inhibitions. Perhaps one could consider themself lucky if the only stupid thing they're doing when drinking is sending obnoxious text messages. There are far worse things one could do and it's better to get control of oneself before it gets to that stage. Learn your limits.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program; usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves..."

There is a reason why this is read at the beginning of each meeting: It's because it hasn't yet sunk in! Sure, you may know the 5th Chapter verbatim, and have it so well-memorized that you can recite it to a friend from rote memory, but the real reason behind your difficulties is that you're not being rigorously honest with yourself; you haven't let the meaning of the 5th Chapter sink in yet, despite the pride you take in memorizing it. Pretend you are being honest and a few days later you'll remember where the closest liquor store is, and march promptly toward it. Understand why the 5th Chapter is read at each and every meeting--and live by it for the first time in your program--and you'll never have to darken the doorsteps of a liquor store or bar again! :smile:

What on earth... was that a rhetorical statement or what?

I feel as though I've missed something.

xxChrisxx said:
What on earth... was that a rhetorical statement or what?

I feel as though I've missed something.

I deliberately made the post cryptic so that only a select few will 'understand.'

Well it doesn't tax the imagination working out what you are saying. That's got to be some AA thing, obviously a mantra. as you stated said at the start of every meeting and its probably in the 5th chapter of an AA book.

I'm not bashing it or you, I'm just struggling to see the relevence to the thread.

EDIT: -I guess what I am trying to ask is, was the statement loaded in any way? Are you suggesting the OP is an alcoholic? or were you just saying is as a matter of course?

Last edited:

xxChrisxx said:
Well it doesn't tax the imagination working out what you are saying. That's got to be some AA thing, obviously a mantra. as you stated said at the start of every meeting and its probably in the 5th chapter of an AA book.

I'm not bashing it or you, I'm just struggling to see the relevence to the thread.

EDIT: -I guess what I am trying to ask is, was the statement loaded in any way? Are you suggesting the OP is an alcoholic? or were you just saying is as a matter of course?

Of course as a matter of course! :tongue2:

We now have two pages of alcohol talk. My post is very relevant indeed. Anyone who understands will verify its relevence.

xxChrisxx said:

As I noted earlier AA people tend to think that an alcoholic is an alcoholic is an alcoholic. If you show signs of being an alcoholic then you almost invariably are one, and I think that their nod to the possibility you may not be is usually just being polite or trying not to appear too dogmatic.

No offense Neo. I am only making a general statement and do not mean necessarily to include you.

First try to stop your drinking habit then everything will fall into place.
go to a counselor and try to find a solution for the drinking habit.
i don't think hypnotism has anything to do with your case as your habit is due to rinking.