Having a bit of trouble with Electric currents and resistance

In summary: I think this would be a more beneficial design.In summary, the equation states that the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances, which is independent of temperature. This equation can be used to determine the temperature coefficient of resistance for a given material, and can be useful for determining the stability of resistors at different temperatures.
Divergent13
Hey there! This question has be a bit confused as to where to start---

Suppose you made a 4.70 k-Ohm resistor from a carbon resistor and a Nichrome wire wound resistor connected together so the total resistance is the sum of their separate resistances. What value should each of these resistors have (at 0 degrees Celsius) so the combination is temperature independent?

My question is how can we make it temperature independent? I am having trouble in general---- understanding what that means...

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

A lot of the ideas in this chapter play a big role in materials science so I am quite interested in this part of the course--- more so than mechanics :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, I don't know. Apparently, the resistivity of one material will increase with temperature while the other will decrease. Then, you would want the resulting increase in resistance to compensate for the resulting decrease in resistance. You are probably just supposed to determine this for small variations around 0oC. I will look into this further and come back to share what I have found.

What I found (source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/restmp.html):

R = R0 {1 + αΔT}

Where R is the resistance, R0 is the resistance at 0oC in your case, α is the temperature coefficient of resistance, and ΔT is the temperature in oC in your case.

carbon: αC = -5E-4 per Co

nichrome: αN = 4E-4 per Co

Then, you want

Rtotal = constant = RC + RN

where RC = R0,C {1 + αCΔT}

and RN = R0,N {1 + αNΔT}

Last edited:
Agree with Turin -- these cancellations only are valid over a small range of temerature and you cannot expect carbon to be very stable or repetitive from one resistor to the next.

Interesting, we have not learned what is shown on the site that turin has found. If you have any more suggestions please post. But if not then Ill try to work with what turin has stated.

divergent,
You may have learned a simple and straighforward equation into which you simply plug the temperature coefficients. The crap that I have listed is the next level down in the derivation.

What you posted doesn't seem like its bad, I was able to get solution that both Rs added get 4.5...

After thinking somemore about it, I think it would be better to connect the resistors in parallel, rather than series. You want:

Rtotal = RNRC / (RN + RC) = constant.

That way, you alleviate more of the heating effect that would take the resistors far away from the 0oC point by reducing the current that goes through them.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A).

2. What causes resistance in an electric circuit?

Resistance is caused by factors such as the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature. These factors determine how easily the electric charge can flow through the circuit.

3. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance (R) can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that R = V/I, where V is the voltage and I is the current. Alternatively, it can be calculated using R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the conductor, and A is the cross-sectional area.

4. What is the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance?

According to Ohm's law, the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

5. How can resistance be reduced in an electric circuit?

Resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, increasing the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and reducing the length of the conductor. Additionally, using thicker wires and keeping the temperature low can also help reduce resistance.