1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having a brain fart about permutations

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1
    ok, very very simple, but I cannot for the life of me remember this.

why is (12)(13) = 132? I can't work it out...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why? Because it's not!

P.S. I recommend BEANO for your condition. :-)

4. Dec 13, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mmm, your permutations are applied right to left? I think Tide goes the other way, left to right...not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

If in doubt, apply your lhs and rhs permutations to 123 and see what heppens. Both sides should give the same permutation.

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you start with 3 elements, say (A, B, C) then (12) places A in the second position but (13) does not affect the element in the second position so the result must start with (12... Yes, this is "left-right" which I believe is the convention.

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it's as conventional as other conventions though. :tongue2:

All the texts I have handy work right to left, though a few mention that left to right is also common. I'd wager semidevil's going right to left since it works for his problem.

7. Dec 14, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shmoe,

I suppose some conventions are more conventional than others! :wink:

In any case, semidevil should be following the "conventions" prescribed in his class and he might inform us which one they are using if he/she expects further assistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?