Having a brain fart about permutations

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (12)(13) = 132 and the confusion around its correctness. The conversation also touches on different conventions for ordering permutations and suggests using a simple example to verify the results. Finally, the conversation ends with a recommendation for a product to help with memory loss.
semidevil
ok, very very simple, but I cannot for the life of me remember this.

why is (12)(13) = 132? I can't work it out...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why? Because it's not!

P.S. I recommend BEANO for your condition. :-)

Mmm, your permutations are applied right to left? I think Tide goes the other way, left to right...not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

If in doubt, apply your lhs and rhs permutations to 123 and see what heppens. Both sides should give the same permutation.

If you start with 3 elements, say (A, B, C) then (12) places A in the second position but (13) does not affect the element in the second position so the result must start with (12... Yes, this is "left-right" which I believe is the convention.

Tide said:
IYes, this is "left-right" which I believe is the convention.

I don't think it's as conventional as other conventions though. :tongue2:

All the texts I have handy work right to left, though a few mention that left to right is also common. I'd wager semidevil's going right to left since it works for his problem.

Shmoe,

I suppose some conventions are more conventional than others! :wink:

In any case, semidevil should be following the "conventions" prescribed in his class and he might inform us which one they are using if he/she expects further assistance.

1. What is a brain fart?

A brain fart is a temporary lapse in memory or thinking that can occur when trying to recall something specific or solve a problem.

2. What are permutations?

Permutations refer to the different ways in which a set of objects or elements can be arranged in a specific order.

3. How common are brain farts when dealing with permutations?

Brain farts can occur when dealing with any type of problem or task, so they are not specific to permutations. However, they may be more common when trying to solve complex permutation problems due to the amount of information and calculations involved.

4. How can I prevent brain farts when working with permutations?

One way to prevent brain farts is to practice and familiarize yourself with different permutation techniques. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh mind. Additionally, double-checking your work and using tools such as calculators can help reduce the chances of making a mistake.

5. Are there any strategies for quickly solving permutation problems?

Yes, there are many strategies for solving permutation problems efficiently. Some common techniques include using factorial notation, using the fundamental counting principle, and identifying patterns or symmetries within the problem. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic math concepts such as combinations and probability.