Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having a Life

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    Just wondering

How do you guys spend so much time talking on an online forum? Dont you have time for other activities? Or do you always have convenient access to a computer?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Another that is not plugged into the nexus :surprised

4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

In my case, it used to be late at night. Now that I'm in a domestic relationship, I do it during breakfast, at work all day, and in the evening before the good stuff comes on TV.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Browsing forums while doing math homework is a hobby of mine.

I find it easier to think about math when I'm thinking about math than when I'm, say, throwing a pencil up and down for an hour followed by an hour of wondering why it took me so long to prove r!/rr < 1

6. Nov 4, 2006 #5
    I probably have too much of a life, so when I need to do some homework or research I come on here to keep me focused and interested in what I am doing. (This place can be a distraction, and a way of procrastinating but it can also be a great help.) Its also great to chat to really nice people from across the world and hear their ideas about things.

7. Nov 4, 2006 #6
    you mean its true its not just a ... myth... there is a mysterious outside world...... freaky o_O

8. Nov 4, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

It's simply one of the activities, and that's it. One can find time for everything if he wants to, it's no big philosophy. :cool:

9. Nov 4, 2006 #8
    where now days isn't there a computer close by at any time :D
    its great really... A global network of instant information. ^^

However alot of work places don't like their employees watching forums :-/
    want us working... What a weird concept sigh... Working.. :P

10. Nov 4, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live in a small town. There isn't much life to be had here. :rolleyes:

11. Nov 4, 2006 #10
    Who needs life when you have machines?

If you never move more more than three feet from your desk (it's what they invented coffee makers for, after all), you'll find you always have access to your machine.

Some of us, and they shall remain nameless in some sort of marginal effort to protect the innocent, have been known to sleep under our desks every night for years on end.

12. Nov 5, 2006 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

No one here HAS a life. For most people here, this IS their real life - except for me. I used to be just like them. :biggrin: But, my fingers were getting cramped all of the time and my eyesight was getting worse... Now I just drive the PF supersonic RV around and cause trouble. BTW, the RV's in the shop for a few more days. I blew the turbo-charger. :rolleyes: Not to worry, tho - it'll be ready for the Thanksgiving trip. :biggrin:

13. Nov 5, 2006 #12
    pfft shows what you know...take a look at some of the topics and then comment. :rolleyes:

To save you the trouble of looking I thought I'd quote one of PF's favourite, most modest and just plain cool members. Now this is someone who HAS a life! If you don't think Fabio has a life then I don't know if anyone could have a life in your eyes :wink:

Seriously though, I don't think anyone on here spends their whole day on the forum. They will probably browse the forum every day, but that doesn't take too much time up.

14. Nov 5, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I stay on as long as new stuff is coming up in threads that interest me. I used to stay logged on all day, even if I wasn't at the computer, but now I log out every time I leave so people won't wonder why I'm not responding to something. I do indeed have a life beyond this; when I log off of here, I go to the AARP site and do the daily jigsaw puzzle. :approve:

15. Nov 6, 2006 #14
    He's just had life handed to him on a platter.

16. Nov 9, 2006 #15
    browsing forums when sitting in a boring lecture that takes place in a computer lab... like right now :biggrin:

17. Nov 10, 2006 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Laptops have definitely changed business meetings. You can tell how many meetings the instructor for my night class had to sit through during her day job by the quality of the lecture notes she hands out. On a good day? bad day? the lecture notes wind up being 20 some pages long, plus a few handouts of things she downloaded off the internet.

That's a change from the old days. In the old days, people used to walk out of boring meetings with a big red blotch somewhere on their face because they fell asleep even with their fist propping up their head.

The "I'm intently studying the notes" was particularly aesthetic since it usually left a nice red spot right in the middle of someone's forehead.

18. Nov 10, 2006 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the good old days with professors actually organized the courses atleast a little bit.

19. Nov 10, 2006 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I spend most of my time sitting in front of my computer for work as well as for research purposes. If there isn't a deadline looming, PF tends to get blended in the mix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?