Exploring the Validity of x=-2 as an Asymptote

• Thread starter Wi_N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: You might want to try reading the thread more carefully in order to better understand what is being said.
Wi_N
Homework Statement
lim(x->-2) (x^2 +2x) /(1-abs(x+3))
Relevant Equations
setting the limit we get 2.
but plugging -2 you clearly get a 0/0 answer. which one is correct?
is x=-2 an asymptote?

Physics news on Phys.org
But this is not necessarily a contradiction. This is needed for continuity but not for the existence of a limit.

Wi_N said:
Homework Statement: lim(x->-2) (x^2 +2x) /(1-abs(x+3))
Homework Equations: setting the limit we get 2.

but plugging 2 you clearly get a 0/0 answer. which one is correct?
is x=-2 an asymptote?
The limit is of the form ##0/0## which is why it's non trivial to evaluate.

It's not an asymptote. It's simply the limit at ##x = -2##.

Remember - the limit as a function approaches c is a different concept than the value of a function at c. If you get an indeterminate form like 0/0 or infinity/infinity, you typically have to do some more math to evaluate the limit. In this case, try factoring, and take into account that the abs function is a piecewise function

Wi_N said:
Homework Statement: lim(x->-2) (x^2 +2x) /(1-abs(x+3))
Homework Equations: setting the limit we get 2.

but plugging -2 you clearly get a 0/0 answer. which one is correct?
is x=-2 an asymptote?
The point with limits of the form 0/0 is that you cannot just ”plug in” the value of the variable.

Orodruin said:
The point with limits of the form 0/0 is that you cannot just ”plug in” the value of the variable.

ok well what happens with the function at EXACTLY f(-2) ? limits we are tending to a point. I want to to know what happens at that exact point. surely its undefined.

Wi_N said:
ok well what happens with the function at EXACTLY f(-2) ? limits we are tending to a point. I want to to know what happens at that exact point. surely its undefined.
The function is undefined at that point. The limit depends only on values of the function at other points.

PeroK said:
The function is undefined at that point. The limit depends only on values of the function at other points.
ok if its undefined at that point then surely x=-2 is an asymptote.

Wi_N said:
Look up the definition of asymptote. That's something different.

##x = -2## is a vertical line, which is not an asymptote of your function.

PeroK said:
Look up the definition of asymptote. That's something different.

##x = -2## is a vertical line.
which the function cannot cross since its undefined at that point, ergo an asymptote. we can have horizontal, vertical and also y=kx+m asymptotes.

Wi_N said:
which the function cannot cross since its undefined at that point, ergo an asymptote. we can have horizontal, vertical and also y=kx+m asymptotes.
That's not an asymptote. Look up the definition.

If you've come to learn, believe me that's not an asymptote.

For this function, see if you can find the real asymptotes. There are two.

PeroK said:
That's not an asymptote. Look up the definition.

If you've come to learn, believe me that's not an asymptote.

For this function, see if you can find the real asymptotes. There are two.

ya forgot lim fx/x thanks

Wi_N said:
What you have is a removable discontinuity at ## x = -2##.

PeroK said:
What you have is a removable discontinuity at ## x = -2##.

can i say the function is undefined at x=-2?

Wi_N said:
Yes.

PeroK said:
Yes.
so how is that different from using asymptotes when figuring out where the function is defined. so the function is NOT defined at X=-2?

so its defined from (inf, -4) then from (-4,-2) then from (-2, inf) ?

"asymptote" and "undefined" are not synonyms. Did you do as @PeroK suggested several times and look up the definition of "asymptote"?

If x=-2 were an asymptote, the values of f would become indefinitely close to it. Notice they do not do so in actuality.

Likes Wi_N
so writing the definition parameters x=-2 is undefined? well that is what I've been saying the entire time. if you read the thread I am getting mixed signals here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wi_N said:
Yes, it's undefined at x = -2.
Wi_N said:
Wi_N said:
It's fairly obvious that the function is undefined at x = -2. The whole point of evaluating this limit is to determine whether there is a removable discontinuity at x = -2 (a "hole" in the graph) or that the function's values become unbounded (go to ##\infty## or ##-\infty## -- a vertical asymptote).
Wi_N said:
so writing the definition parameters x=-2 is undefined? well that is what I've been saying the entire time. if you read the thread I am getting mixed signals here.
The signals being sent to you are very clear.

Whoa you guys should get hazard pay for this thread! Kudos for keeping a cool heads.

Likes epenguin and PeroK
why is y=x-2 an asymptote

but y=-x is not?

the math checks out.

Wi_N said:
why is y=x-2 an asymptote
It's not. Why do you think it is?
Wi_N said:
but y=-x is not?
I agree that y = -x is an oblique asymptote. Does your textbook say otherwise?
Wi_N said:
the math checks out.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
It's not. Why do you think it is?
I agree that y = -x is an oblique asymptote. Does your textbook say otherwise?

it says y=x-2 is and y=-x is not. is it possible y=x-2 is an asymptote for x<-3 ? and vice versa?

Wi_N said:
it says y=x-2 is and y=-x is not. is it possible y=x-2 is an asymptote for x<-3 ? and vice versa?
For very large x, I get an oblique asymptote of y = -x. For very negative x, I get an oblique asymptote of y = x - 2, which agrees with what you have.

If x > -3, |x + 3| = x + 3.
If x > -2 (to omit the discontinuity at x = -2),
$$\frac{x^2 + 2x}{1 - |x + 3|} = \frac{x^2 + 2x}{1 - x - 3} = \frac{x^2 + 2x}{- x - 2}$$
Simply by factoring the last expression we can see that if x > -2, we get y = -x.

Likes Wi_N
Mark44 said:
For very large x, I get an oblique asymptote of y = -x. For very negative x, I get an oblique asymptote of y = x - 2, which agrees with what you have.

$$\frac{x^2 + 2x}{1 - |x + 3|} = \frac{x^2 + 2x}{1 - x - 3} = \frac{x^2 + 2x}{- x - 2}$$
Simply by factoring the last expression we can see that if x > -2, we get y = -x.
so we have 3 asymptotes.
x=-4 for x<-3 (obvi)
y=x-2 for x<-3
y=-x for x>-3

Wi_N said:
so we have 3 asymptotes.
x=-4 for x<-3 (obvi)
Just say x = -4 is a vertical asymptote. Don't add "x < -3".
Wi_N said:
y=x-2 for x<-3
y=-x for x>-3
The latter two are oblique asymptotes. Horizontal and oblique asymptotes have to do with the graph's behavior for very large or very negative x values.

Likes Wi_N
Mark44 said:
Just say x = -4 is a vertical asymptote. Don't add "x < -3".
The latter two are oblique asymptotes. Horizontal and oblique asymptotes have to do with the graph's behavior for very large or very negative x values.

thank you.

Mark44 said:

As you show:

For ##x>-2## the function ## \dfrac{x^2 + 2x}{1 - |x+ 3|} ## is identically equal to ## x##.

So, for ##x>-2## the graph of our function lies directly on the graph ##y=x##. I wouldn't call that asymptotic behavior.

Not writing a waterproof complete explanation which would look more complicated than it is, but roughly on the graph of a function that contains abs if it has a zero and the same function without the abs is continuous, then the function will be continuous but have a kink in it, see blue-green curve in the attachment* at x = - 3.Then the abs incorporating into other functions can give you kinks at points which are not zeros, see dark red curve, which is our denominator.When a denominator is a zero and the numerator is also continuous and non-zero at that same point you have an infinite discontinuity, as you should already know, and as this illustrated in the jade curve at x = -4 which is our function, however if both numerator and denominator have a zero at the same point then usually the quotient will be finite there and continuous but kinked as here at x = -2.

These points are illustrated in the diagram, as also others discussed above, such as the asymptote and the special feature of this example, that for x > -3 , numerator and denominator have a common factor and the equation reduces to y = -x

*The equation for corresponding to each colour of curve is given in the last items in the list on the left, but take no notice of the preceding equations which are from other work that I did not manage to block out.

Attachments

• 399207E8-D671-4756-A285-69EBB39B7FCE.png
    399207E8-D671-4756-A285-69EBB39B7FCE.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Likes Wi_N

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a graph approaches but never touches. It can be horizontal, vertical, or slanted.

2. How do you determine if x=-2 is an asymptote?

To determine if x=-2 is an asymptote, you would need to graph the function and observe the behavior of the graph as x approaches -2. If the graph approaches a specific value as x gets closer to -2, then x=-2 is an asymptote.

3. What does it mean if x=-2 is an asymptote?

If x=-2 is an asymptote, it means that the graph of the function will never touch the line x=-2. This could indicate a discontinuity in the function or a limit that the function approaches as x gets closer to -2.

4. How do you prove the validity of x=-2 as an asymptote?

To prove the validity of x=-2 as an asymptote, you would need to use mathematical techniques such as limits and continuity. You could also use a graphing calculator or software to visually observe the behavior of the graph near x=-2.

5. Can x=-2 be both a vertical and horizontal asymptote?

Yes, x=-2 can be both a vertical and horizontal asymptote. This would indicate that the graph approaches a specific value as both x and y approach -2. This could happen if the function has a vertical and horizontal asymptote intersecting at the point (-2,-2).