Having a problem with this simple question

• Thread starter bwilhelm
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate percent error in a conservation of energy lab, use the formula (|Etotal - Elast|)/Etotal * 100.
bwilhelm

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate a percent of error in a conservation of energy lab, and for some reason I am completely drawing a blank.
Just so you know what I am looking at,
I have about 10 values or so in 3 columns labeled KE, PE, E. E is KE + PE

Homework Equations

I wrote down (Elast - E1st)/ (Etotal) and then multiply by 100. Something just seems wrong here and I don't know why. Is that correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this formula is incorrect. The correct formula to calculate percent error in a conservation of energy lab is (|Etotal - Elast|)/Etotal * 100. This formula calculates the absolute value of the difference between the total initial energy and the total final energy, then divides it by the total initial energy, and multiplies it by 100 to get the percent error.

It looks like you are on the right track with your equation. However, it may be helpful to break down your equation and understand each component. The percent of error is typically calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the experimental value and the accepted value, divided by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100. In this case, the experimental value would be (KE + PE) and the accepted value would be Etotal. So your equation would look like (|Etotal - (KE + PE)|/Etotal) * 100. This will give you the percent of error for each of your data points.

1. What do you mean by "having a problem with this simple question"?

By "having a problem with this simple question", we are referring to the difficulty or confusion one may experience when trying to understand or answer a seemingly straightforward question. It could be due to various reasons such as lack of knowledge, misunderstanding, or cognitive barriers.

2. How can I overcome a problem with a simple question?

One way to overcome a problem with a simple question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help to clarify the question and make it easier to answer. Additionally, seeking help from others or doing further research can also be helpful in understanding and answering the question.

3. Is having a problem with a simple question a sign of incompetence?

No, having a problem with a simple question does not necessarily indicate incompetence. It is common for individuals to face difficulties with certain questions, and it does not reflect their overall knowledge or abilities. It is important to seek clarification and actively try to understand the question rather than assuming incompetence.

4. What should I do if I have a problem with a simple question during a test or presentation?

If you encounter a problem with a simple question during a test or presentation, try not to panic. Take a deep breath and read the question carefully. If you are still unsure, you can ask for clarification from the teacher or presenter. Remember to stay calm and focused, and do not let one question affect your performance on the rest of the test or presentation.

5. Are there any strategies I can use to prevent or minimize problems with simple questions?

Yes, there are several strategies you can use to prevent or minimize problems with simple questions. These include actively listening and taking notes when receiving instructions or information, asking for clarification when needed, and practicing critical thinking skills to better understand and analyze questions. It can also be helpful to review and summarize information regularly to reinforce understanding.