1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having difficulty finding the inverse laplace transform

1. Aug 14, 2004 #1
    Having difficulty finding the inverse laplace transform!!

Hello everyone, I am really stuck on finding the inverse Laplace transform for this:

[tex]f(s)=\frac{5se^{-3s} - e^{-3s}}{s^{2}-4s+17}[/tex]

Heres my reasoning: I feel that I should rewrite the denominator in some kind of form such as (s-2)^2 + 13, and note the similarity with some of the problems ive been doing before, however its that 13 that is bothering me! Its not something you can take the squareroot of--- and also in addtion, I tried factoring out e^-3s on top and splitting this into two equations, but its this denominator that I absolutely despise.

Any help with finding the right method would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've forgotten just about every transform formula I knew (and I'm not in the mood rederiving them), but you may write [tex]13=(\sqrt{13})^{2}[/tex]

if that helps..

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    hmm i still am having difficulty---

5. Aug 14, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, what about rewriting:
    [tex]e^{-3s}=e^{-6}e^{-3(s-2)}[/tex]

Then you would get one expression on the form:
    [tex]k\frac{e^{-3w}}{w^{2}+a^{2}},k=-e^{-6},w=s-2,a=\sqrt{13}[/tex]

Is this a familiar transform in w?

6. Aug 14, 2004 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The exponentials are due to shifts in the t-domain:

L{f(t-T)}=e-sTF(s).

Just find the inverse transform of the rational functions of s, and then let the t-domain functions be delayed by the appropriate amount, given by the coefficient in the exponents of the exp functions.

7. Aug 14, 2004 #6
    interesting let me see if i can get anywhere with that...

8. Aug 14, 2004 #7
    Uh oh, you see, I cannot split the denominator into two linear factors like the book seems to be doing with most of the problems---- and because I cant, i dont know how to proceed like the examples do... Im sorry if im a bit slow but we just started Laplace and this is a challenge problem id like to know to prepare.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  9. Aug 15, 2004 #8
    Well I cannot solve it but thanks for your help anyway...

10. Aug 16, 2004 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could factor the denominator into 2 linear factors, but the roots of that polynomial are complex. It would be better instead to complete the square in the denominator. The solution will be t-shifted, exponentially damped sines and cosines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?