Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having Fun - is it an evolutionary advantage?

1. Mar 13, 2004 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

How would the concept of having fun benefit animals? To the point in which natural selection favors animals that have fun over animals that do not have fun.

I know it would benefit young animals, but how would the concept of fun benefit an older animal, especially to the point in which natural selection favors the animals that have fun? Would it be due to the positive effects of having fun? If so though, then how did fun give positive hormonal effects in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2004 #2
    I am not sure that you completely understand natural selection. It only deals with passing genes not the lifestyle of those passing the genes.

Unless, of course sex = fun. Then it would have a direct effect.

Nautica

4. Mar 13, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you could relate 'fun' to social behaviour, thus survival.

5. Mar 13, 2004 #4
    Play is a great learning tool.

6. Mar 13, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For instance big cats, they are not social animals since they live alone and the mother is the sole caretaker of the litter. The kittens are extremely playfull though. Maybe in certain species this playfullness evolved into social behaviour and thus was stretched beyond childhood years, to stay into adulthood.

7. Mar 13, 2004 #6
    In cats most of the social behavior is training for later needed hunting skills.

Nautica

8. Mar 13, 2004 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

I would also point out that the definition of "fun" may be directly related to superior survivability. That is to say, look at what activities would be considered "fun", do they not generally include the developement of skills that increase the chances of survival?

When you ride a roller-coaster (or participate in almost any other "thrill-seeking" activity), you experience conditions that should kill you in any natural setting. A human being cannot plumit from such great hieghts and survive without technology's intervention. In secaping from such a situation alive, you trigger a flood of dopamine, some seratonin (I think), and endorphins of every type. These reinforce whatever behavior got you out alive.

And the value of play as a learning tool has already been mentioned by Loren.

9. Mar 13, 2004 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What about jokes as defusers of tension? Not to mention the sexual selection of wit ("Girls like boys who are funny" I read in a dating manual when I was around 12.) Probably the evolutionary causes of having fun are as complex and nuanced as the various definitions of it are.

10. Mar 13, 2004 #9
    Is fun more prevalent in particular human societies?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?