Solving Mechanics Problems: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter stacerho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the problem involves a frictionless surface with two tracks at a 60 degree angle from horizontal. A 350 kg mass is released from rest at a height of 3.2 m and collides elastically with a 468 kg mass at rest on the horizontal surface. The 468 kg mass then slides up a similar track. The task is to find the speed of the 468 kg mass after the collision and the maximum height it will slide to. The solution involves finding all forces, drawing force arrows, and using conservation of energy and momentum. The key concept is that in an elastic collision, no kinetic energy is transformed into heat.
stacerho
here is my problem:

The surfaces are frictionless. The tracks are 60degrees from horizontal. A 350 kg mass is released from rest on a track at a height 3.2 m above a horizontal surface at the foot of the slope. It collides elastically with a 468 kg mass initially at rest on the horizontal surface. The mass 468 kg slides up a similar track. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

Part 1) What is the speed of the block 468 kg immediately after the collision? Answer in units of m/s.

Part 2) To what maximum height h2 above the horizontal surface will the mass 468 kg slide? Answer in units of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you attempted thus far?

Nothing, I'm completely stumped, I don't even know where to begin. this class has just driven me crazy. I'm having a baby in a few weeks and just cannot figure this stuff out it's completely warn me out.

stacerho said:
Nothing, I'm completely stumped, I don't even know where to begin.

What textbook are you using for this class. What does it say about what happens in elastic collisions? Is any particular quantity conserved?

Congratulations on the upcoming baby, BTW!

stacerho said:
here is my problem:

The surfaces are frictionless. The tracks are 60degrees from horizontal. A 350 kg mass is released from rest on a track at a height 3.2 m above a horizontal surface at the foot of the slope. It collides elastically with a 468 kg mass initially at rest on the horizontal surface. The mass 468 kg slides up a similar track. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

Part 1) What is the speed of the block 468 kg immediately after the collision? Answer in units of m/s.

Part 2) To what maximum height h2 above the horizontal surface will the mass 468 kg slide? Answer in units of m.

You just draw force arrows (composants) for the initial configuration (all forces). In the elastic collision no kinetic energy is transformed to heat.
Potential energy ( initial) Becomes kinetic energy when you release the 350kg, and in the collision the two bodies "share" the energy so that linear momentum is conserved. Then the kinetic energy of the 468kg is transformed into potential energy (when it slides up the slope).

This is the procedure for ALL basic mechanics problems. Find all forces, draw composants, find the acceleration, energy (if elestic and no friction, that means no kinetic energy is transformed into heat) and momentum conservations.

1. Why is homework important?

Homework is important because it allows students to practice and reinforce what they have learned in class. It also helps to develop important skills such as time management and self-discipline.

2. What can I do if I am struggling with homework?

If you are struggling with homework, it is important to communicate with your teacher and ask for help. You can also try breaking down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks and seeking additional resources or tutoring.

3. How can I stay motivated to do my homework?

Staying motivated to do homework can be challenging, but setting goals, creating a schedule, and rewarding yourself for completing tasks can help. It is also important to find a quiet and comfortable study space and eliminate distractions.

4. How much time should I spend on homework?

The amount of time spent on homework can vary depending on the subject, grade level, and individual learning style. As a general guideline, the National Education Association recommends 10 minutes of homework per grade level per night (e.g. 30 minutes for 3rd grade, 60 minutes for 6th grade).

5. What should I do if I can't understand the homework assignment?

If you are having trouble understanding the homework assignment, it is important to reach out to your teacher for clarification. You can also try breaking down the assignment into smaller parts and using additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups.