1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having lots of trouble with a few problems that are due tonight please help

1. Jun 24, 2004 #1
    having lots of trouble with a few problems that are due tonight...please help!!!

1. A 0.28F capacitor is desired. What area must the plates have if they are to be separated by 1.2mm air gap?

I used C=E0 (A/d) and I keep getting the same and wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

2. What potential difference acting over a distance of 3.5cm would be needed to balance the downward force of gravity so that an electron would remain stationary? Assume the electric field is uniform.

I used V=mass of electron*gravity*0.035m/1.6*E-19, and that gave me the wrong answer. Help anyone.

3. A 9.4V battery is connected to a bulb whose resistance is 2.1ohms. How many electrons leave the battery per minute.

I used ohm's law I=9.4/2.1 to get the current 4.476C/s. Then I multiplied 4.476c/s*60s/1.6E-19 and got 1.68E-17 electrons/minute...and that answer was wrong...any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your methods all look correct. Show your work in the first two problems--I suspect an arithmetic error. That's what happened in problem 3: check those exponents.

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    I still keep getting the wrong answers can you show me what to do...I just plugged the numbers into the formulas

5. Jun 25, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

check your arithmetic

You know what to do, you are just making arithmetic errors. Show the actual numbers you are plugging into the equations.

For example, you showed your work for problem 3: The numbers are right, but the answer is wrong. Redo your calculation carefully. You messed up the exponent in the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?