1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having Multiple Careers?

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    Greetings Physics Forums!

I am currently applying to universities here in the United States and have been fascinated with engineering, physics, and mathematics for years now. I love the idea of designing and building as an engineer, researching and discovering as a physicist and research as a mathematician. I have also recently come across the idea of a "slash career," where an individual possesses multiple careers and specializations. My question to you ladies and gentlemen, is how I might combine engineering, physics, and mathematics into one career or possibly allowing them to exist as multiple work oppurtunites at the same time. Any advice for an aspiring student will be very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is your plan to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, or is your plan to do three things as well as full-timers do?

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Or he could be a manager.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
    It would be amazing to do all three as well as full-timers do!

6. Oct 30, 2015 #5

Dale

That will take about 120 hours per week, or more. Sounds like a truly miserable life.

7. Oct 30, 2015 #6
    I completely agree. I merely jest at that fact, but I want something that possibly combines all of them. Would a research job fulfill such? Any suggestions?

8. Oct 31, 2015 #7

Dale

Most engineering work will involve physics and math. Experimental physics work will involve engineering and math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook