Having problem with intergrate : _ _/ 4 / (x^2-2x-1)

• Thread starter expscv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrating a mathematical expression and using a math input tool. It is suggested to use latex for images and a trig substitution for the integral. The conversation also touches on completing the square and using partial fractions to solve the integral. The individual expresses gratitude for the help and apologizes for a mistake regarding trigonometric functions.
expscv
having problem with intergrate :

... _
_/ 4 / (x^2-2x-1) dx

thx

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
btw how to use maths input thing?

trig and latex, in that order.

huh? i m not sure wats exactly.

ok, to do the integral requires a trig subsitution, and to do the images, which is what I think you meant by "maths input thing" you need to use latex, which isnt' as odd as it might appear. there's a sticky thread somewhere explaining it, I beleieve if you go ot the general physics forum it's the first thread there. it takes a little memorizing but it's worth it.

[tex] \int\frac{1}{x^2-2x-1}dx[/tex]

click on the image and it should show you the source code for it

Last edited:
Getting back to the original problem, to integrate [itex] \int\frac{4}{x^2-2x-1}dx[/itex] try completing the square in the denominator: x2- 2x- 1= x2- 2x+ 1- 2= (x-1)2-2. Make the change of variable u= x-1 and the integral becomes [itex]\int\frac{4}{u^2-2}du[/itex]. Now the denominator factors as
[itex]u^2-2= (u-\sqrt{2})(u+\sqrt{2})[/itex] and the integral can be done by partial fractions.

[tex] \int \frac{4}{x^2-2x-1} dx = \int \frac{4}{(x-1)^2-2}dx [/tex]?

great thx

ah, apologies, it's hyperbolic trig, not trig.

What does "having problem with integrate" mean?

"Having problem with integrate" means encountering difficulty while trying to find the integral of a given function. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as the complexity of the function or a lack of understanding of integration techniques.

What is the given function, 4 / (x^2-2x-1), used for?

The given function, 4 / (x^2-2x-1), is a rational function used to represent the relationship between two variables, where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials. This function can be used to solve various mathematical problems, such as finding the area under a curve or calculating the volume of a solid.

What are some common techniques for integrating this function?

Some common techniques for integrating this function include using the Power Rule, u-substitution, and integration by parts. It may also be helpful to simplify the function through factoring or partial fraction decomposition before attempting to integrate.

How can I check if my integration is correct?

You can check if your integration is correct by taking the derivative of your result and comparing it to the original function. If the derivative matches the original function, then your integration is likely correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a math teacher or tutor for assistance.

What are some tips for improving my integration skills?

Some tips for improving your integration skills include practicing regularly, familiarizing yourself with various integration techniques, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a math tutor. It may also be helpful to work through problems step-by-step and to review your work thoroughly for mistakes.