1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having some difficulty with a Trip. Integral in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Hi everybody

The integral in question is the triple integral of x dV over the region E, where E is enclosed by the planes z=0, and z=x+y+3, and the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = 4 and x^2 + y^2 = 9.

Well--- so far in cylindrical coordinates I know the r limits will be from 2 to 3 since the cylinders are in the form x^2 + y^2 = r^2

And the Theta limits will be 0 to 2pi.

The z limits are what are bothering me. I believe the lower z limit will be 0, but the upper one is quite confusing. x+y+3 .... am I correct in assuming this should be written as rcos(theta) + rsin(theta) + 3 ??

Lets just say thats right for now (which i know it isnt :frown: ) then I would end up getting an integrand with stuff like cos^2(x) which I know isnt a difficult integral if you use half angles, but it just doesn't seem like it should be this long and difficult. What can I do to change my limits?

Thanks for you help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are plenty of us who would say that even with those limits the integral is easy - it can be done by hand, thus it is easy (tedious, long and uninteresting perhaps).
    Your analysis seems correct - not all integrals have neat tricks that make things drop out without having to do some genuine integration. but let's see what happens:

[tex]\int_{r=2}^3 \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{z=0}^{r\cos\theta+r\sin\theta+3} r^2\cos\theta dzdrd\theta[/tex]
    [tex] = \int_{r=2}^3\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r^3\cos^2\theta+r^3\sin\theta\cos\theta+3r^2cos\theta drd\theta[/tex]

note that the cos(\theta)sin(\theta) integral and the cos(\theta) vanishes, and we can do the r integration first to get

[tex]\frac{65}{4}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} cos^2\theta[/tex]

which is fairly elementary (remember your fourier series?)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    Hey thanks matt I believe I got it--- and no that integral is not at all difficult...

Btw I have not studied fourier series--- only power and taylor series, and just basic ones in the my Calculus III course. :frown:

5. Apr 11, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, when you come to do fourier series, you'll have to learn about integrals of cos and sin , and see that they almost always come to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?