Having some difficulty with a Trip. Integral in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a triple integral problem in cylindrical coordinates. The limits for theta are determined to be 0 to 2pi and for r to be 2 to 3, but there is confusion about the z limits. The integral is then solved and found to be relatively easy, with the use of Fourier series mentioned as a helpful tool.
Divergent13
Hi everybody

The integral in question is the triple integral of x dV over the region E, where E is enclosed by the planes z=0, and z=x+y+3, and the cylinders x^2 + y^2 = 4 and x^2 + y^2 = 9.

Well--- so far in cylindrical coordinates I know the r limits will be from 2 to 3 since the cylinders are in the form x^2 + y^2 = r^2

And the Theta limits will be 0 to 2pi.

The z limits are what are bothering me. I believe the lower z limit will be 0, but the upper one is quite confusing. x+y+3 ... am I correct in assuming this should be written as rcos(theta) + rsin(theta) + 3 ??

Lets just say that's right for now (which i know it isn't :frown: ) then I would end up getting an integrand with stuff like cos^2(x) which I know isn't a difficult integral if you use half angles, but it just doesn't seem like it should be this long and difficult. What can I do to change my limits?

Thanks for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are plenty of us who would say that even with those limits the integral is easy - it can be done by hand, thus it is easy (tedious, long and uninteresting perhaps).
Your analysis seems correct - not all integrals have neat tricks that make things drop out without having to do some genuine integration. but let's see what happens:

[tex]\int_{r=2}^3 \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}\int_{z=0}^{r\cos\theta+r\sin\theta+3} r^2\cos\theta dzdrd\theta[/tex]
[tex] = \int_{r=2}^3\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r^3\cos^2\theta+r^3\sin\theta\cos\theta+3r^2cos\theta drd\theta[/tex]

note that the cos(\theta)sin(\theta) integral and the cos(\theta) vanishes, and we can do the r integration first to get

[tex]\frac{65}{4}\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} cos^2\theta[/tex]

which is fairly elementary (remember your Fourier series?)

Last edited:
Hey thanks matt I believe I got it--- and no that integral is not at all difficult...

Btw I have not studied Fourier series--- only power and taylor series, and just basic ones in the my Calculus III course. :frown:

ah, when you come to do Fourier series, you'll have to learn about integrals of cos and sin , and see that they almost always come to zero.

1. What is a trip integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A trip integral in cylindrical coordinates is a way to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape in cylindrical coordinates. It involves integrating over a region of the shape using the cylindrical coordinate system.

2. Why might someone have difficulty with a trip integral in cylindrical coordinates?

Someone might have difficulty with a trip integral in cylindrical coordinates if they are not familiar with the cylindrical coordinate system or if they are not comfortable with integrating in three dimensions. It can also be challenging if the shape being integrated is complex.

3. How do you set up a trip integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a trip integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to define the limits of integration for each variable (radius, angle, and height). Then, you need to determine the function that represents the shape being integrated. Finally, you can use the cylindrical coordinate conversion equations to rewrite the function in terms of the cylindrical variables and set up the integral.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with trip integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Some common mistakes when working with trip integrals in cylindrical coordinates include not correctly setting up the limits of integration, forgetting to include the appropriate conversion factors, and making errors in the integration process. It is important to double-check all calculations and make sure the integral is set up correctly before solving.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trip integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

One way to improve your understanding of trip integrals in cylindrical coordinates is to practice working through various examples and problems. You can also review the basic principles of cylindrical coordinates and integration in general. Seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial in improving your understanding.