Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having the Hardest Time

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    I know at some point, years ago, I could differential equations in my sleep. But now after going through my old math book and reading a number of the threads here, I'm really confused. The problem I am looking to solve looks like this:

[itex]
    dV = - \mu V^2 t - \beta t
    [/itex]

where mu and beta are constants, t is time and V is horizontal velocity. I want to compute the horizontal velocity at time t given the initial horizontal velocity, mu and beta. My problem gets more complex with the second equation I need to solve:

[itex]
    dH = \gamma V^2 t - \alpha t
    [/itex]

where gamma and alpha are constants, t is time, V is horizontal velocity and H is vertical velocity. I want to compute the vertical velocity at time t given the initial horizontal velocity. I've been going nuts trying to make this work in my head. They look like rudimentary textbook problems, but I just can't seem to make sense of them. Could someone walk me through the steps?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In both equations the "dt" is missing.I can assume it should be in the RHS,case in which i would advise you to integrate directly both sides of the equations...

Daniel.

4. Feb 11, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

yes, the basic rule is balance units: i.e. if one side is a differential, the other is too.

5. Feb 11, 2005 #4
    Oops. Sorry, the t should have been dt. Corrected:

[itex]
    dV = - \mu V^2 dt - \beta dt
    [/itex]

[itex]
    dH = \gamma V^2 dt - \alpha dt
    [/itex]

So, how do I integrate these? Let's take the first one and divide by dt. Then I get:

[itex]
    \frac {dV} {dt} = - \mu V^2 - \beta
    [/itex]

Now what...

6. Feb 11, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You needn't have done that.U already had separated variables and u only had to integrate.

Daniel.

7. Feb 11, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EDIT:You've changed your equations a great deal and now the advice goes:SEPARATE VARIABLES...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?